Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2001 kickstand safety? (Read 82 times)
boofer
Ex Member

2001 kickstand safety?
09/01/09 at 21:46:26

I distinctly remember letting my bike idle with the kickstand down and the clutch out when I wasn't on it. Now it will not run in any gear or neutral with the kick down. Not a problem, and I haven't even looked at it. Just raise kick, crank and go in neutral or in gear. But I would like to warm it up sometimes without sitting on it. What's going on?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Boofer

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Re: 2001 kickstand safety?
Reply #1 - 09/01/09 at 22:13:52

And the neutral light went out about the same time I noticed it. I had the tank off to change plug and figure I just bumped bulb. Neutral is so easy to find, I've been too lazy to check. Riding weather is great! Bulbs can wait.
Boofer

IP Logged
Moofed
Alliance Member

...and the engine
just gleams...

Bloomington, Indiana
Reply #2 - 09/01/09 at 22:18:14

I'd say the bulb is fine, but the neutral switch is not.  Somehow, your bike thinks it is always in gear.  Perhaps the blue wire got cut while you had the tank off?

WWW Moofed MoofedOne   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #3 - 09/01/09 at 22:46:23

I think the blue wire is neutral.

WWW   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 09/01/09 at 23:20:46

Thanks guys, Blue wire is neutral switch to bulb. Clymer says right side cover must be removed to replace neutral switch. I'll check wiring with meter. Hope it's just a bad wire. Thanks again, Boofer

IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #5 - 09/03/09 at 19:59:43

qn7qcw7 wrote on 09/01/09 at 23:20:46:
Thanks guys, Blue wire is neutral switch to bulb. Clymer says right side cover must be removed to replace neutral switch. I'll check wiring with meter. Hope it's just a bad wire. Thanks again, Boofer

It's a super simple switch. Hard to beleive it's bad.  Usually it's the wire.

Before you tear antyhing apart, get a continuity checker or Volt/Ohm meter and check to see if you get continuity between the neutral wire and engine ground when in neutral.

Basically the circuit is:  when in neutral, switch closes connection, you get complete circuit.

And... the neutral / sidestand diode makes the engine die if not in N when sidestand down.  Check to make sure the wiring is not loose.

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 05:28:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2001 kickstand safety?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.