Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Alignment of Front Fork (Read 54 times)
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Alignment of Front Fork
08/27/09 at 17:13:53

Around the same time Oldfeller's machine got accosted, a friend I was teaching to ride dropped mine at about 30mph across an empty grinder and tweaked the front end.

Nothing is bent as far as I can tell using a 8" triangle.

I understand I need to loosen "all the stuff holding the fork tubes".  On a savage that is the pinch bolt and axle on the bottom right, the two pinch bolts on the lower tree, and...  the two >24mm bolts at the top of the upper tree?  is there anything else?

Should I suspend the front end?  Support the frame but leave the  tire on the ground?  Just loosen it all and bounce it?  Avoid the fron t brake or use it?  Should the bars be attached, removed, or unencumbered?

How do I align the front end on a savage?  Can anyone advise?

IP Logged
bsdnfraje

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Alignment of Front Fork
Reply #1 - 08/27/09 at 17:41:00

It was a good thing in the long run.  My friend learned an importsant lesson, and nearly everything broken was something I wanted to change anyway.  

The sissybar is gone, the chrome fender rails are gone, the rear stock blinkers are replaced by lights on the plate holder.  I need a new headlight and a new gas tank.  I have a nice taillight to replace the stocker with.  New harley pegs drilled out.

I think I am gonna pull the breather, since I am missing the left side cover anyway and replace it and the battery box with a fake oil tank and battery tray with the leather retaining strap.

Anyway, the bike rides fine, but i can see that the leading edge iof the wheel is tweaked ever so slightly to the right.

Thanks.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #2 - 08/27/09 at 20:13:54

Can you make a jig that holds the front wheel straight?  Align the rear wheel straight with the front wheel, get the forks and triple tree & bars straight, and tighten everything.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #3 - 08/27/09 at 20:17:21

Here we go. Get a piece of string that isnt stretchy. Secure that string so that it is centered on the front tire & out on the front edge. Make sure that when you pull the string taut, not like trying to rip it off the tire, just so its straight, not sagging. Take the string to each handlebar end. Loosen lower triple tree up & adjust the front end so each side is the same length. I had to do that after I dropped one.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 06:54:08

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Alignment of Front Fork

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.