Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Solenoid? (Read 143 times)
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Solenoid?
09/04/09 at 09:18:27

Alright that must be the starter solenoid behind my airbox, correct? When I connect the 2 terminals with a screwdriver, the bike does turn over. So does that mean my sterter solenoid is bad? It has been 8 days with no riding and I am jonesing...

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Re: Solenoid?
Reply #1 - 09/04/09 at 09:52:16

yes, that is the solenoid for the starter.
The only thing you have proven is that the battery has enough juice to run the starter and that the starter will turn the engine.
Shorting around the solenoid does not prove that it is good or bad.

Apparently, when you hit the starter switch on the bike, it doesn't turn over.
To see if the solenoid is good or not, you need to put 12 volts on the control lead for the starter (where the Yellow with Black stripe wire is) and see if the bike turns over.
OR .. (preferred) just measure the voltage at that lead when you hit the starter switch.  If you get 12 volts, then the solenoid is bad.  If you don't, the problem is somewhere else.  (This assumes that the gound lead (black with white stripe) is properly grounded.  Measure that with an ohm meter)

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 09/04/09 at 09:54:01

+1

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 09/04/09 at 10:03:22

Did you ever run a hot wire to the yellow with green stripe on the decomp timer? That ought make it spin over.
If that battery isnt charged up good, itll spin but wont start.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #4 - 09/04/09 at 10:50:31

justin's post reminded me of something.
If you are trying to troubleshoot a problem with it cranking, it would be a good idea if you pulled out the spark plug.  Cranking it without the decomp working could cause damage to the starter or the starting gears.
Pulling out the spark plug will allow it to crank easier.

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #5 - 09/06/09 at 11:42:54

Everything seems to check out ok except for this device. Anyone know what this is?

K&N air filter, stage 1 jet set, SuperTrapp megaphone exhaust, solo seat w/ clothespin springs, stainless seatpan w/ fenderbib.1971 CB front fender and mirror.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #6 - 09/06/09 at 12:14:43

Thats the decomp timer. If you put 12 volts on the yellow wire with the green stripe, itll crank over. If you do that, make sure its in neutral. Did you get the post I put up on the how to?

OHH, IF you do put 12 V on that wire & it doesnt spin over, something is wrong .

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
doc5446

Into the night...

Randolph, Ohio
Reply #7 - 09/06/09 at 14:25:57

Well we (we being my buddy) put a switch off an old gas trimmer to start the motor. Good enough, at least she is back on the road. Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #8 - 09/06/09 at 18:33:26

& where did you put that sweetch? Yellow with green stripe wire?

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 03:28:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Solenoid?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.