Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
First Maintenance (500mi) - Can I do this myself? (Read 180 times)
SianLogic
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

First Maintenance (500mi) - Can I do this myself?
09/02/09 at 12:34:51

Hello All,

I just bought a 2009 S40.  One of the reasons I bought this bike is because it's supposed to be very easy to work on.  I'm wondering what all is done during the 'break-in maintenance' and if these are things I could do myself.  This is my first bike and I am not an expert mechanic.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Re: First Maintenance (500mi) - Can I do this myse
Reply #1 - 09/02/09 at 13:09:47

You should be able to do the first maintenance, gain a little confidence (but don't get too cocky), and eventually do anything on this bike.  You need to plan your work.  A service manual is a must:  either Clymer's or the Factory Service Manual, or ideally both.  I have the Clymer's in a PDF.  If you need it, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #2 - 09/02/09 at 13:33:19

SianLogic wrote on 09/02/09 at 12:34:51:
Hello All,

I just bought a 2009 S40.  One of the reasons I bought this bike is because it's supposed to be very easy to work on.  I'm wondering what all is done during the 'break-in maintenance' and if these are things I could do myself.  This is my first bike and I am not an expert mechanic.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome SianLogic!

Assuming that you've followed the break in procedure outlined in Section 4 of the owners manual, all that is required is:

-changing the oil. I'd change the filter and crush ring (little washer that goes on the drain plug) also..

Here's a good thread on oil changes:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1099572561

-Checking and correcting adjustments for clutch, throttle, front brake, and rear brake

-Tightening anything that rattles when idling

What else am I missing, Ladies and Fellas? Huh

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #3 - 09/02/09 at 13:39:15

serenity3743 wrote on 09/02/09 at 13:09:47:
I have the Clymer's in a PDF.  If you need it, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

I'd love to have a copy of that Serenity...PM sent Wink

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #4 - 09/02/09 at 14:49:40

Clean the air filter.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 09/02/09 at 15:42:15

SianLogic,
Welcome. When changing oil, be sure to capture spring and O ring that sits behind filter. O ring on mine usually stays in place. Hole in filter goes toward engine. I know you're not dumb, but shop guy I know says they do get put in backwards with no oil getting to engine. Check big O ring on side plate and reuse if it looks good. Snug bolts down, but don't lean on them. I have Suzuki manual and Clymer manual for my 2001. Both are wrong on oil quantity for my bike. Pour in first quart or liter then pour in about half of second one. Lean bike near vertical or put something under kickstand. Don't let it fall on you! Pour oil slowly while watching sightglass. When it gets about half way between lines screw oil cap back on and crank. Don't race the engine, but don't let it idle too slowly. You need to get that oil way up to the camshaft. After a couple of minutes stop engine and clean up your tools and pour up old oil to be disposed of later. Then go back and check oil sightglass. I slowly fill mine to the top of the sightglass, but no further. Overfill is not good. BTW I use Castrol 10w40 Act Evo. There are many opinions on which to use. Just ask for oil that will not make your clutch slip. You can do a lot on this bike. Just go slow and methodically.  Boofer  

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/02/09 at 15:46:36

SianLogic,
OOPS! I meant to say,"slowly fill to top line on sightglass", not to top of sightglass. Excuse me while I go fire my proof reader.
Boofer

IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #7 - 09/02/09 at 17:33:28

Two things come to mind:
Will the warranty still be ok
I beleive the valve lifter clearance needs to be checked too.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 09/02/09 at 18:42:33

I don't think they do the valves unless they think it needs it,I think they change oil and filter and check for loose bolts.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 09/03/09 at 01:10:23

Anti-seize goes on those bolts.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #10 - 12/08/09 at 19:19:52

bill67 wrote on 09/02/09 at 18:42:33:
I don't think they do the valves unless they think it needs it,I think they change oil and filter and check for loose bolts.

FWIW....

The book on mine (see signature) says to torque the head bolts and inspect valve clearances on the 600 mile checkup.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 12/08/09 at 19:44:09

Adjusting the valves is easy but tedious becasue of the small space you have to work with. If your engine is ticking softly on the top end dont worry about it. If its ticking loudly or sounds tinney they may be loose. If you've got no ticking they may be tight. If you feel you just cant go without adjusting them there's directions here in the forums somewhere. A quick search should turn up step by steps with pictures. Dont even worry about the head bolts unless you've got leaking between teh head and jug. The bolts are SUPPOSED to be tightened every 4k mi but I'll bet $50 that no one does that on a regular basis. Its really not needed and is rather a PITA to do it so frequently.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 12/08/09 at 21:41:25

Over 19,000 miles. So far, havent torqued the head.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #13 - 01/02/10 at 19:52:15

BurnPgh wrote on 12/08/09 at 19:44:09:
....Dont even worry about the head bolts unless you've got leaking between teh head and jug. The bolts are SUPPOSED to be tightened every 4k mi but I'll bet $50 that no one does that on a regular basis. Its really not needed and is rather a PITA to do it so frequently.

I'll take that in tens, please!   Cool

On my Savage (see signature), I've torqued the head bolts at 700 miles, 5200 miles, and 10,100 miles.

And, yes, it IS a PITA!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #14 - 01/02/10 at 19:53:09

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 12/08/09 at 21:41:25:
Over 19,000 miles. So far, havent torqued the head.

I could never get away with that.  My mechanical luck is too poor!

Digger
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:14:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › First Maintenance (500mi) - Can I do this myself?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.