Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Warped frame, swingarm, triple tree  (alignment) (Read 552 times)
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Re: Warped frame, swingarm, triple tree
Reply #30 - 09/09/09 at 08:17:12

Stimpy - FSO wrote on 09/08/09 at 16:09:13:
Heckuva site Stimpoid! Great Find, man..

...yup yup yup, best kept secret on the interwebz!  Cheesy
Pinwall Motorcycles used to be a "real store", you know,
a big warehouse up in ohio somewhere but since this
eBay thing seems to be working so well for them they
have recently gone "ebay only"  prices are unbeatable
and never had a problem w/shipping, all parts are used
but in good shape, always read "part description".  http://stores.shop.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc__W0QQ_sidZ12458664?_nkw=s...

Anyway, THIS WOBBLE seems to me like it may be a bent rear RIM
or AXEL, don't know, maybe the tire itself is damaged and now has
a  "bump" (busted steel cords inside?) after the rear end collision,
let us know how it goes, k? L8r

I also found this store on Ebay, and actually visited their "real" store August 7th weekend, (Massillon, Ohio) so if they closed it up, it was recently.  Doesn't really matter... most of the store parts were new.  The good used stuff was on Ebay.  I like that they shoot a video around the bike running, before they dis-assemble it...  pretty cool.  They also have a seperate Ebay ID for New parts.  The prices don't seem too bad either.

Anyway, Oldfeller, I've been reading this since your bike got hit and it still baffles me that someone hit it THAT HARD in a parking space!  I assume there was not a space across from you, or it was empty?  And for them to have the balls to stand it back up and leave!   Shamey, shamey, SHAME on them!  But thank you for sharing your experience and wisdom!!

~babyhog~

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Warped frame, swingarm, triple tree  (alignmen
Reply #31 - 09/09/09 at 09:02:08

Babyhog, there was a large extended cab Ford superduty parked beside me blocking the second half of their approach view (where the bike was hiding) and I think they just whipped into the "empty" parking place and got a surprise about half way in.

Remember your high school physics, Conservation of Momentum transfer from a large vehicle to a small one.

Mass*Velocity = Mass*Velocity

3,000+ lb vehicle at 5 ft/sec = 300 lb bike at 50 ft/sec.

You remember the pendulum lab, the big ball smacking a small ball and it moving faster as the energy transfers through the m*v relationship.

In short, they weighed a lot more and weren't going that fast, maybe 5 mph.  My bike got the equivalent hit of an equal weight motorcycle going 50 ft a second (and in plain English that's about 34 mph)

In reality, bumpers normally absorb some of this energy -- but my bike didn't weigh enough to cause his bumper to give very much.  My tail light / liscense plate assembly did most of the energy absorption until it mashed in to contact the tire, then the tire, wheel and axle/swingarm took the rest of the lick.  Then the side of the bike and the front wheel against the curb stopped the bike from sliding.

================

Words to the Wise

Always avoid getting hit by a car.  You see videos of bikes getting sprayed into air born pieces when a car hits one at any decent speed -- this is why.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #32 - 09/09/09 at 09:09:16

Had a nice day outside today so I went riding.   My bike still handles town roads, right angle turns at full lean and dices traffic very well.  It isn't crippled for its primary use at all.   If I sit there and dwell at the wobble speed it is unuseable but if I go ahead and blow on by it, it hardly twitches.   67mph isn't a normal cruising speed anyway.

I'll play more later on when I have the rear end apart for some other reason, but I'm not going to screw with it any more right now.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #33 - 09/09/09 at 09:43:14

You Gonna Have this thing worked out by June 2010?

DRAGON RUN Shocked

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 09/09/09 at 12:14:29

How often did we hit 67 mph on the dragon run -- never.

All I have to do is ride back roads on the way up, which I always do anyway out of preference as I like the scenery better.

I will be there, never fear.

Did anyone declare any form of fall trip that you know of?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kel30734

Dragon Rider

Calhoun, GA
Reply #35 - 09/11/09 at 08:03:28

Did anyone declare any form of fall trip that you know of?

Not really........... I'm back at school 3 nights a week and working 40+
and kids are back in school too.... no much time for riding except back and forth to work and school.....

Kel

WWW kel30755   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #36 - 09/21/09 at 10:30:19

Got another clue yesterday -- had occasion to hit the rear brake hard enough to lightly skitter the tire.

chirp ..... chirp ..... chirp..... chirp......

Huh?  I know that rim is round enough
(within Suzuki/Clymer specs anyway)

Well, the tire is not as round as it once was as repeated light rear tire slides give a slight stutter to the rolling type slide.

=================

This will either wear in round or it won't.

I will find out in due time I guess.   Still have approaching 2 years to live with the tire at present wear out rate.

=====================

I want to thank everyone for their ongoing offers of bits and pieces but I am good for now.  I can't see taking your tail light plastic pieces and such when I really don't need them right now as that isn't fair to you or to the other folks who may actually need them.

Thank you all, very very much for all the help !!!

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #37 - 09/21/09 at 11:25:58

might be worth a try of collasping the tire and reseating it.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #38 - 09/21/09 at 11:27:38

This will either wear in round or it won't.

I will find out in due time I guess.   Still have approaching 2 years to live with the tire at present wear out rate.

If it was mine Id get the rear off the ground & spin the tire & have a look at how far it is out of round. If its not too bad, I would take a grinder & put the bike in gear & jack the idle up & gently work that tire down till is round, becaus it wont "run round" since every time it rolls over the low side, the bike falls & when it hits the rise, it lifts off a bit, so all it will do is develop a weird cupping around it.

Have you looked to see if the bead was driven down where it was hit? Maybe deflating & reinflating would help? The line on the tire that runs just above the bead will tell you.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #39 - 10/05/09 at 02:08:17

Justin, the bead line is straight and the sidewall of the tire itself has .025" variation measured at the same time I was truing the rim.  There is nothing gross or "out of spec" about the way the rear tire runs to Suzuki/Clymer book specs -- but the variation of the contact patch is enough to give skidding variation and is enough to play in causing the current rumba/wobble issue.  It is mild enough to be succeptable to wear in though.  

==========

Update wear in report:

I noticed that I hadn't noticed anything in the last few days and went and took the bike up to shudder speed to see what was what.

Tire is wearing "rounder" and the wobble issue has become pretty much un-noticeable during normal weekly use.  If you take it up to the critical speed and dwell there you can get a mild wobble, but you are having to pretty much work at it to get it to happen.

I think this thing is gonna cure itself given some time and tire wear.

===============

Thank you (GaryonaSavage and others) for all the help and sending of bits and pieces guys, it is just another good example of the list doing good and helping each other out!

Oldfeller

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #40 - 10/05/09 at 05:54:29

It would be nice if the bike "Healed up".

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #41 - 10/05/09 at 06:17:05

I would fine some really big bumps and go over them and maybe the frame will flex its self straight.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #42 - 10/05/09 at 09:25:15

I really do have an extra frame and extra tail light assembly, sitting in a box, collecting dust. I know ya said ya don't absolutely need 'em..but they're free if ya want 'em.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #43 - 10/05/09 at 21:04:44

free frame you say?

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #44 - 10/05/09 at 21:23:30

All you have to do to get is is be rear ended.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 10:02:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Warped frame, swingarm, triple tree  (alignment)

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.