Send Topic Print
Exhaust Removal (Read 190 times)
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Exhaust Removal
08/31/09 at 17:44:37

My pipes have the blues...

I got some blue-job and ready to spend the time and elbow grease to get them cleaned up.

I've never taken an exhaust of the bike before (nothing more than the seat really).

Anything I need to know, tips or tricks, or extra parts I should have on hand before I go wrenching off all my pipes.

I see on page 218 of the Clymer manual that I might need a new gasket before putting back together. What am i using to get the right amount of ft-lbs of pressure on the bolts and clamps? I was just going to tighten until 'tight'.

Thanks!

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Re: Exhaust Removal
Reply #1 - 08/31/09 at 17:55:52

one pipe on the ls 650 your oem pipe got the blues??
never had the carb tuned my guess..

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #2 - 08/31/09 at 18:01:29

Routy wrote on 08/31/09 at 17:58:32:
Mine got the blues too.

Is that bad ?

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #3 - 08/31/09 at 18:04:31

Get you a can of PB Blaster. Spray all the nuts and bolts before you try to loosen them. Get a new exhaust gasket before you start. My local dealership didn't have one in stock and had to order it. Took 5 days to get it. Spray the joint where the muffler connects to the exhaust pipe several times with the PB Blaster. Getting the muffler loose from the header is the toughest part. The torque setting for motor mounts and header bolts are in the Clymer manual. If you haven't jetted your carb it will all be in vain. A couple trips around the block and your pipe will be blue again.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/31/09 at 22:49:03

You might be ahead to start with jetting the carb, so it wont turn blue when you are done.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Lazy Old Rider

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 09/01/09 at 12:26:44

BLUE!!!!

KEWL

Keep it , it shows you use her Smiley

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 09/01/09 at 12:47:30

is there supposed to be a gasket between the header and engine? i don't think mine has one there!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #7 - 09/01/09 at 13:49:40

Rocco wrote on 09/01/09 at 12:47:30:
is there supposed to be a gasket between the header and engine? i don't think mine has one there!

It's called a gasket but it's more like a large thin washer with something chalky on it.  It flattens when you tighten the two header bolts.  It sometimes stays in the header hole when the header is removed so look for it there.  If you leave it out, you will probably get more BANG and I know how much you like that, Rocco! Grin

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #8 - 09/01/09 at 20:48:55

oh ok! well what i've put my header through wrappin it and removing the old muffler i doubt it's there....but oh well

and did u say more bang?? i will take it out myself if it hasn't already fallen off !!!  Grin Cheesy Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #9 - 09/01/09 at 23:43:38

I dont believe my exhaust has a gasket either. Seems to have little effect on my "bang".

IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #10 - 09/02/09 at 09:23:25

I didnt think mine had one since i had never actually removed it before, after i ordered one i realized i had one, replaced it anyway.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #11 - 09/02/09 at 10:01:37

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/31/09 at 22:49:03:
You might be ahead to start with jetting the carb, so it wont turn blue when you are done.

Can I re-jet the carb and not change the muffler?
If so what settings should I use?
Loss of power anywhere?

Would like to get a 'new' muffler
A)Jardine
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JARDINE-RUMBLER-S-O-MUFFLER-SLASH-RT-SUZUKI-SA...
or
B) Take-off muffler Harley Sportster 1200.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p2897.m38.l1313&_nkw=muffler+Harley+S...

and I like this idea too:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1250442950/32#32

Did you end up doing that Rocco?
How it turn out?

The blue is on pretty much just on the oem pipe coming out of the engine and at the joint where the muffler meets the heat-shield.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #12 - 09/02/09 at 10:17:21

matt wrote on 09/02/09 at 09:23:25:
I didnt think mine had one since i had never actually removed it before, after i ordered one i realized i had one, replaced it anyway.

It's SUPPOSED to be replaced with a new one every time you take off the header pipe, because it flattens out with just one install. HOWEVER, I have re-used it with no noticeable problems except maybe slightly more popping.  OR, I have put in two used ones instead of one new one, and that seems to work okay too.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 09/02/09 at 11:26:54

go the harley route. Much cheaper. Ineclipse has a debaffled jardine and its LOUD. How loud? When we ride together and are passing a semi he'll speed up to the cab and let the throttle off. The ensuing rumble is significantly louder than a semis jake brake and the driver almost always starts slowing down, probably thinking something broke. We then speed merrily past. I have heard the baffled version of the same jardine and its about as loud as my Screaming Eagle slashcut. Jardine = $150 +/- , SE = $25 brand new on ebay.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 09/03/09 at 01:27:50

I think the best looking muffler is the Dyna. The Supertrapp isnt as good looking, but its tunable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 21:28:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Exhaust Removal

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.