Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
i've done it again...muffler help!! (Read 193 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
i've done it again...muffler help!!
08/29/09 at 23:52:34

ok so i totally destroyed the old muffler taking it off...it had rusted almost as solid as a weld lol this is how it went the whole time "ok that's the muffler right there....no this is it....no this is it..." it finally came off with a hammer lol

ok so the sportster muffler slides right on, when i clamp it down it's still loose enough to pull off....and the hole doesn't match up @ all where the old muffler bolts to the frame....ok...if i can get a friend to cut and reweld the holes for the bolts, will the muffler be ok if it slides on about 2 inches, but doesn't tighten down all the way.

OR can i have him run a bead around the muffler to header?

IF i can't do this i may just have him weld an aluminum straight pipe to the muffler...what size is best?

i want to use the harley muffler, it looks great and it's debaffled so it should be loud BUT if a straight pipe will be easier i may go that route....oh yeah aluminum is ok to use for that right???

thanks in advance...and no laughing ok! as soon as my jets get here and the k&n filter she should be all set....but this muffler was a little bit more then i thought it was going to be...i got it for free if that's thinking positively!

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
jabman

England
Re: i've done it again...muffler help!!
Reply #1 - 08/30/09 at 00:09:14

there was a small gap with my dyna muffler, i used lots of exhaust paste around the header connection, before i pushed the muffler on. i then used two metal locking exhaust bolts on the bracket to hold the pipe rock solid and then bought a bigger exhaust clamp to go over the joint. i fastened that as tight as i possible. so some exhaust paste starts coming out out. with everything tight i started the bike and idled it for a while. this got the exhaust hot and made the paste expand and set rock hard sealing the joint completely.  i refitted the guard and took it for a spin. NO LEAKS!

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #2 - 08/30/09 at 00:09:30

I would make a short pipe to adapt the header to the muf.
8" long I think with a 7° bend in it.
I'd figure out how to bolt it to the support, taket to a muf place and see if they'll make it up for you.  some have said it was done gratis.

WWW   IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #3 - 08/30/09 at 00:13:40

well the place i used to work welds frames for heavy duty awnings....steel, aluminum whatever! so i was hoping they'd be able to either make a pipe in between like u said or just move the little bracket to bolt it onto.

i'll have to get some paste, didn't know they had that stuff, i hope it comes out nasty too ahah

or the option of straight pipe is still in, but i figured the muffler would look better to police.

is there a certain length away from the wheel or anything i have to worry about with the exit of the exhaust? or can i just snug it on as far onto the muffler it will go?

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 08/30/09 at 00:32:59

actually i just thought about it...maybe i can get a flat piece of metal and make an "extension" for the holes that are already there and just bolt it in....what i would use for that is beyond me lol

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/30/09 at 01:04:15

Need a piece of metal? Go to the scrap yard. They buy & sell. Odds are, you walk up & ask them where to find something to weld onto an exhaust for a bike , theyll point you to a stack of metal. You most likely will spend about a dollar. Or nothing. I guess it depends on the attitude of the folks running it. I haled some stuff off when I went needing some metal. They paid me $8.00 & change, then I went looking for what I wanted & the guy had a little trouble with the reading on the scale & just let me have it, instead of re reading it.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 08/30/09 at 06:48:39

haha that sounds like a plan!! i'll have to see what i can create lol!

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #7 - 08/30/09 at 11:18:37

update! my friend gave me a dual muffler off a honda i think....point is it has all these plates and clamp goodys i can mess with and maybe make something with !!!

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #8 - 08/30/09 at 11:19:35

I cut about 10 slots into the header end of my muffler with a hacksaw, and used a 1" strip of tin can as a spacer... then it clamped down....
I also drilled a new hole in the muffler bracket to mount it...

It ain't a bolt-on,... Make it fit...  Don't take no for an answer...

Grrr!...
Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #9 - 08/30/09 at 11:44:11

JC Whitney used to sale a muffler adapter kit that had different size adapters and spacers. They might still have them in their motorcycle catalogue. It would be worth checking into to keep from using putty or welding. I restored an old Moto Guzzi years ago and I ended up using a Harley muffler on it. The JC Whitney kit had the correct size spacer.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #10 - 08/30/09 at 12:06:02

No, aluminum can't be welded to steel.  (Actually a local company explosive bonds aluminum to steel, but that's a subject for a different posting.)

You could weld a pipe extension or a muffler to the header, but you have to get them lined up just right first.

The right Harley Dyna muffler is bolt-on with 5/15" carriage bolts.

Auto parts stores sell muffler & tail pipe patching paste, <$4, that will seal all those slots that you'll have to cut to allow the the 12° angle, then clamp with a standard 1-3/4" $2.50 exhaust pipe clamp or a $10 stainless steel high strength clamp from a motorcycle shop.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #11 - 08/30/09 at 12:19:57

screw all that.  Cut a can into a strip, fold it over once or twice, wrap it around the end of the header, slide the dyna over top and clamp it down. I wouldnt worry too much at all about the bracket. Its definately needed to support the anchor of a stock muffler but the dyna weighs so little in comparison. I put 5k mi on with no attachment to the bracket and didnt have any problem at all. If you dont have a can handy find an RC cola machine. $.35 and you're good to go.

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/30/09 at 12:26:40

Or just jam it on there, clamp it to the old bracket and ride. ( snort rumble pop jake brake snort snort pop pop pop)

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #13 - 08/30/09 at 15:21:23

haha this is y i'm a member on here! u guys are just as sick as i am!

i forgot to mention that i took her for a ride just clamped on, and she is loud! only around the block..but my neighbors(1800vtx and 12oo sportster) wanted to know what i did! it is SICK!

and my bike is the same size as the 1200...but he has twice the engine lol !

i'm taking a plate from a honda muffler and gonna cut it, drill a couple of holes in the bracket frame thingy, shove it on there with some rubber o-rings to combat vibration and RIDE!!

cycle gear said my k&n should be there tuesday, and as soon as my jets arrive going to town!!

the way she sounds so far, i may be changin her name to SHELLSHOCK haha Shocked

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #14 - 08/30/09 at 16:08:56

Those header bolts are pretty skinny & thats a long lever going to the back of the bike. I cant imagine having no support on the muffler end of it & expecting those little bolts to handle that load. Seems it would tend to crush the header gasket down continually, too.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:23:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › i've done it again...muffler help!!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.