Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Corrosion Spots on the Aluminium Alloys (Read 208 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Corrosion Spots on the Aluminium Alloys
09/04/09 at 04:32:32

I have some corroded spots on the front forks, and when I sand them out, and then put the "mothers" to them, the corroded spots (or the center of the area sanded) turn out shiny'er than the area around them that got sanded w/ it. Its like the finish on the aluminium has a clear coating put on it after it was polished ??? I don't understand it. When I'm done polishing it, the corosion spots are completely gone, but I end up w/ 2 noticeably different finishes, and it seems no amount of rubbing changes it.
Does anyone know what is causing this problem.
Thanks

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Corrosion Spots on the Aluminium Alloys
Reply #1 - 09/04/09 at 04:57:04

The aluminum is clear coated.

I'm just going to strip mine and have them powder coated.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 09/04/09 at 06:35:43

voldigicam wrote on 09/04/09 at 04:57:04:
The aluminum is clear coated.

I'm just going to strip mine and have them powder coated.

If they are clear coated, then what I am probably seeing is not corrosion, but the clear coat blistering.
I wonder how common that is ?
At any rate, I have to now decide what looks better, the blister spots, (looking like corrosion) or the clean 2 tone fihish spots.

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/04/09 at 09:28:25

most likely you have a rock strike on your fork that penetraited the clear coat and it will corrode under the finish.

The only way you're going to get a consistant finish now is to completely strip the fork and polish or paint it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 09/04/09 at 10:20:33

The engine is starting to get that mess on it. Where leather flaps on the clutch cover is rubbed thru. Generally, this bike simply does not look new anymore. It has been hard for me to accept that, but its just not gonna get older & not show it. Ill have to live with it, because I dont have the time/energy to fight the effects of time & miles. At least I am able to hold up the miles of smiles & look at the bike thru that "filter" & I can almost appreciate the deterioration of the looks. I Wish I could keep it looking new, I just cant. Maybe one day the engine will look raspy enough that I can justify spending the time to spiffy it back up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #5 - 09/04/09 at 15:02:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/04/09 at 10:20:33:
The engine is starting to get that mess on it. Where leather flaps on the clutch cover is rubbed thru. Generally, this bike simply does not look new anymore. It has been hard for me to accept that, but its just not gonna get older & not show it. Ill have to live with it, because I dont have the time/energy to fight the effects of time & miles. At least I am able to hold up the miles of smiles & look at the bike thru that "filter" & I can almost appreciate the deterioration of the looks. I Wish I could keep it looking new, I just cant. Maybe one day the engine will look raspy enough that I can justify spending the time to spiffy it back up.

Good post, very true. I guess maybe I just have too much time anymore ?? But I can't fish all the time ! BTW, I got some nice LM Bass this morning,...one was 16 1/2", sure took my mind off the corroded spots for a while ! Cool

Rich

Rich
  IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #6 - 09/04/09 at 16:17:59

Hey justin - you describe exactly the way I feel looking in the mirror every morning (substitute bike for rider.)  Now if only the bod could be rehabilitated with a few touch ups like that!

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #7 - 09/04/09 at 17:21:29

SANDED????
with what?? never ever sand unles youa re going to resurface....

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #8 - 09/04/09 at 19:57:12

mine never even gets washed, unless i'm riding in the rain. lol. my engine covers and fork lowers look like crap. i just cant justify pulling apart a running bike to make it shiney again. one of these days when i break down and buy a new cam...

maybe Tongue

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #9 - 09/04/09 at 21:06:05

thumperclone wrote on 09/04/09 at 17:21:29:
SANDED????

With about 150-200 grit,....No ??
Ok, you got a better way. Actually this works quite well, ......,after sanding till the corrosion is gone, rub it good w/ Mothers, and it comes out really smooth, but it ends up w/ a noticeably 2 different finishes in that one spot. I did 2 spots, and I'm not sure its worth the trouble.

Rich

Rich
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #10 - 09/04/09 at 21:34:59

Routy wrote on 09/04/09 at 21:06:05:
thumperclone wrote on 09/04/09 at 17:21:29:
SANDED????

With about 150-200 grit,....No ??
Ok, you got a better way. Actually this works quite well, ......,after sanding till the corrosion is gone, rub it good w/ Mothers, and it comes out really smooth, but it ends up w/ a noticeably 2 different finishes in that one spot. I did 2 spots, and I'm not sure its worth the trouble.

Rich

That might be ok for the corrossion, but it would be better if you used finer grit 400 min.  Why cause the 150 leaves deep scratches.  And takes forever to polish out.  might be ok with heavy polish, I'll have to get some.  but still finer is better.  Now if you want to do the rest of it, get some aircraft stripper.  wally world has it.  It'll take the clear coat off no problem ready to polish if not corroded.

WWW   IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/05/09 at 13:02:18

Verslagen what is the name of the aircraft stripper sold at Wallyworld?? Thanks Gene

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 09/05/09 at 14:40:20

Easy to find the stripper. Just go to the brass pole.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
genejohnson

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/05/09 at 17:58:07

That wasn't what I was refering to but.... I'm not in the market for "buying" that type. If their giving away free samples, I would certainly take them up on it! Gene

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #14 - 09/10/09 at 08:43:30

I assume you mean the lower fork tubes? I used 600, 800 and then 1000 grit wet sand then polished. These forks were rough. The upper forks themselves were so rusted they were like caked on rub-it-off-in-your-hand rust, like dried dirt. To get those polished up and looking better took some harsher methods. Here's some crappy cell phone pics.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 01:28:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Corrosion Spots on the Aluminium Alloys

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.