Send Topic Print
Rotella motor oil (Read 1393 times)
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Rotella motor oil
Reply #90 - 12/08/09 at 22:02:52

FINALLY. Its official. Now maybe my friends will stop ribbing me about using a diesel truck oil. Even better, maybe they'll quit paying for overpriced "motorcycle oil"

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #91 - 12/09/09 at 18:22:55

From another forum:

"New JASO oil standards (MA1, MA2):

JASO effectively added the JASO-MA2 & JASO-MA1 specifications by splitting the existing JASO-MA spec into two groups by friction-performance (MA1 is the lower friction oils; MA2 the higher friction oils suitable for bikes).
The change came out as final/approved in 2006 in response to catalytic converters becoming widespread in bikes (EPA/EU requirements); it was also prompted in part by the car-lobby of the JASO organization wanting to specify a subset of the JASO-MA oils for use in their cars (the low friction oils, which become JASO-MA1). JASO-MA2 is just starting to show up in the US Market as a rating because this is the first year that catalytic converter-equipped bikes are widespread.

Aside from splitting the MA spec into two sub-groups, the new specs add a phosphorous content ceiling (better protect catalytic converters by using less, but phosphorous is also anti-wear additive, so it could be less start-up protection). JASO-MA2 being the heavier friction oils most suitable for motorcycle use will become the common standard for Japanese-built (and many Euro-built) motorcycles for the '08 and later model years.

Note that JASO-MA2 can now be API SJ formulated, but API SL & API SM formulations still directly contradict JASO-MA/MA1/MA2 standards because of the use of friction modifiers that are not wet-clutch compatible."

Neither my now-departed s40 nor my Volusia blew up (yet) from running Rotella.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #92 - 12/11/09 at 08:10:48

Yeah, it's official -- the world has done caught up with us crazy folks that read the silly bottles, do research and think.  

No more reason for having the endless oil war whenever things get boring any more.

What's sad is that Rotella is so popular now the price has risen quite a bit lately -- it used to be relatively a lot cheaper when compared to Mobil 1 and all since it was "just a diesel oil" back then.

Still, we all learned a bit during the various discussions we had over oil and its properties.  I learned that we really don't have good enough air filtration to run really extended oil change intervals no matter how good the oil is -- and I also learned a lot about people's thought processes and what they think in their gut about motor oil.

Now they have split JASO into car and motorcycle camps -- be very careful which JASO rating you think you need  (JASO MA2 fits our bikes best for now).

And, when they finally water down the JASO MA2 rating system for the new catalytic converter equipped bikes to the point JASO MA2 (and the "motorcycle" oils based on it) get a bit whimpy, you just remember that Rotella diesel oil will still be there and Rotella will still be quite suitable for a Savage engine.

Also, remember this stuff exists and a couple of ounces of it per oil change will refortify your old favorite oil back up to flat tappet standards no matter which brand that was.  This red stuff is concentrated ZDDP in a synthetic oil base, so don't just dump it in your bike -- it is a bumper concentrate and a couple of ounces is the right amount per oil change.

Since I have the Stage 2 Cam in my bike Web Cam wants a whopping 1500 PPM of ZDDP in a racing type oil and I ain't buying me no $16 a quart racing oil to get it.  I bought a whole quart the Redline bumper stuff for the same money and I have enough to put a couple of ounces (the needed amount) into a whole lot of diesel oil changes to get more than enough of what is needed to keep the Web Cam healthy ....

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #93 - 12/11/09 at 08:38:20

I may look into a 55 gallon drum..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #94 - 12/11/09 at 09:01:16

KLOTZ Hi-Performance TechniPlate Mx4- Zero wear oil,No additives needed.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #95 - 12/11/09 at 09:18:43

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #96 - 12/11/09 at 17:29:24

so... what kind do you like, Gort?

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #97 - 12/11/09 at 18:05:10

There is very little difference between the top oils of the various brands.  That opinion has been repeatedly explained in great detail on the Internet by people whos business it is to know lubrication.  I always use Mobil V-Twin motorcycle oil, because it is easily available to me and  because I know it was designed for motorcycles by engineers with vastly more education and research funding then the combined sum of every member here.  But I would also use Klotz, or Amsoil, or any of the other synthetic oils who's engineers say that it is correct for motorcycles, including synthetic Rotella (now that Shell's engineers have said it is okay for bike engines).   Motor oil has become state of the art a long time ago, and the difference between the various manufacturer's best oils is insignificant enough to make little difference in your bike or car, so long as you use an oil approved for bike engines and their clutches, in your bike.  The vigorous debating that goes on here has to do with some posters vainly insisting that their choice is best, to the point of becoming insulting.  Then insults are returned, and then other members jump in and have fun with those posters, and the circus continues.  Its like going to a zoo, and seeing the angry Gorilla in his cage, and throwing peanuts in his face to piss him off, and then laughing at his frustration.  Thats what happens in these oil debates.

« Last Edit: 12/12/09 at 12:23:14 by Arthur »  
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #98 - 12/11/09 at 19:00:35

Dont try that at the monkey cage....dont ask me how I know

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
ero4444

weekender

Reply #99 - 12/12/09 at 14:10:14

you know, I thought it was a little silly for Gort to post the Klotz pic but I learned something - the bottle has a little impression of the right way to pour the bottle (spout up) that I never realized.  That way the oil shouldn't gulp.

c2001, 3800miles, 3rd owner, adjusted idle, raised seat, Tkat brace, Raptor petcock, cleaned carb, replaced some jets, Dyna muffler, Fiamm horns, Shinkos, future Ed L. forward controls, fork boots.
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #100 - 12/12/09 at 14:15:51

Gort is vehemently opposed to Rotella even though it has now been approved for our uses by Shell. He swears by klotz ever chance he gets hence the picture. Its okay though, no ones perfect and we all forgive him.
Grin I joke I joke but seriously...
The oil fill hole is located in such a way that youre going to dump a bunch of oil all over the front of the case no matter which way you tip it. I just use a funnel.

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #101 - 12/12/09 at 17:42:08

Actually, I never heard of Klotz until Bill67 mentioned it.  I posted the Klotz picture to put some smiles on faces of those who have been following this idiotic debate for over a year.  I like Rotella, it tastes good.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #102 - 12/12/09 at 18:15:43

your right. Got you and bill mixed up some how. I've been following but not closely enoguh it seems. Its kind of like seinfeld. Entertaining but not something i really contemplate.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #103 - 12/12/09 at 18:41:05

Shells is only 50 years behind the other motor oils.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #104 - 12/12/09 at 19:38:26

BurnPgh wrote on 12/12/09 at 18:15:43:
your right. Got you and bill mixed up some how. I've been following but not closely enoguh it seems. Its kind of like seinfeld. Entertaining but not something i really contemplate.

The whole thing started when some members insisted that certain oils were the best, and then insulted and attacked those who disagreed.  The debate went from interesting, to a free for all.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:03:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rotella motor oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.