Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
belt replaced, but not the cogwheels? (Read 68 times)
johnnie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

belt replaced, but not the cogwheels?
08/31/09 at 12:03:26

Hi, a couple of months ago my belt snapped, and its replaced (costly Sad really, like $500 where I live) so that's fine. But ever since, the new belt makes such a weird noise. They told me it was normal and that it would go away after some good miles. But it didn't, so they gave me all kinds of sprays to fix the noise, and that worked mostly, but only for like 5 miles or so...

Now, I'm not an expert, but I think the cogwheels should be replaced... They feel quite sharp and to my own horror I saw that my new belt is being eaten away (and it's not my dog Cheesy). The garage said these cogwheels are quite expensive though, so I want your advice first. Frankly, I don't have a lot of money...

Other question: can I change the belt's direction when I change the cogwheels? The teeth on the belt are damaged on one side only, so changing the direction of it would be like starting with a clean slate for my belt, and would prevent it from losing grip.

Thanks you guys Wink

I know this is a double post, but the mods can delete the one in the Tech Doc/Ref forum if they have some spare time... I already reported it to the them.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: belt replaced, but not the cogwheels?
Reply #1 - 08/31/09 at 12:22:36

Setting the tension is important to solving the squeal issue. Wheel alignment is critical. Just because the marks on the swingarm are the same number back from the end, theres no guarantee that they are all that accurately placed. So, get the belt tension such that you can grab the belt 1/2 way between front & rear pulleys & twist. You should be able to twist it 90* with one hand, not trying to win the national arm rassling title. Then, spend some time looking thru the "How to align rear wheel" threads.

BTW, you coulda ditched the belt & had a chain drive for around $200.00.
There may even be someone here with a belt they could sell..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #2 - 08/31/09 at 12:46:17

If a belt is going to cost $500 when the time comes I'm going to switch to a chain drive. Anyone else had this kind of exspense when getting a new belt? I would have thought they were about $80.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #3 - 08/31/09 at 12:53:19

"the garage said"  "cogwheels"  

I would say he is far far away and not used to doing his his own work.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
johnnie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/31/09 at 13:19:11

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/31/09 at 12:53:19:
"the garage said"  "cogwheels"  

I would say he is far far away and not used to doing his his own work.

You're correct there Cheesy I'm not native English, so I had to translate "cogwheels" - what do you call them? Also, I'm learning how to maintain my bike myself, but since the belt is such a crucial part, I didn't want to risk doing it myself and doing it wrong...
OK, brake pads are quite essential too for a safe bike Tongue but that's easier to replace...

I'll try to fix the belt tension and search the forum for hints...

I think parts are way cheaper in America, but here in Europe, I almost feel like I have to pay in body parts instead of money...

Edited:
The other day I payed $93 (€65) for an original backlight lens (don't ask how I lost it) and 2 screws to mount it!
The cogwheels would cost me $110 (€77) for the front and $386.5 (€258) for the back... That's another $500 just for the parts, no labour included.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/31/09 at 13:46:41

You can get used quite reasonable.  And if you didn't get the life out of them that you might expect (45k miles on the '96, some user induced wear  Roll Eyes but still going strong) then a reasonably new2you replacement may do better.

Now, the unusually pulley wear, sounds like a waranty issue to me.  If the pulleys had defects to begin with, then replacement should be from the dealer.  Who may want to cloud the issue as it may be rare and doesn't want to deal with it.

If your pulleys (cogwheels) are worn with sharp edges, replace them.  As said there are members here who have gone to chain and sprockets.  There may be someone willing to part with a complete set and send it to you.  Post it in the marketplace, you may get an offer.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 04:21:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › belt replaced, but not the cogwheels?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.