Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Re: Rotella motor oil
Reply #45 - 08/29/09 at 17:04:05

All syn is $10 plus a quart --
All syn is overpriced and overhyped ---

Rotella Syn at Wally costs $19 a gallon or about $5 a quart.

That's $10 bucks a whole oil change

(or $10 bucks for a year's worth of oil if you run a super magnet on the filter and don't have a really leaky bike.)

This is one perfectly good synthetic oil that doesn't break your wallet.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #46 - 08/29/09 at 17:38:23

Looks like with Rotella I would save a $1 a month.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #47 - 08/30/09 at 02:14:33

Bill, Bill .....  spin doctoring and sinking down to using Obama math -- I expected better from you.

============

Klotz thought the internet costs you $11 a quart plus $8.75 in shipping cost to actually get it to you.

Lets see, that's $30.75 for an oil change (we are going to assume we both use an oil filter, so the filter is a wash for this analysis).

I use a half gallon of the Rotella Syn that I pick up from the local Walmart at $19.00 a gallon which I will round up to costing me $10 for oil change for ease of calc.

Let's see, thats $20 difference for the first change.  Or, if you want to say it another way I can do my oil portion of the change two extra times for a total of three times for the same money you drop on your Klotz oil change.

3 years worth of oil only changes vs one year of oil change for the same money, plus I get the additives that the Savage's cam lobes and tappets and chain need and maybe you don't (ain't heard nothing about Klotz carrying any extra ZDDP in its mix and ain't gonna bother to look neither).

Or, if I save $20 each oil change I'd save a theoretical $60 over the three changes.  Any way you want to say it, the advantage goes cleanly to the Rotella Syn oil.

I liked Klotz two stroke oil back in the day because it didn't smoke near as bad as dino two stroke did, but I find the current 4 stroke stuff just way too pricey for my blood.

==========

BTW, I generously assumed you kept a magnet on your oil filer and kept your oil in the case for a full year like I do -- but you don't, do you?   You change your oil at least twice a year, don't you?  So, the cost advantage for Rotella Syn is really over twice as much as said above, isn't it?

Roll Eyes

(a little bit of twistie the 'ol knife, combined with a retro drop in technique -- these oil wars are endlessly entertaining, aren't they?)

« Last Edit: 08/31/09 at 05:45:07 by Oldfeller--FSO »  

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #48 - 08/30/09 at 05:13:30

With taxes it it would be$1.50 a month more for klotz,You do have drive to get your oil,my is put on my door step. So maybe the costs is more like $.75 per month more for racing oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #49 - 08/30/09 at 05:17:56

Pssst, hey Bill, he rides to get the erl, so its not a big expense AND that expense is offset, by grinning on the trip.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #50 - 08/31/09 at 05:16:49

Went from standard Rotella to synthetic in the blue can.  Engine is quieter.  Clutch & dogs work better.  Engine sounds and feels as if it revs up more easily.  First tank I got 59 mpg, versus the long-term 50 mpg on the regular Rotella.  

I'm surprised.  Will see whether this keeps going, the better mileage and so on.

I don't really understand the 5-40 designation.  Really is quieter.  The shifting difference is remarkable.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #51 - 08/31/09 at 05:48:55

The 5w40 designation means Rotella Syn doesn't change thickness very much when it gets cold or gets hot.

It is "fully warmed up" from the get go as far as how it first circulates in a cold engine.  
It moves quicker to lube your cam journal bearings and tranny cross shafts as our puny oil pump can move it more effectively

===============

You are the second or third person to say the tranny shifts better compared to previous oils.

Keep track of that mileage thing, that is interesting.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #52 - 08/31/09 at 05:53:32

Synthetic makes the engine quieter and trans shift better,To me thats prove of being slipper,Makes the forks slider easier too.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
4carbcorvair

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Maine
Reply #53 - 08/31/09 at 06:03:01

With a new car, it is recomended NOT to switch over to a syn to at least 3,000 miles. What would be recomended for our 650's? I have about 1,800 miles on mine.

