Send Topic Print
windshield (Read 162 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
windshield
09/02/09 at 19:49:03

What's a good windshield for an s40? I don't see many higher than 18 inches from the top of the headlight .Just how high should it be to effectively block the wind? I'm average height.

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Re: windshield
Reply #1 - 09/02/09 at 20:02:34

I find if the top of the winshield comes up to the bridge of my nose, it deflects the wind over my head quite well.

Mine's a Road Chrome. About $100 cdn and bolts on easily.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 09/02/09 at 20:33:34

I just mounted a S-06 Spitfire, mfgd by slipstreamer, smoke tinted, $79 including mounting hardware.
Its about 17" from the light cutout to the top. But its mounted about 4" above the headlite.

If you want just a small good looking wind breaker, this is a good one.

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #3 - 09/03/09 at 07:18:54

Routy wrote on 09/02/09 at 20:33:34:
I just mounted a S-06 Spitfire, mfgd by slipstreamer, smoke tinted, $79 including mounting hardware.
Its about 17" from the light cutout to the top. But its mounted about 4" above the headlite.

If you want just a small good looking wind breaker, this is a good one.

Rich

I was looking at that exact same shield yesterday, but not sure about it. Do you have any pics posted of it?  Huh

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #4 - 09/03/09 at 09:50:57

Was it easy to install the s-06 spitfire ? I looked on an application chart for this windshield and s40 wasn't on it .

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #5 - 09/03/09 at 10:12:45

Not the greatest pic, but you can see the outline of the shield and how big it is on the bike.  Not too big, I think.  It was very easy to install, but 4 hands are better than 2, in my opinion.  Seems like it will work on lots of different handlebar styles, its clear and doesn't take away from the looks of the bike.  It got chilly the other night before I got home and had left in a t-shirt without a jacket (wasn't planning to be out that long) and I get cold easy.  The windshield made a huge difference and I didn't get nearly as cold as I would have without it!  I'm glad I got it.

I actually found this one on VolusiaRiders forum, for $35!!  Used, but it was in great shape.  You can find new ones on ebay for under $50, plus shipping.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #6 - 09/03/09 at 10:20:33

Babyhog, thanks for the pic, I'm a little concerned about the fit/appearance with my S40 since it has the drag bars. Would also like to see a profile shot it anyone has one.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #7 - 09/03/09 at 11:00:43

Oh yea, I forgot that I changed out my handlebars.  Sorry.

There are 2 holes in the windshield (the black, round thingys you see in the pic)  The support bars attach to that, with rubber/foam washers.  Where they attach, is like a ball joint that can pivot in almost any direction before you tighten it up, and the brackets can go about anywhere on the handlebars, so you just have to line it all up where you want it.  (thus, my comment about 4 hands being better than 2, haha)  The support bars slide into a hole on the bracket and just tighten with a set screw.  
If no one can find any pics, I can take more this evening.  Just didn't have anymore with me, since I just put the thing on a few days ago too.  Surely someone has pics with this windshield and the stock drag bars.??  

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
danibugg

PNW
Reply #8 - 09/03/09 at 11:21:16

Babyhog, what saddlebags are those? They look really nice in the head-on shot.

1998 Suzuki Savage LS 650, black, 11.5k. verslavy, relocated turn signals, saddlebags.
  IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #9 - 09/03/09 at 12:24:29

dani, thanks...  Here's a better shot of the bags.  I laugh to myself, because they were originally on my husband's Vulcan 750, and they looked so wimpy... poor little things... But we bought him new, bigger ones and I think these fit my bike just right!  I have no idea what brand they are or where they were originally purchased.
Too bad I didn't have the windshield installed when I took this picture...

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #10 - 09/03/09 at 13:32:34

I've got a National Cycle PlexiStar, the one that has "wings" for more hand protection.  I like it, but mainly for cold weather riding, as it is larger than the OEM or the SpitFire and seems to have more "drag".  I'm hoping to get another OEM like I've had before.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
Reply #11 - 09/03/09 at 15:24:34

Thanks to your posts I got the idea to raise my small windshield higher up ,which didn't occur to me before .It worked out and I think its going to be sufficient . Thanks .

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 13:27:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › windshield

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.