Send Topic Print
replacement keys? (Read 289 times)
Bryan
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

replacement keys?
09/04/09 at 12:25:34

Okay, once again, I'm completely clueless about motorcycles.  Here's my problem:  I just bought my bike.  It didn't come with the key for the steering lock, and I'd really like to be able to lock the steering.  The ignition key (I call it that, but I guess it's really for a bunch of other stuff too, like the gas cap and maybe the helmet lock?) is pretty worn, and doesn't even open the chrome toolbox cover on the right side of the battery (thankfully it's already off, but I've never been able to unlock it to get it back on).  And I figure if it doesn't fit the toolbox cover, it's only a matter of time before it's so worn down it won't fit my ignition.  So I'd like a new ignition key and a steering lock key.

I know for cars, a lot of the time you can go to the dealer, give them your VIN, and as long as you can prove you own the vehicle (registration is normally sufficient), they'll cut a brand new key for you, and they only charge a couple bucks (from what I remember, been a while since I've had to do it).

I talked to the Suzuki dealer the other day, and they said they couldn't do anything like that, but that I'd have to call a locksmith.  Do I have any other alternatives?  It seems to me like it'd cost quite a bit for me to go to a locksmith and have them make a key for my ignition and steering lock.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Re: replacement keys?
Reply #1 - 09/04/09 at 12:41:58

IMHO the steering lock key is a waste of money and time. My bike did not come with the key for it either but it looks like a pretty useless lock.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #2 - 09/04/09 at 13:32:01

The steering lock is definitely useless. Don't bother. A simple $10 rotor lock would be a better choice to spend $$ on if you want security of some kind. Remember our bikes are some of the least stolen too.

I'm assuming you don't have the little aluminum plate that came with the original keys, it has the key code stamped on it. With that a locksmith can make you a like new key. If you can't get that code either from the PO or the dealer, then you have a couple of choices that are easy:

1.Take out the pins for the gascap, toolbox cover, and helmet lock.
Esentially then you can turn them with a screwdriver.
(You could also file them down to the existing key dimensions too)
2. Get a used lockset from ebay or the marketplace, or a bone yard. Exchange out your worn set for a slightly less worn set that hopefully has more than one key.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/04/09 at 14:13:46

+2 on the useless steering lock, it can be broken too easily.
And anyone who's going to steal your bike, most likely isn't going to ride away.  unless you left the keys in the steering lock.

To see how to rekey the tool box, see the tech section.  All the locks (except the steering lock) use the same system.  But getting in to them is a little different.

If not all then at least the early model bikes all have the key number stamped on the key and ig. cyl.  Look at the bottom of the ig cyl for the key number.  That number can be used to cut a new key.

Most often the tool box cover falls off durring a big grin event.
Yours was probably replaced and the PO didn't give you the key.
No one here has reported a key wear problem, not that everything that happens is reported.

The key is a special blank, can't walk into wally world and pick one up. (darn)
They can be order thou.  Take notice of the 1st letter of the key code.  That is the keyway, you must buy an identical keyway or it won't go in.

WWW   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #4 - 09/04/09 at 14:44:50

There is a place online to order keys.

If you had the key# to start the bike,would they automatically know what key fits the steering lock?

I mean is it a designated key for the steering lock that matches/goes with the key to start the bike? Undecided

Maybe my wishful thinking Grin

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/04/09 at 16:30:29

It sounds to me like the ignition lock has been replaced, thus the key that fits it does not fit any other parts either.
A good locksmith can set up your locks so that one key will work for all the devices. Not that you will be able to get the steering lock to work anyway.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 09/04/09 at 17:16:40

take the bike to your local locksmith they can do whatever you decide...
tool box and ing are the same,helemt lock i dont know dont use the lock...or a helmet either...stem lock is different for what its worth locks are for honest people anywho...talk to your insurance provider this is one of least likely bikes to be stolden..in most parts of the world...
if you have never stole anything your bike is safe...karma law

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Stimpy - FSO
Serious Thumper

SuzukisSavage Int'l
Division

Germany - formerly SD, SoCal
Reply #7 - 09/04/09 at 17:32:23

I too went to a key shop to make copies (I just got one set w/bike)
and the guy managed to make me in like 3 min a working set
made from different keys that where not meant for the savage.

