Send Topic Print
chain or belt drive??? (Read 597 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: chain or belt drive???
Reply #15 - 11/12/09 at 10:35:09

It's not a kit really. Juts go to bikebandit.com and order the 2 sprockets and a chain. Thats all there is to it.

IP Logged
Monte
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #16 - 11/16/09 at 05:58:55

Sorry for the stupid post again, bot I don't really understand what sprockets should I use. I would be very thankful if You could give me direct link to it from bikebandit.com. Thanks Wink

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 11/16/09 at 11:55:53

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1174239333/0#0

^ This has all the info you need. Read before you proceed.

http://www.bikebandit.com/jt-front-steel-sprocket?mg=3628&t=1&td=1

Front - pick a size. I recommend 17

http://www.bikebandit.com/jt-rear-steel-sprocket?mg=3628&t=1&td=1

Rear - pick a size. 43 - 50 are your best choices

http://www.bikebandit.com/street-chains/c/a697193a622987a697167

Pick a chain. size 530, length 110 links. Make sure the clip on the master link has the closed end facing the direction of travel when you install it.

IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #18 - 11/26/09 at 16:53:46

what strength of chain you guys recommend?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 11/27/09 at 08:43:35

Danroot,

The chain we use today fits the sprockets that fit the holes and splines of a 1986 era design type sister motorcycle.  

They happen to fit our bike too 'cause Suzuki has a lot of common use design parts between their bikes (clutch plates, baskets, sprockets, spline shafts, wheel hub geometry are all reused from bike to bike as common parts between models saves design time and it also mean less costly parts).

Chains used to be huge so to be able to carry the loads the larger, more powerful bikes required while still being made of fairly soft material.  So our chain is huge -- ain't many much bigger.

Interesting point is that if you buy a premium grade X ring chain made today, it is made of modern high strength steels -- but it still has to be made HUGE to fit the sprockets.   We don't know how strong the resulting chain is, but it is stronger than we need by far.  This means potentially very durable too.

If you set up a squeeze oiler to preserve the external lubing of the O rings and the sprocket itself, then the O rings will keep the factory grease inside the links for like 50,000 miles.  Your spockets will last that long too.

If you don't, the chain won't last 30,000 miles.  Sprocket goes when the chain goes (they are wear married after all).

===========

Now, interesting point for you to consider -- a chain conversion with a good X ring chain costs well over $100.  It costs less than a new belt, but that is still well over $160.  A good X ring chain by itself can cost over $100.

For twice that much money you can buy a Stage 2 Cam and then you don't need the chain conversion at all as your bike can spin up enough to use the stock belt ratios to break the ton.  In 4th gear no less.

So, you can spend the money to try to squeeze a little extra speed out of stock motor output at standard RPMs -- or you can spend the money to increase motor output and spin the motor up to higher rpm ranges that a stock motor simply cannot reach.

Chain conversion or Stage 2 Cam?   The dollars are not all that far apart from each other.

W.W.Y.D???

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
danroot

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 11/27/09 at 13:39:12

why not both? but when looking at a chain that says "up to 400cc recommended" is it not wise to use it?

IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #21 - 11/27/09 at 18:52:40

That suggests you are looking at a chain that is made of fairly soft material.  Remember, these chains are also industrial transmission chain, logging belt chain and a myrad myrad other uses (for the soft standard stuff).

You can buy this chain in several grades by 50 foot, 100 foot and 500 foot spools from industrial supply sources.

The soft stuff won't break on you if you use it on our bikes, but it will not last very long either.  Remember, a stock Savage is the equivalent of a 350 Honda in motor output, so you fit the "under 400cc rule" for the standard soft chain.

You keep reminding me of all the reasons I don't want to mess with a chain (and why my conversion kit stays in the drawer waiting for my belt to wear out).

Oiling it, messing with adjusting it, having it wear out and require replacement.  You are signing up for a constant hassle if you go chain.

===========

Put a Stage 2 cam in it and leave the belt on it.  Get same higher speeds, better overall performance and less daily monthly hassles.

Ah, but then your motor wears out a bit quicker ---- ain't nuttin for free, is there?

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #22 - 11/28/09 at 17:26:21

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
Texas-1-lunger

Iraq Vet

Reply #23 - 03/06/10 at 10:41:01

Just joined the ranks of chainers ! havent tried it out yet cause I have the RK chain and you need a special tool to press the rivits that i was not told about but all in all a very easy mod so far.

1st Cav 1st Team!
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 03/06/10 at 20:05:32

Monte wrote on 11/12/09 at 03:19:07:
I am going to install a chain on my savage, so i'd be very thankfull if someone could write donw all other bike models and years that has a chain kit wich would fit on savage.

The early 80's models of the GS 450's and 550's use the same exact sprockets; front and rear.

Here are the links to the two charts since the charts are so big and hard to work.
[url]http://www.sudco.com/CatalogJPG/390.jpg  [/url]

[url]http://www.sudco.com/CatalogJPG/444.jpg  [/url]

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #25 - 03/06/10 at 20:06:13

How do you make the darn charts smaller ?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 03/06/10 at 22:37:30

search for irfanview
it can be found at cnet
install
converts most anything to most anything
resizes too.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/27/24 at 08:31:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › chain or belt drive???

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.