chain or belt drive??? (Read 597 times)
jonnyb021104
YaBB Newbies

broken ass 86
savage!

northern virginia
chain or belt drive???
08/30/09 at 15:54:10

okay i want some better highway rpms so i need to either find better gearing on the belt drive or convert it to chain drive any opinions or help would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Re: chain or belt drive???
Reply #1 - 08/30/09 at 16:01:38

Chain drive works for me. I don't think you will find accessory belt sprockets for the bike. Absolutely one of the two best mods I have done.
Ed_L forward controls is also one of the two. Makes freeway cruising MUCH better! Just my opinion. Let others chime in.

Jim

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #2 - 08/30/09 at 17:45:12

I'm not sure about the gear ratios of other model years, but my '05 S40 gearing is plenty tall.  1st gear goes to 15mph easy, way taller than my dirt bike.  I feel like I'm abusing the clutch just to get going.  Highway cruising is no problem (again, I'm used to thumper dirt bike vibration) and 60-70mph is comfortable.  I have been lucky with the belt drive, no squeaks, alignment tweaks, or wax necessary.  So.. going against the grain, I cast one vote FOR the belt drive.  Having lived with PITA high-maintenance chain drive bikes, I really like the belt drive.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #3 - 08/31/09 at 05:31:45

Well, the conversion is really simple, and reversible. High quality chain makes a BIG difference. And the "dry" chain lube makes it less messy. My total cost was around $100.00. I would absolutely never go back to the belt, until optional belt stuff is manufactured. 20K on my bike, original clutch.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Boule’tard
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Master of the
Obvious

Austin TX
Reply #4 - 08/31/09 at 06:31:39

Must admit, those "clean" wax based lubes make life a lot easier, I have used Belray-clean on chain drives for a couple years now.

Good to know the Savage's clutch is durable  Smiley

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be. - P.C. Hodgell
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #5 - 08/31/09 at 07:12:29

I find the belt to be a pretty cool option on the Savage. I like mine and have had no problems but it I wanted a better high speed I would definelty look into it.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
jonnyb021104
YaBB Newbies

broken ass 86
savage!

northern virginia
Reply #6 - 08/31/09 at 14:31:49

well my savage is the 86 with the 4 speed and it is absolutley awesome for around town but as for highway i do not feel comfortable at 70 because it is revved pretty high and i would like to be able to cruise at that speed comfortably, does anyone know where to get the parts for this and what number of teeth would be best for that? and i like the belt because it is relitivley maintence free but i would really like some better highway speeds with lower rpms.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 09/02/09 at 22:02:24

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1174239333/0#0

All you need to know. ^
  Id suggest using 17tooth front sprocket. With the 16 the chain gets pretty close to the swingarm unless you run a 45 or larger rear sprocket. Im running 16/43 and like it okay but I've also got a 16in rear wheel so im more in the range of 17/43. If you've got any significant hills around Id go 17/45. It really makes a great difference on the highway. With the belt Id get an uneasy vibration at 60-65mph actual. I dont get to that point until about 70-75(indicated) now, which with the 16in rear wheel is more like 77/78-83/84mph (actual). I dont go any faster than that ever really so its all gravy. I did push it a bit past 90mph (indicated) with my set up once, which is very very near to or slightly past the ton. Fast enough for me.

In any case I vote heavily for the chain conversion for this single reason. While it is much less likely that you'll break your belt while riding IF you do you're calling a tow truck or a friend with a pickup. Very inconvenient and likely time consuming as you wait for your 4 wheeled rescue not to mention the $180+/- to replace the broken belt. On the other hand, with a chain, if you carry a cheap chain breaker ($16 on bikebandit), extra clip type masterlink ($3), and a set of needle nose pliers you can easily repair a chain break in about 10 minutes and continue merrily on your way.

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 09/03/09 at 06:00:17

I've put higher gearing on the KLX, 16/42 from 15/43.
Speeds thru' gears are 40,60,78,97,117. Peak torque in top is 65-70, making for nice relaxed cruiseing.

Clive W  Smiley

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #9 - 09/03/09 at 19:44:36

Burn is dead nuts on. I run 17/43 and hauls my fat a$$ fine around town just fine. You know the feeling, you think there is another gear, but there isn't. With the chain drive, it's there. JMHO. ps, still hang with the 883's. My buddies Road King can't just run away from me! They have to work at it. I can cruise at 70 all day and easily bump up to 80 to pass. Cheap, reversible, why not try it???

one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/17/09 at 21:35:33

When I got my bike friends with bikes would walk around it taking it in. Aside from the "cyinder as big as a coffee can" comments they all said, "Look! Belt drive. Had a _____one time with belt drive. Loved it. And they're tougher than they look."

Having said that, I never minded keeping chains lubed, either. Just need to get the torque to the ground. My '01 seems happy at 60-65.

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 09/17/09 at 22:23:07

Biggest front gear applicable seems to be a 17. What is the smallest rear one could easily put on? Let's say I want the highest possible ratio using GS stock sprockets.

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 09/17/09 at 22:44:31

I just remembered that the first Honda CB750 fours had a problem with chains breaking, wrapping or wedging onto the countershaft sprocket and cracking the aluminum engine case. Have no idea what you guys are doing. Just thought I would throw it out there in case you are getting really close on clearance?   Boofer

IP Logged
rigidchop
Serious Thumper

don't feed the drama
llama

ravenswood wv
Reply #13 - 09/19/09 at 19:01:16

that was the first models 1969 and some of the early 70's models, chains have come a long way since then. alot more durable and plenty stronger. many of those older bikes it wasnt even recommended to use a master link, they wanted a rider to use an endless chain. not so now.

87 VM ED L
  IP Logged
Monte
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #14 - 11/12/09 at 03:19:07

I am going to install a chain on my savage, so i'd be very thankfull if someone could write donw all other bike models and years that has a chain kit wich would fit on savage.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 06:28:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain or belt drive???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.