Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Messing w/mixture screw (Read 130 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Messing w/mixture screw
09/03/09 at 09:28:50

So yesterday I decided I was gonna try to eliminate some of the POP  Grin that always happens on decel. It was about 90 outside and had taken the bike out for a run, so it was good and warmed up. Shut it down and determined where the screw was to begin with (2 turns out). Set it at 1 turn out and started her back up. Progressively turned the screw out 1/2 turn at a time giving it about 20 seconds in between adjustments until I had reached 3 turns out. I didn't really hear much of any difference between any of the adjustments and decided to stop there. Shut it down and restarted it going in the opposite direction. It sounded different to start and as I closed it to 1 turn out you could hear some difference, but I didn't know where to leave it  Huh

I figured it was set at 2 turns out and regularly popping on decel and occasionally between shifts, so I set it at 3 turns out for the rest of the day. Did not hear another POP all day and thought that I was a master mechanic  Grin

This morning it was about 58 out and she was a bit cold when I started her up, but after she warmed up and hit the freeway for my short ride to work (under 5miles total) she was popping like crazy every time I let off to shift or decel  Embarrassed even more so than before making the adjustments

Where do I go from here? BTW I'm at an elevation of about 4500'

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Re: Messing w/mixture screw
Reply #1 - 09/03/09 at 09:44:14

Here's a pic of the air filter that was put on by the PO. Mechanically, this is the only current mod that was done (he didn't even take out the brass plug, so it was running extremely lean when I got it)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 09/03/09 at 10:03:50

cooler air will make you leaner,... you may want a bigger pilot jet.

Or try raising your idle speed just a little, if it's only popping on decel...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 09/03/09 at 10:09:47

Serowbot wrote on 09/03/09 at 10:03:50:
cooler air will make you leaner,... you may want a bigger pilot jet.

Or try raising your idle speed just a little, if it's only popping on decel...

It did seem like it was idling REALLY low, so I will try that. I really want to go ahead and swap out the stock muff for the Dyna, but know that I will need to rejet at that time. Given my specs it looks like I should have a #145 main and #52.5 pilot. What would be the recommended upgrades?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #4 - 09/03/09 at 11:06:49

I'd start with 150# main, and keep the pilot stock.  Since you're at 4500ft,  you're jetting will need to be a bit leaner than most people with similar mods....
Either way, try the 2/3 spacer mod,.. it's good for acceleration...

IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/03/09 at 16:16:29

The exhaust pop and bang is installed as original equiptment on all Savages and S-40s.  Any efforts to remove it will void the warranty.
They have cleverly designed the engine to pop and bang regardless of what you do unless you install a totally restrictive muffler. BTW, that will void the warranty too.
Best bet is learn to like it.

Phelonius Wink Cheesy Grin Grin

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 09/03/09 at 17:12:00

That's true!...

Pop,pop,..wubble, wubble,... blap!.....  is normal for a good running Savage... or any big thumper...

It's the Ka-poww!... gunshots that you want to tune out.... Wink

« Last Edit: 09/03/09 at 21:00:58 by Serowbot »  

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #7 - 09/03/09 at 17:54:24

That skimpy little air filter looks terrible.  It looks to have less filtering area than the stock air filter, plus the elbow adds resistance to flow.

I'd junk that thing and find a salvage airbox and any other missing pieces.  Alternately, I'd make the air filter mods that have been done by some of the riders on this forum.  Going back to stock is my preference.  A stock-type HiFlo air filter is very low resistance and $15.

By the way, Smith and Morrison in Scientific Design of Exhaust and Intake Systems say that, at best, exhaust mods usually offers twice the possible improvement over intake mods.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/03/09 at 19:39:35

The stock box was designed by engineers,Not grease monkeys Grin

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/03/09 at 20:08:57

Exhaust has the benefit of a piston shoving it out, intake is accomplished by a low pressure created by the piston dropping in the cylinder. A slightly restrictive intake should have a big impact on the power, I would think. Ive also read that having at least one combustion chamber volume between filter element & carb is good design.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 03:27:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Messing w/mixture screw

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.