$@#%$ screw! (Read 554 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Re: $@#%$ screw!
Reply #15 - 08/30/09 at 07:26:23

After many moons of wrenching, I have learned  the whole secret is to not break any screws in the first place. And I'm tellin ya, it take a lot of experience to get the "feel" of how far to push it before you just give it a break, and soak it, hammer on it, impact driver it.....back and forth, on and on, whatever it takes, but it WILL come loose in time.

If these bike are a real problem w/ this, maybe we should back them out now, (later models) and never seize them Undecided

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/30/09 at 07:30:13

i even removed the front bulbs just 2 make sure i wasn't crazy

Well, allright! Ive had my front 2 out, so now I can feel good that Im not crazy? Whewwww! Ive been a sweatin that.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
danibugg

PNW
Reply #17 - 08/30/09 at 20:02:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/30/09 at 07:30:13:
so now I can feel good that Im not crazy? Whewwww! Ive been a sweatin that.

Well, I don't know if the jury is out on that one...  Grin

1998 Suzuki Savage LS 650, black, 11.5k. verslavy, relocated turn signals, saddlebags.
  IP Logged
ODSavage
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #18 - 08/30/09 at 20:15:48

I was able to use a dremel tool to cut a slot into the screw and use a flat head screwdriver to remove it once.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #19 - 11/24/09 at 22:37:46

The best treatise I've ever seen on stuck fasteners was this thread on my ST1100 forum.

http://www.my-mc.com/messages/1/121083.html?1258915684

Pay special attention to the posts by Norm Keller.  This guy is the real deal.

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #20 - 11/25/09 at 06:11:38

I know it sounds like a joke, but go purchase some LEFT-HANDED DRILL BITS. You will need a reversible drill to use them. The idea is that the normal drill bit turns the same way the screw turns when it is tightened, while the left-handed bit turns the way the screw turns when it is loosened. Using the left-handed bit, the bit is "trying" to loosen the scew while you are drilling the hole for the EZ-out. If you get really lucky, the drill will remove the screw for you.

Someone else made reference to it, but the screws used in Japanese motorcycles are NOT Phillips screws. A Phillips screwdriver will damage the screw head holes if the screws are tight. The screws are JIS (I think) and believe it or not, the screwdrivers in your much-maligned tool kit actually fit them.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
photojoe FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

I did warn you to
brace yourself

New Jersey
Reply #21 - 11/25/09 at 08:54:07

I was in the same situation last week with the freaking master cylinder screw stripped freaking bare. I was convinced that I would have to remove the MC, but picked up a 3 piece screw extractor set at sears for $10.00 here (website says $15, but got it for $10): http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00952154000P?sid=BVReview
It has a 1/4" bit end. I picked up one of those magnetic screw drivers in the bargain bin for $3.00 on the way out the door. Inserted the extractor into the screwdriver, lined it up, gave it a tap with a hammer, the extractor grabbed the head and it slowly came out with a bit of patience. The grabbing power was amazing.

FSO
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #22 - 11/25/09 at 18:50:57

Charon wrote on 11/25/09 at 06:11:38:
Someone else made reference to it, but the screws used in Japanese motorcycles are NOT Phillips screws. A Phillips screwdriver will damage the screw head holes if the screws are tight. The screws are JIS (I think) and believe it or not, the screwdrivers in your much-maligned tool kit actually fit them.

Thanks - that is good information to know!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
T Mack 1 - FSO
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

sold 2001 LS650 for
a 1986 XLH1100

Emmaus,Pa
Reply #23 - 11/27/09 at 05:21:48

speedingman wrote on 08/30/09 at 06:53:43:
Add an impact driver to your tool collection, you just hit the but of it and it turns the screw out.

heres one!
http://www0.shopping.com/xPO-Impact_Hand_Impact_Driver_Tool

I agreed,   for almost all the screws I take out of bike now I use the impact driver first.  

Until  I bought one at Auto-Zone, I though my friend who had one was nuts for always using it.   Now I know he was a learn'd soul.... guru of fixing old bikes......

Engineers design things, Technicians make them work.
---
30% of being mechanical is confidence/30% is knowing to go slow when needed/30% is looking repeatedly at what you have/10% is dumb luck Wink
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #24 - 11/27/09 at 08:55:17

I have a Ryobi battery powered 1/4 impact. It drills & runs screws with great ease. I havent needed it on the bike, but I will not hesitate if I do. I have a hand held, hammersmakkin type impact & a 3/8ths & a 1/2" air type, but the little battery powered dude is really handy, so Ill try it first. Itll drive a dry wall screw into hard wood, & unlike using a drill, It wont knock ya off a ladder with the torque. Goes a LONG time on a charge & charges up pretty fast.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #25 - 11/27/09 at 09:13:53

I generally take out all the phillips type screws on a new bike and replace them with stainless allen heads.  And a touch of never size.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Truckinduc

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #26 - 11/27/09 at 09:16:29

The worst, In my eyes, was my exhaust flange bolt was seized in the head.

I tried penetrating oil, heat, shocking it, and everything.  Bolt shill sheared and the fun began.

Drilled it for an ez out, stripped the ez out.  Finally drilled the entire bolt out and used a dentist pick to remove the threads. Re tapped the hole to make sure all was good.

About 6 hours total. What a crock.

I guess thats to be expected from a bike that sat outside for 3 years.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #27 - 11/27/09 at 12:31:45

About 6 hours total. What a crock.

HA! I coulda easily done it in 8 or 10...you got off light.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #28 - 11/27/09 at 19:06:35

think i could do that in 6 days!

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #29 - 11/27/09 at 20:57:21

OOOKay, Show of hands, Who here REally thinks he was bragging that he got that skinny little busted off bolt out of that hard to get to area "Down there" on the head in only 6 hours???

I do, I do,,

& frankly, I dont blame him

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 12:17:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › $@#%$ screw!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.