Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What ??, no white spacer ? (Read 187 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
What ??, no white spacer ?
08/31/09 at 20:15:38

What a let down. RS of the carburator, I removed the 3 screws, right ? The cover came off, then a spring, then a diaphram plunger, but,....no white spacer. No needle either. Please, tell me I'm in the wrong place.

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: What ??, no white spacer ?
Reply #1 - 08/31/09 at 21:23:23

boy are you lost   Shocked

top of carb
4 screws
down in the bottom of the slide is the 2 screws.

WWW   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #2 - 08/31/09 at 22:36:44

The needle is under the other side of the diaphragm.  Remember the orientation of the little plate with the two screws way down inside the diaphragm plunger.  The spacer is under the plate, and the plate needs to go back 'zackly the way it came off.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/31/09 at 22:50:30

If you dont have a manual & the pics of the guts of the carb laying in front of you, I think you are begging for problems.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 09/01/09 at 02:02:39

3 screws?? You must be in a wrong place. My bet is you removed the transient enrcihment valve, on the right flank of the carb. You need the big one on the very top. 4 screws.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #5 - 09/01/09 at 04:20:51

your defo lookin at the transient enrcihment valve

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #6 - 09/01/09 at 05:04:34

Man, I coulda swore there was talk of 3 screws. But then, I coulda known this was way to easy.

Thanks for the caution on the disassembly. I'll watch for the unexpected. I can do a quadrajet in my sleep, so I think I can do this. But I'd like to get the manual too.

Then again in the reality of it all, it starts and idles perfect, and WOT is perfect,.... all I have is a lean spot at 1/8 - 1/4 throttle, where it just kinda surges and lopes along in 2nd & 3rd gear. If I hit the choke 1 click, its perfect. So, I'm not real sure what part I'm after, as the remidies here are somwhat inconsistent.
In past years when the Hondas did that, all we did was to raise the needle clip... one slot, and it fixed them. So I'm thinking the needle/white spacer area is what I have to work w/.

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
PhilM

England (Twyford)
Reply #7 - 09/01/09 at 05:04:42

Since we are talking about the trans enrich valve.. a quick question..

When I cleaned my carb I couldn't get the 3 screws to move without starting to strip the heads so I left that valve unchecked.

My question is - if there was still some dirt in there causing the valve to stick what would be the noticeable effect on starting/performance?

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #8 - 09/01/09 at 05:30:10

I sure don't know, but I can tell you this much, if you don't have a little impact driver, get one ! Those 3 screws didn't have a chance of not coming loose w/ just a tap from an impact driver. I've had mine since 1962 for my first Honda 50, and it has never failed to loosen any screw that has not been already totaled out.

Rich

Rich
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/01/09 at 07:30:43

Interesting.  I now have a nice idle, comes off idle very well, and with a larger main jet, fine at 1/2 throttle and above.  I have a slight flat spot with a bit of a lope in the 1/4 throttle area.  I'm thinking I will slightly raise the needle, get just a little earlier engagement of narrower needle.

Man, I love CV carbs.  Thought I'd left them behind many many years ago!  Nothing like disassembling the thing to change one little dinky part!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 09/01/09 at 08:55:06

PhilM, I was thinking the same thing some time ago. In essence, based on my internet research of what the thing does - if the valve got stuck in closed position - it would pop and backfire on deceleration. If it stucked open - it would burn richer in all regimes. It seems the only thing it does is lets some fuel pass during engine braking to prevent backfires. Only that and exactly then. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Routy and all - if you really can not get an impact driver - a regular well fitting screwdriver also does wonders, given you give it a moderate tap or two before you start turning. I do it all the time on dubious screws. Fit screwdriver, tap, tap, try turn. Repeat if necessary.

IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #11 - 09/01/09 at 17:55:21

Anybody that hasn't bought the CD sold on this site should get one. You will not be disappointed! It is worth  the price with step by step pictures to keep you out of the stealership!
                                                                          Ride Safe
                                                                          Marine5317

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #12 - 09/02/09 at 03:03:49

dasch wrote on 09/01/09 at 08:55:06:
Routy and all - if you really can not get an impact driver - a regular well fitting screwdriver also does wonders, given you give it a moderate tap or two before you start turning. I do it all the time on dubious screws. Fit screwdriver, tap, tap, try turn. Repeat if necessary.

+1, that's how I took the top off my carb: good driver, put firm twist (go easy all you musclemen!) and pressure on it while tapping with a hammer.  Worked like a charm.  An old trick too, learned it when I was a kid, watching Dad work on 50 year old ranch tractors. Grin

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/02/09 at 11:17:10

i used this nifty little wrench that looked an aweful lot like vice grips....oh wait...Anyway, after doing that once they screw in and out quite easily now.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 05:30:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What ??, no white spacer ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.