Send Topic Print
winter storage (Read 242 times)
rl153
Serious Thumper

S40 Just right!

Bloomfield,CT
winter storage
08/30/09 at 17:35:49

What are the most important things to do to store your bike for the winter .Is Stabil in the gas ,removing the battery, oil change,and a cleaning, enough?Thanks.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: winter storage
Reply #1 - 08/30/09 at 17:40:19

Change the oil. You might want to put a trickle charge on it.
Before the Ethanol thing I would have filled it as full as possible, to minimize the surface area in contact with air, now, I dont know what to do.
I didnt use stabil & mine sat for at least 2&1/2months, maybe longer. It fired right up & it never acted like the gas was bad,,I am in East Tx. Doesnt get real cold, high humidity.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Reply #2 - 08/31/09 at 00:11:09

where are you gonna store the bike?  keep a old curtain or cloth sheet over it

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
mick
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Hell-bound

Dayton Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/31/09 at 00:46:48

Mine goes in the living room,I sometimes sit on it and watch TV,
Hang some lights and tinsel on it over the holidays.
I use Stabil,you can run it for a while get it into the carb,or just drain the float bowl,and I use a battery tender,I  also jack it up and turn the wheels half a turn once a month or more.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
mickrowe37   IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #4 - 08/31/09 at 02:50:48

I make sure to take it out at least once a month.  We can get some seriously cold snaps, but there's always a monthly "thaw".  

Now, for the outboard motor, that I'll run dry and put Sta-bil in the gas tank.  Also I don't fill the gas tank till spring launch, so there's some fresh gas when I start it up!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/31/09 at 04:47:00

Is it bad to just drain all the fuel?

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #6 - 08/31/09 at 05:06:21

Running it dry makes it a bit of a pain in the butt to get it cranked up the next spring.  Since Sta-bil made it on the scene I haven't dry run a single bike or other 4 stroke item, but I still dry run all my two stroke stuff though as that is always easy to restart the on the next use.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #7 - 08/31/09 at 05:45:14

I just wipe the buggs off and toss a towel over it. I usally start it a few times through the winter when we get warm enough days. I change the oil over the winter on a warm enough day that I want to tinker in the garage. I might even do the valves this winter. I know I will get taking of the back tire to get it replaced over the winter this year. I usally top the tank off too. We have about a 4 month streach that you can't get much sadle time in. I have never had a problem with the gas unless something has sit idle for 6 months or more.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/31/09 at 06:01:20

Charge the battery over night with 2 amp charger. Run Sea Foam in gas,Don't start or charge it til I can ride again,The battery always has enough charge in it to start it. Thats normally 3-4 months before I can ride again.Bike is kept in garage never gets below 30.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #9 - 08/31/09 at 06:06:26

With the ethanol gas, I'm leary of draining the tank and carb. Rubber parts seem to dry up quickly, especially if they are not in fuel. :shrug: I have to admit, last year, all I did was add some sta-bil.....

07 S40
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #10 - 08/31/09 at 08:01:56

I added gas sabilizer to a full tank and ran the bike so it got into the carb.  A good wash and oil change was also done.  I kept the bike in the garage. At least 2x a month I started it and ran it for about 15 min. We had a couple of cold snaps to -40 where I couldn't run it, but when it warmed up she fired up with no problems. Part of the spring maintenance was to top up the battery's water. I'll do that in the fall this year when I do the final oil change. The no riding season last year was Nov. to mid-April this year.
Weather permitting I will some basic maintenance this winter so come spring, I can just hop on and ride.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #11 - 08/31/09 at 08:20:51

I really feel for you guys that can't ride all year.  I ride about every week of the year, not necessarily every day, but I pick my days, bundle up and go! Cheesy

If it is any consolation, while it is 95-100 degrees here, with 100% humidity, you guys are nice and cool. Sad

Ride when you can!

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #12 - 08/31/09 at 09:59:34

Preachermike:
Abstenance makes the heart grow fonder. It is a great feeling to hop on the bike in April, atfer 5 months of not riding.  Cheesy

I'm sure it's an even great feeling to ride all year!!!!!
You luck dogs!!!

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #13 - 08/31/09 at 10:03:58

My girl friend told me that once,So I cut her off so she would grow fonder of me. Smiley

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #14 - 08/31/09 at 10:10:46

Oil...good idea to change the oil before lay up to remove any acids that have accumulated.

Fuel...either get tank & carb completely dry (and run a risk of rust in the tank if you're in a humid climate) or use a stabilizer.  Or, pull the vacuum and fuel hose from the petcock, run the carb dry, and fill the tank with gas plus stabilizer.

Tires...good idea to inflate to the max shown on the sidewalls for storage, then air down to the usual pressure before riding.

Battery...batteries do self-discharge.  A discharged battery will freeze easily.  A fully charged lead-acid battery freezes at -65°F.  The battery that didn't fully discharge last year might discharge this year...its capacity has lessened due to its age.  An automatic trickle charger in the .75 to 1.3 amp range works well--a de-sulfating trickle charger works better.  A non-automatic trickle charger in the same range connected one day a month works--if connected longer it'll boil out too much water.  A battery that is allowed to go dead or way low then recharged will have its life shortened.  Do refill the electrolyte up to the marks with distilled water before starting off in the Spring, and also in the Fall if needed.  The sealed absorbed-glass-mat (AGM) batteries like Big Crank don't need the electrolyte checked, self-discharge less, and certain brands may have a shorter service life...or not.  These often cost more.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 10:25:32

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › winter storage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.