Syn are definately recomended with Turbo's. Turbo Corvair owners really try for the diesel syn. Engine temps on these cars can run up around 450 degrees on a turbo car along with being flat tappet cams. Take that temp and shut the engine off, the oil around the turbo does not become happy.

07 S40
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #54 - 08/31/09 at 06:04:48

I went 1200 on mine I think bikes break in faster.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #55 - 08/31/09 at 06:11:28

Turbo shut down cooking dino based oils into a solid has been long documented among the turbo crowd as the number one reason of turbo failure.

Turbos run exhaust pipe hot and when you shut them off they take the oil in circulation in their bearings up to over 350 degrees F in some instances.

The only oil that can stand this sort of "heat soak attack" at turbo shut down is a syn oil -- you instantly void the warranty on a turbo equipped Corvette if you run a dino or a dino/syn blend even once.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #56 - 08/31/09 at 06:19:00

Total engine break in on bikes is well documented by Kawasaki and others that specify a break in procedure -- apparently break in on a bike takes place in the first 600 miles using dino oil.

Piston rings will "first seat" in the first 50 miles and will fully seat by the first 200 miles.  The plateau grind on the cylinder walls and the finish on all the tranny shafts take longer to reach their steady state.

I would not switch to syn oil until you had 1,000 miles on a bike, just to be on the safe side as the rapid wear in is greatly slowed down or stopped by the superior syn oils.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #57 - 08/31/09 at 07:22:49

voldigicam wrote on 08/31/09 at 05:16:49:
I don't really understand the 5-40 designation.

The "40" part means that is meets certain viscosity specs at 100°C.  The "5W" part means that its viscosity at -30°C is no greater than the spec allows.  "15W" meets its thicker spec at -20°C.  (From the SAE J300 specs.)  The "synthetic" part means that the viscosity index is >120*, the saturates are equal or greater than 90%**, and sulfur is <0.3%.    

In practical terms, it all means that the oil isn't as thick when cold, doesn't thin as much when very hot, and lives longer before it oxidizes in service.

*Viscosity index is a numerical scale relating to the difference in viscosity between 40°C and 100°C.
**Saturates means that oxygen atoms in the oil molecule have been replaced by hydrogen atoms by a hydrogenation process.

http://www.infineum.com/information/api_tables/SAE%20Viscosity%20Grades%20For...

« Last Edit: 08/31/09 at 09:58:39 by PTRider »  
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #58 - 08/31/09 at 18:29:58

The cold start is most nice now.

How long can I realistically run this oil?  I will get a supermagnet for the filter nice idea.  

A short ride to work, then back.  Shifts better dead cold than ever with dino oil.

Has me thinking I will keep this bike - feels more snappy.  Shifts adequately.  And the Corbin seat availability gives me hope!

Yesterday finally did repeated hard WOT runs in a safe spot - nice little surge on backing off a bit.  So the 155 main went in today.  Still starts, but no chance to get out on the road!

Will be fun monitoring mileage.  I have good records on dino oil commuting, longer trips, mountains.  47 to 53 mpg.  The sudden light fillup startled me - came out at 59.3 mpg.  Big enough to give me a start!  Admittedly, little start and stop, but country curvy with accel/decel, some highway fast, and the WOT tests.  So I wasn't looking at saving gas!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #59 - 08/31/09 at 18:45:54

I suspect between the lot of us here on this list (historical as well as current) we have a man-century's worth of knowledge about this particular scooter.

It isn't perfect, but what bike really is?

It responds well to efforts to improve it as it is currently delivered in a mildly FU & intentionally screwed up state of tune (thanks to the EPA and the EC's hp limits for starter bikes for that sad state of affairs).  

Hey, at least we don't have to go fishing some stupid "limiter washers" out from behind our carb inlet rubber boot like the Europeans have to do now-a-days.

It is a low cost, high satisfaction scooter (especially if you get one used).

Makes the worlds best wee bagger style get around town bike OR a right satisfying clean looking bobber OR a killer looking cafe racer.  

Versatile !!

You can run it on the cheap, or you can dump endless money and attention into it, whatever trips your trigger.

Plus it comes with us, the list -- built in help, commentary, oil wars and riding friends.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 05:27:41

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rotella motor oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.