Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Rotella motor oil
Reply #15 - 08/27/09 at 16:45:15

Don't use the synthetic for cooking,... you won't leave the house for a week... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #16 - 08/27/09 at 20:12:04

Routy wrote on 08/27/09 at 16:18:34:
I forget which Syn Castrol is supposed to be far superiour to any of the Rotella, but I put it in the bike.
My mechanic says that Castrol Syntec is the one automotive oil he can rely on to make clutches slip.  Regular Castrol is Ok.

IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #17 - 08/27/09 at 21:00:48

wait your suppose to put oil in it...

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #18 - 08/27/09 at 23:57:47

Yep, every now and then.  You can even use the Shell Rotella oil if you want to. Wink

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #19 - 08/28/09 at 06:54:40

Perspective counts for a lot in these oil threads -- we have too long of a history of having fun arguing about oil for the extended "oil war history" not to enter into it.

Bill likes his Klotz oil and swears by it -- I only used Klotz in my two stroke Yamaha 400 cafe racer back in the day as it cut down on exhaust smoke being the very first synthetic two stroke bike oil that would meter correctly through the Yammie's separate tank automatic lube system.  

It is very expensive oil though.  More so than Mobil 1 V twin or Amisol.

Mind you, any oil will "work OK" if you don't care about our Savage's long term wear issues.  These long term wear issues gather around our flat cam tappets and cam chains and, because of our wet clutches, seem to be best addressed by ZDDP additive in the over 12 parts per million level (which is a pretty high level that does not exist any more in modern car oils because of type 2 catalytic converters that are used in modern cars are "coated" by ZDDP and are rendered less effective)

Over the road diesel oils still have the ZDDP levels we need.  So does Mobil 1 V Twin ($12 a quart) and Amisol motorcycle 20-50)

Sorry Bill, I can't speak for Klotz -- I don't know enough about it any more as I haven't touched a can in well over a decade.

If you are on a budget, Rotella white jug 15w40 Triple Protection has what you need at only $3 a quart.  Change it twice a year and you are good to go.

If you want extra overheating the head insurance, buy the blue jug synthetic Rotella 5w40.  Some would say this is overkill, but you can leave it in your bike for a full year if you run a super magnet on your oil filter.  The super magnet cost $14 but you get payback in a few years due to the lowered cost of oil filters that you will see with the one year change frequency.

So far, a super magnet, EMCO oil filters, Rotella Syn 5w40 and a one year oil change frequency yields the lowest cost, least troublesome complete oil maintenance system found for the Savage that meets all the ZDDP and clutch requirements that our peculiar living antique flat tappet valve train system has laid upon us.

Not that Bill or Charon will ever agree to any part of this -- they are veteran oil warriors that will never yield or say die on any point given above.

It is against their religion as proper oil warriors.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Jimmer

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

NewportPa.
Reply #20 - 08/28/09 at 07:01:47

Did not want to rekindle the oil wars. Just had a simple question. Glad I could stimulate the brain thrust with in this group.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #21 - 08/28/09 at 08:47:35

Klotz synthetic has been around as long as any synthetic oil and longer than most.Amsoil doesn't test it against their own oil like they do a lot of other oils.There must be a reason they don't test it.I would say they have tested it,thats why they don't show it in their reports.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #22 - 08/28/09 at 10:26:58

Doesn't Klotz do any testing?
Or do they expect others to tell them they are better than they are?

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 08/28/09 at 13:58:09

Klotz don't have to rag on other oil companies Cool

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #24 - 08/28/09 at 14:05:23

Nuthin' against the product,.... but Klotz (clot's)... is an unfortunate name for a lubricant... Huh

Leakey would be bad too.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #25 - 08/28/09 at 14:44:15

How about "Knot oil", would really have you wondering.

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #26 - 08/28/09 at 14:46:28

bill67 wrote on 08/28/09 at 13:58:09:
Klotz don't have to rag on other oil companies Cool

So if they don't even test their own oil, how do you know it's worth a sh!t?

WWW   IP Logged
JohnBoy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/28/09 at 14:53:30

"Because it cost more!!!"

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #28 - 08/28/09 at 15:04:10

I've never seen Klotz oil offered on the West Coast.

Oil blenders probably do testing, but the testing that shows real differences is tough to explain to people who are not in the industry.  Tests that are easy to explain are often meaningless...like Amsoil's 4-ball wear test that does not relate to conditions inside a crankcase and does relate to gear oil & grease.  (I think that Amsoil makes good products that are over priced and over hyped.)

I you want to "make" your own oil, you just need to buy pure base oil from a refiner and a package of additives from one of the additive suppliers--Lubrizol and others.  Stir well.  Market well.  If you want to blend a superior oil, buy superior ingredients, hire really a sharp, inventive tribologist and chemist, and test to see if they actually did put together a superior product.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #29 - 08/28/09 at 15:20:38

When I was 10 or 11, my G-paw had a country store. Feed store, bait store, gas pumps, you know.. Well, he bought a display case of oil. Had about 20 quarts I guess. LOW priced stuff, no one would touch it. He picked it up & set it in a back corner for about 6 months,Hauled it out, dusted it off, jacked the price up & it sold out in a month...

People have been told " You get what you pay for" until they believe it.
Truth is, you'll pay for what you get, & then some.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 03:34:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rotella motor oil

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.