Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
getting rid of decomp control and starter relay (Read 564 times)
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
getting rid of decomp control and starter relay
08/26/09 at 22:33:01

I'm going bare bones and going to manual decomp.  Do I need to rewire the ignition control or can I just remove the wiring to the decomp controller?

Is the starter relay necessary without the decomp control?  Can I not just have a switch operating between the battery and the starter?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
speedingman

Take'n it one day at
a time

Re: getting rid of decomp control and starter rela
Reply #1 - 08/26/09 at 23:10:29

According to the clymer's diagram the decomp solenoid is controlled by the control unit (starter solenoid controller) it is not interlocked with anything, so you could just unplug it, but i would use caution as book says can cause engine damage is decomp is not working.

WWW   IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/27/09 at 00:08:38

and I believe you do need a starter relay. A lot of amps run through those contacts on starting, your "start" button would melt, all with wiring to it and back in 5 secs. recommend you keep it at least.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #3 - 08/27/09 at 05:04:20

Starter?

We don't need no stinkin' starters!  And that includes the kick start kind!

Real savages know how to do the "run and bump" start!

Anything else, and you might as well just take the meow mix you wimpy pussycat!   Grin

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #4 - 08/27/09 at 05:10:34

BobberT, my first bike was a 450cc Ducati with high compression and kick start only.

Manual decompression means the engine must turn VERY slowly because not even the most experienced rider can synchronize a manual decompression lever with the electric starter cranking the engine.

The Savage's starter motor is designed to take the electric decompressor into account, else it would have been twice as large...
... and cranking amps twice as many, and the battery would have been twice as big.

Leave it as it is, else get used to bump starting  Lips Sealed

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #5 - 08/27/09 at 05:43:02

You could replace the starter relay with a simple high current relay. There are some solid state switches that can handle the current. A plain switch to handle it would look kind of like the disconnect on a breaker box...huge. Automotive headlights use a relay and don't pull near the current we are talking about. Sometimes simpler isn't as reliable.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/27/09 at 06:38:59

The decomp timer fires the solenoid & sets the lever under the exhaust valve before firing the starter. It only holds it long enough to let the starter make sure the engine isnt coming up on compression & not have it spinning already. It drops the decomp after about .2 secs, I think. All someone needs do is pull the cable & hit the button & let go the cable after a short bit, no damage.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Reply #7 - 08/27/09 at 18:52:35

Well I tossed my wiring harness in the trash........... I have a few motorcycle starter solenoids and will just wire one in, lever on the decomp... thats it.

Thumb the decomp lever........... hit starter button........... let off decomp lever.

Whats so hard about that ?
Huh

IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/27/09 at 23:39:47

Nothing. There's a few off road beasts that use the same method.

IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #9 - 10/26/09 at 10:36:40

Im having troubles with my wiring setup.  Has anyone done this whole thing successfully?

In progress- 1996 Savage: solo seat, pod filter, open exhaust, and custom bars, fender, wiring, paint.
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 10/26/09 at 11:17:00

On the subject of wiring,  My engine recently quit when a main fuze blew.
We all know how much fun it is to track down the source of that.
Well, I got lucky. When I removed the tank, I immediately saw a wire showing bare burnt copper through a chaffed spot.  The loom had chaffed away then the insulation, finally a small spot of paint on the underside of the tank went bare and the deed was done. I rerouted the clutch cable and throttle cable to allow for a bit more room.  Then some liquid neoprene insulation and a little electricians tape, two new fuzes and I am on the road again.
Next time any of you folks have your tank off, look under it for bare spots, then look for a chaffed wire at that point.  It could save you some time not spent on the side of the road.

Phelonis

Phelonius
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #11 - 10/26/09 at 11:21:36

more info please
what trouble are you having?

WWW   IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #12 - 10/28/09 at 10:10:54

vroom1776 wrote on 06/04/07 at 15:20:36:
cFlow and I came up with this diagram.  It get's rid of the decomp timer/relay & solenoid, and let's you use the third key position (park) to start the bike.  for a 5-wire rect.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g152/vroom1776/5wire_park_Start.jpg?t=11810...

I used this diagram to wire my bike.  I set up a separate switch for the starter instead of wiring through the ignition.  I have not set up the lights yet.  I'm questioning why there's the wire spliced between the CDI and spark coil that goes into the ignition.  

I'm getting 12.5 V on my Big Crank battery.  I'm going to take it in and see how many amps it's putting out under load.

Problems:
1) I've run the starter through both the relay and by jumping it straight from the battery with car jumper cables.  I've done this with the spark plug removed.  In both scenarios, the engine turned slowly- reaching TDC about 2 to 3 times a second.  

2) I hooked up the main cables of the relay to the starter and ground but I'm having issues with the relay.
A) Sticking a screwdriver between the two poles of the starter does not create a short.  Contacts might be dirty.
B) Because I don't have the starter switch yet, I've touching the end of the switch leg to the relay to the positive terminal.  It usually activates the starter on the first try or two, but successive attempts only activate the relay.  I've checked the voltage on the battery after doing this and it remains fairly constant.

3) I'm not getting spark

IP Logged
babyhog
Serious Thumper

Find a Cure for
Breast Cancer!
 NOW!!

WV
Reply #13 - 10/28/09 at 10:15:30

Bobbert, I apologize for hacking your thread for this question, but it doesn't appear that the Savage Riders Map has been updated in some time.  Is it possible for anyone other than you to update it?  I'd be happy to help, if possible.

~ 2006 Black, Big Crank battery, HD Softail muffler, engine guard/o-ring pegs, Spitfite windshield, custom mounted Saddlemen bags, Mustang seat! ~ oh, and Hairdo by Helmet! ~
  IP Logged
Bobbert
Serious Thumper

CHOP IT

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #14 - 10/28/09 at 10:42:29

yes, I'm way too busy to do it, but it's possible.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 06:21:39

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › getting rid of decomp control and starter relay

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.