Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need some help (Read 184 times)
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Need some help
08/30/09 at 06:03:30

I had a bad rectifier, so i put a new one on 3 days ago and was working good charging at 14volts, now its not charging again. why would i be burning up rectifiers? I have aftermarkit driving lights anyone have any issues with extra lights?

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Need some help
Reply #1 - 08/30/09 at 06:35:16

The charge circuit is pretty limited. IDK the specifics or the math to compute the load youve added, but, if you are running much more load than stock, you will mess stuff up.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #2 - 08/30/09 at 06:37:58

they are 55w driving lights, that is the only change and i had no problems before this.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #3 - 08/30/09 at 06:42:52

How long after the installation did you have problems?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #4 - 08/30/09 at 06:48:01

I did not notice for about a week or so, my trips on the bike are short, but after a week maybe the batt starting getting low, so i checked the charge and it was not charging so i put a new rectifier on it, 3 days ago, checked with the new one and it was charging just fine, then yesturday i could not get it to start, not sure what happened? today it fired right up. lol, but i checked the charging just for the hell of it, and nothing. so thats why im wondering if the lights may have something to do with it?

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/30/09 at 07:27:26

55 total or 55 each?

and what is your headlight? stock 55/65?

if 55 total with stock 55/65, ok, that's 110/120 watts

if 55 each then 165, borderline, i think

if 55 and 100/80, then 210/190, you in trouble.

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #6 - 08/30/09 at 12:38:46

They are 55w each, and i have 55w head light. SO thats 165w total, thats the only thing i've changed on the bike its got to be these lights.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #7 - 08/30/09 at 13:00:06

Yeah, I'd say that's your problem,  you're working your generator full time and with your short rides, it never catches up.

I've been thinking about the same thing, but haven't gone for it yet.  I'd swap out the 55's for 35's or 25's.  And get yourself a trickle charger, permanent mount the pig tail to the battery and charge it every night.

WWW   IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #8 - 08/30/09 at 19:10:29

Short rides... with the lights on????  Is the battery in good conditon, or is it getting old?

The most current drain on the battery is when starting the bike.  Most load on the alternator is getting the battery back up to charge after starting.   A battery that has seen better days takes more to charge.

You probably shouldn't run the extra lights for the first few miles until the battery is recharged.    

(FYI,  approx 4 amps for a 55W bulb)  

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #9 - 08/30/09 at 19:24:40

If you are gonna play with that kind of stuff, you might want to find a little volt meter to mount somewhere. Anywhere where you can give it a glance, at a stop light or something.
With a meter & some switches, so you can control the load on the system, you can have your lights & not eat your battery, too.

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #10 - 08/31/09 at 12:17:23

Thanks for the input. It is the lights, when they are on, i have them wired into the low beam system, when they are on i 'm only charging 12.7 volts, when i switch to high beam i charge at 14v so i will probly just have to take them off, Im just glad that i did not burn up the rectifier, lol

WWW   IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #11 - 08/31/09 at 12:19:55

Its probly time for a new batt, as i have no idea how long its been in there, lol

Is ou batts a comon bat that can be found a wali-world or autozone?

WWW   IP Logged
iMc
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, TX
Reply #12 - 08/31/09 at 15:01:44

found a cheap battery at walmart, had to fill the acid myself and trickle charge it before installing it in the bike. cost me $42 for the battery after tax, and about $20 for the charger.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #13 - 08/31/09 at 17:08:23

speedingman wrote on 08/30/09 at 12:38:46:
They are 55w each, and i have 55w head light. SO thats 165w total, thats the only thing i've changed on the bike its got to be these lights.

plus++++
front running lights plus++++rear marker/tail light (higher draw when braking) plus+++license light plus+++ ts so if you are turnin while braking ad+++another 27 watts

i went with led driving lites thy were 35 watt halogen minis(mr11)that i changed out more for a different color(8k kelvin blueish)for the cell phone talking make up using cagers out there not to light the road i got
a 55/60 watt high kelvin head lamp and high beam lites up the road fine..
also my stereo draws 36 watts so im scrimpin power where ever i can get it..
did the cross brace all thread on my ed L forward controlls and added amber leds to it i am seen coming and going too

BTW ssm states no more than 1.4 amps charging current

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Reply #14 - 08/31/09 at 22:29:10

Do you have any info on those lights, hate to take mine off they look sweet maybe i can just change the bulb? Put in lower bulbs, i put them on so i can be seen better, not really to light up the road.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:24:04

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need some help

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.