Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hardtail Struts vs Shocks (Read 124 times)
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Hardtail Struts vs Shocks
09/01/09 at 10:24:02

After reassembling my bike and riding it for about 3wks with just the hardtail struts the PO had put on her, I was getting used to the ride and I learned where all the major and minor potholes were on the ride back and forth to work.

This weekend, I finally put on some stock shocks that I picked up from another member here, and let me tell you that made a WORLD of difference in the ride  Shocked

My teeth don't rattle riding down the city streets, and the bike feels much more stable on the highway than it did with the struts. This is all with the shocks set on the stiffest setting while I only weigh about 180# with all my gear.

For anyone considering switching to hardtail struts, make sure you add a spring seat or something because otherwise you will be taking a beating.   Grin I thought riding this bike was fun before, now I'm looking forward to taking some longer rides and even carrying a passenger.

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Hardtail Struts vs Shocks
Reply #1 - 09/01/09 at 14:03:21

Did you know Covered wagons had springs,Chariots had springs,Some one hundreds of years ago come up with a good idea.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #2 - 09/01/09 at 14:12:51

bill67 wrote on 09/01/09 at 14:03:21:
Did you know Covered wagons had springs,Chariots had springs,Some one hundreds of years ago come up with a good idea.

Yep, but the Dumba$$ PO decided to take them off of mine and didn't swap them out for anything. I'm just glad there is such a great forum where you can find people who change these things and help you out. (Thanks Hi-Def)

05 S40 15" Memphis Slim, FXDWG Bars, Moved Rear Signals, Saddlebags, Fork Bag, Mini-Tach, Raptor, Cone Filter, Fishtail Muffler, Mix Screw Out 2.5 Turns, 4" Fwd Controls, 147.5 Main/55 Pilot @ 4500
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #3 - 09/01/09 at 17:00:14

Well my dad had his bike permanently  hard tailed. The post and all that are gone, I think he is crazy. I would love to have some struts to have for shows and what not. I would be all for building a new swing frame and having a mono shock that would be freaking sweet.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
EJID
Serious Thumper

Work to ride and
ride to work.

Pocatello, ID
Reply #4 - 09/02/09 at 07:32:43

Savage_Amusement wrote on 09/01/09 at 17:00:14:
Well my dad had his bike permanently  hard tailed. The post and all that are gone, I think he is crazy. I would love to have some struts to have for shows and what not. I would be all for building a new swing frame and having a mono shock that would be freaking sweet.

Well, once I decide exactly what my plans are with this bike, I will probably be willing to sell the struts that were on this one when I got it. I don't think I will have much use for them now that I'm riding in what feels like the "Lap of Luxury." (Now I wonder what those progressives must feel like.)  Huh

Here's a pic of the struts on the bike when I first bought it:

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 11:30:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Hardtail Struts vs Shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.