Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Belt replaced, but not the cogwheels? (Read 98 times)
johnnie
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Belt replaced, but not the cogwheels?
08/31/09 at 06:02:46

Hi, a couple of months ago my belt snapped, and its replaced (costly Sad) so that's fine. But ever since, the new belt makes such a weird noise. They told me it was normal and that it would go away after some good miles. But it didn't, so they gave me all kinds of sprays to fix the noise, and that worked mostly, but only for like 5 miles or so...

Now, I'm not an expert, but I think the cogwheels should be replaced... They feel quite sharp and to my own horror I saw that my new belt is being eaten away (and it's not my dog Cheesy). The garage said these cogwheels are quite expensive though, so I want your advice first. Frankly, I don't have a lot of money...

Other question: can I change the belt's direction when I change the cogwheels? The teeth on the belt are damaged on one side only, so changing the direction of it would be like starting with a clean slate for my belt, and would prevent it from losing grip.

Thanks you guys Wink

IP Logged
jonnyb021104
YaBB Newbies

broken ass 86
savage!

northern virginia
Re: Belt replaced, but not the cogwheels?
Reply #1 - 08/31/09 at 16:36:05

from what i have seen on here converting it to a chain drive would be a much cheaper option and would allow for some fine tuning and better speeds.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #2 - 09/01/09 at 19:41:16

I'm sure someone with more experience than I will jump in soon; however, how many miles have you ridden that the new belt is being eaten up by the cogwheels?  I've got to wonder about alignment issues, either the front drive cogwheel or the one on the rear wheel may be misaligned, causing premature wear.  Obviously, the rear wheel is the most likely site of a problem.  As far as I know the belt can be reversed but check out the manual.(Clymers or Suzi's).

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #3 - 09/01/09 at 19:46:12

Note to moderators..does this really belong in tech section..I would suggest rubbber up site until a determination with lasting tech merit before it's place in the tech section.
Think he would get more resposes in another section.
Not being a wiseazz, just trying to distract my headache. Cheesy

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 09/01/09 at 21:41:58

Trippah wrote on 09/01/09 at 19:46:12:
Not being a wiseazz, just trying to distract my headache. Cheesy

Stop pounding your head on the keyboard, it messes up the keys.

Grin

I thought I posted a reply days ago.  Off into the twilight zone I guess.

If your cogs have sharp edges, there must be a problem to cause it.
Take a close look and see if it's a material problem the manufacturer would be responsible for.  Then get a replacement.  If the dealer replaced the belt and didn't warn you about the cogs, he's partially responsible.  Sharp edges are not normal.  I've only seen a few of these but none of them have sharp edges on the teeth.

There have been a number here who've changed to chain drive.  Put a want to buy complete set in the marketplace.  cheaper than fleabay usually.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 13:32:33

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Belt replaced, but not the cogwheels?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.