Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Turn signal wiring diagnosis (Read 234 times)
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: Turn signal wiring diagnosis
Reply #15 - 08/27/09 at 08:27:28

It would be a lot easier if I could see the setup, then I would have a better Idea of what is going on lol. Does everything have good clean grounds? What does your speedometer lights do?

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #16 - 08/27/09 at 08:32:51

Savage_Amusement wrote on 08/27/09 at 08:27:28:
It would be a lot easier if I could see the setup, then I would have a better Idea of what is going on lol. Does everything have good clean grounds? What does your speedometer lights do?

My "ground" wires are reading about 0.5V ... I would have thought they should definitely read 0.0V

Speedometer lights seem to flash correctly when I only have one side hooked up...once I hook up the other side, things get messy. So I might just have problems on one side.

Worst part is, I only have about 10 minutes or so working time before the battery is too dead to drive the flasher relay Sad, then I have to charge the battery, and start again.

I'm starting to get the feeling there is a bigger problem somewhere else.

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #17 - 08/27/09 at 08:36:39

Yeah your battery should last longer than 10 mins. I will sometimes leave my battery on the charger (trickle) while I'm testing out my issues. That way as soon as the switch goes off the charging starts.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #18 - 08/27/09 at 08:39:24

10 minutes of flasher time?  either your battery is toast or you gotta short.  check the flasher, does it get hot?

And if it starts acting screwy when the other side is hooked up, check that side wiring.  Or unhook the 1st side then hook up 2nd side 1st.

1/2 volt ground?  should be 0 volts.  you gotta fix that.  check the ground from the battery to the engine.

WWW   IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #19 - 08/27/09 at 08:41:19

verslagen1 wrote on 08/27/09 at 08:39:24:
10 minutes of flasher time?  either your battery is toast or you gotta short.  check the flasher, does it get hot?

And if it starts acting screwy when the other side is hooked up, check that side wiring.  Or unhook the 1st side then hook up 2nd side 1st.

1/2 volt ground?  should be 0 volts.  you gotta fix that.  check the ground from the battery to the engine.

Looking at the wiring diagram, I can't tell where the battery is actually grounded to the frame. I have a '96.
I think I have a grounding, and possibly shorting problem.

IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #20 - 08/27/09 at 08:57:10

If I disconnect the positive and negative leads from the battery, I'm assuming that the two turn signal 'hot' wires should have NO continuity with the frame ground?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/27/09 at 09:01:17

Mattdw wrote on 08/27/09 at 08:41:19:
Looking at the wiring diagram, I can't tell where the battery is actually grounded to the frame. I have a '96.
I think I have a grounding, and possibly shorting problem.

check the battery, follow the wire, should attache to the engine right behind the oil level window.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #22 - 08/27/09 at 09:02:09

one of the major grounds on my bike is right behind the clutch lever, no not the one for your hand, the one that goes into the right lower case.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #23 - 08/27/09 at 09:51:47

Pull your headlight bulb while you figure this out.... it'll help with battery life.......

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #24 - 08/27/09 at 12:07:22

Serowbot wrote on 08/27/09 at 09:51:47:
Pull your headlight bulb while you figure this out.... it'll help with battery life.......

Great suggestion Smiley
THANKS

IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #25 - 08/27/09 at 12:09:16

I'm looking to check for any short there may be in the system...because my battery life is so bad.

With the ignition off (key out), I'm assuming I can simply disconnect pos or neg from battery, and put my ammeter inline and look for any current drain?

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #26 - 08/27/09 at 12:27:20

If you have the seat off already you can unhook the two rear turn signals, sometimes they wear/rub the coating off under the side pieces. Might help to pull the tank off as well.

There is also some wires that go RIGHT next to the seat holder in the front that also holds down the tank, I've seen that pinched before.

Does the bulbs on the fronts have dual elements or single? That will make a difference as well.

IP Logged
Mattdw

Frisco, TX
Reply #27 - 08/28/09 at 06:57:09

Savage_Amusement wrote on 08/27/09 at 12:27:20:
If you have the seat off already you can unhook the two rear turn signals, sometimes they wear/rub the coating off under the side pieces. Might help to pull the tank off as well.

There is also some wires that go RIGHT next to the seat holder in the front that also holds down the tank, I've seen that pinched before.

Does the bulbs on the fronts have dual elements or single? That will make a difference as well.

Fronts have dual elements...rear ones do too (plan to have running lights on back)

This weekend is a 'wiring weekend'. I've been hoping I wouldn't have to tear her all down, but, not something I'm scared of...I've had the tank off before, and seats and such.

When I got the bike, the vacuum wasn't hooked to the petcock (ran out of gas cause it was on PRI), and the air filter was gone altogether...and the rear brake pedal return spring was unhooked...and...and...and...and...

You get the idea, but all in all, she's been a fun ride.

I would be lying if I said I didn't love to tear it down and do this kind of stuff Smiley

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:38:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Turn signal wiring diagnosis

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.