The ignition key came from a blank that was for a Suzuki samurai
or a suzuki swift or one of those toy cars that suzuki makes, the key
IS larger and longer that the original but it works fine and was only
like $2.   *This blank key reads:  X241 - SUZ18 (ilco usa)

The lock key
was originally meant for a padlock or something
but was ground down to shape and ugly as it is it works fine too
and this one was about $1.50  Cheesy   *This blank key reads: M10

Hope this helps, good luck
RP

« Last Edit: 09/04/09 at 18:38:10 by Stimpy - FSO »  

Recently sold 97'savage (change of residence) - looking to buy another - just bought a temp, a great SR125 called 'methadone'
WWW Stimpy - FSO   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #8 - 09/04/09 at 17:53:11

Thanks Stimpy!
(If that guy did it surely any place that cuts keys can do it!)

I needed a extra set.  Cool

Online is much more expensive!

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #9 - 09/04/09 at 18:09:03

Telephone American Suzuki's customer service, 714-572-1490, and ask them how to get keys if you can show the bike's vehicle identification number (VIN) to the dealership.  If they tell you that it can be done, go to the bonehead dealer and TELL them how to do it.

If you have one key in good condition, any real locksmith can duplicate it.  Any key cutter may be able to...confirm that they offer a money back guarantee if it doesn't work.

IP Logged
ALfromN.H.  FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Dragon Slayer

Rochester, New Hampshire
Reply #10 - 09/04/09 at 18:10:49

I work at a lumber/hardware store and i know we have the "M10". I'll check to see if I have "X241" but i don't think so. I'm sure I can order them though.

AL

2006 Harley Electra Glide 2014-Present
2009 Suzuki C50 2010-2014
2005 Suzuki S40 2006-2013
camaro103060 camaro103060   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/04/09 at 19:33:50

Bryan,
Just my opinion. Notice the guys with all the stars by their names pretty much recommended a locksmith? I only have one star, but I can explain what they mean, I think. My wife works at WalMart and is excellent at helping customers. Sometimes she calls me at home to ask questions to help her cust. But WalMart and other chain stores cannot keep every little thing. Here's how to find a good locksmith. He may be in the Yellow Pages, but his add will be very small. He will be in the old part of town. There may be an old Ford van out front with what is left of a key painted on the side. His door will drag and stick slightly as you enter, unless it's just propped open. There will be a cat on a pile of magazines on the counter. But just in case, watch out for an old dog on the floor. He won't notice you, so don't trip over him. No cash register. He will be busy , but he will acknowledge you and hold your key to the light as he questions you. He will not judge you for wanting a key for something he would never ride, or he may tell you of his rides in the late 50s. He will take time with you , and if he cannot help you after all, he will be very sorry. Its a matter of pride. Don't belive me? Such a shop is 30 miles from here. Or it was 8 years ago. Sorry guys, I tend to be wordy.   Boofer

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #12 - 09/04/09 at 19:51:50

Boofer is correct. I went to a dealer closer to me than the one I frequent. Gave me some story about Yamaha keys. Bought 3 blanks. Went to the guy boofer detailed. In 5 minutes I had 3 perfect keys. $7.00 WOW!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #13 - 09/05/09 at 00:32:27

If the ignition works okay, then take the guts out of the tool box cover & mess with them till you can make the key open it or, this is risky,, make it so the key isnt even needed, gut the lock cylinder, use the key to rotate the lock into position & pull the key. But if you do that, it may fall off, IDK. If its hard enough to close the latch, maybe it will stay..? You culd piddle with it..Maybe its not worth the effort. If a locksmith is reasonable enough.

You Do need a spare key tho.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #14 - 09/06/09 at 09:50:40

I got 2 sets of keys with the new purchase of my S-40. I have written the codes down in my owner's manual should I ever need to have new keys made.

I use my lock and have no problems with it. I don't think of anyone riding it away as much as being able to place it in neutral and push it away. At least with the handle bars turned to the left and the forks locked it should make it harder for a person to simply walk up to it and place in neutral and push it away. That is why I use and will continue to lock my bike. I was warned by the salesman to be careful with the key for the lock as some have been known to break it off in the lock . It may not be the greatest yet again some prevention is better than none.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 01:51:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › replacement keys?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.