Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Seat lift - not sure I like it (Read 374 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Seat lift - not sure I like it
08/25/09 at 18:52:41

I've performed a version of the famed Seat lift as seen in "Technical Documents/Reference".

I've only ridden four 10 mile hops with it, but I'm not sure I like it.

I wanted to fix the sliding feeling I had. I felt like I had to keep shifting my butt back in the seat.

The way I did the mod was with 1 inch tall #5 rubber stoppers under the seat hold down strap. I also put 1 inch diameter heavy duty felt furniture pads under the rubber seat supports. They are 1/4 inch uncompressed and roughly 3/16 inch compressed. I put four under the front round rubber seat supports and two on the front and one on the back of the rectangular rubber seat supports. I left the rubber support that contacts the rear bumper alone. I wrapped electrical tape around the stacks of pads to hide them and add lateral strength.

It's not uncomfortable. I'm just not sure I like it. I find it harder to keep my knees along side the tank.

Maybe I just need more miles on it.

Anyone else not sure about the seat lift mod?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: Seat lift - not sure I like it
Reply #1 - 08/25/09 at 19:11:22

I didn't do,I see no reason to do it.The seat is just like all other bikes to me.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/25/09 at 19:13:26

i never liked the look of or the idea of the lift on the one piece seat so never did it on my 06,got an alaska leather "butt pad" Ed L forward controlls and have no complaints @ 5'9"
but we may have different riding styles if you like to squeeze the tank w/ your knees,i like the kicked back easy chair ride better,must be my age!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #3 - 08/25/09 at 19:26:30

I have both the HD one piece and the 2 piece that came on it. Did the seat lift, ripped the guts out and re-made it. I also hacked up the HD seat. I like the 2 piece better. Realize also that I have neck and lower back damage, but the lift, stuffing and original Ed_L forward controls make it quite tolerable. May give the HD seat away!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #4 - 08/25/09 at 19:30:33

A small hole & a short piece of broomstick & youll stop sliding around.
Just sayin...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #5 - 08/25/09 at 19:37:22

Justin,
I WILL give you the biggest compliment I ever heard. "Son, you ain't quite right". My reply was "Thank you". Grin Grin

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 08/25/09 at 19:37:59

I have an '01 with 9000 miles and a  very bad back. After 20 miles my lower back and tailbone ached. I got a memory foam mattress topper from Wal Mart in twin size for $40. An experienced upholsterer ADDED 1.5 inches to the top of the old foam and sewed on 2 new side panels for $20. I Armorall my seat and I don't slide around. Best of all 40 mile rides are no problem. The foam lets you "settle in" and works great for me. I have enough to do rear seat later, gave some to my cousin for his bicycles and my wife wrapped the rest around her pillow. (We have a memory foam mattress, also.) I read a lot of other internet posts that did not recommend it, but it works for me. Seat is now slightly rounded, but comfort is foremost for us old guys.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #7 - 08/25/09 at 20:23:44

i did the lift mod recently and expected more noticeable comfort. It didnt seem to do much...until i ran a full tank dry and realized as i was filling up that neither my back or a$$ ached. If you dont mind dropping the overall seat height the DJ seat mod is great in combo with the lift mod.

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #8 - 08/25/09 at 20:27:47

qn7qcw7 wrote on 08/25/09 at 19:37:59:
I have an '01 with 9000 miles and a  very bad back. After 20 miles my lower back and tailbone ached. I got a memory foam mattress topper from Wal Mart in twin size for $40. An experienced upholsterer ADDED 1.5 inches to the top of the old foam and sewed on 2 new side panels for $20. I Armorall my seat and I don't slide around. Best of all 40 mile rides are no problem. The foam lets you "settle in" and works great for me. I have enough to do rear seat later, gave some to my cousin for his bicycles and my wife wrapped the rest around her pillow. (We have a memory foam mattress, also.) I read a lot of other internet posts that did not recommend it, but it works for me. Seat is now slightly rounded, but comfort is foremost for us old guys.    

PICTURES, PICTURES!!

I would like to see this before I spend too much time making the Corbin seat work.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #9 - 08/25/09 at 20:54:28

What is the DJ seat mod?

I have bought memory foam also,from ebay,but I think widening the seat probably is the best thing for comfort.
And I'm building up the front of mine also,more like a saddle shape.

But,here I go again....too many different sizes of people to say what works best for everyone.
Too many people like too many different things.
I'm still also experimenting with different things,trying to find the best fit for me.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #10 - 08/25/09 at 21:18:45

qn7qcw7 wrote on 08/25/09 at 19:37:59:

she aint hardley warmed up at 40 miles!!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/25/09 at 21:53:25

Forty miles without stopping to walk around is plenty for me. And as for warming up, that's never been a problem with my Savage. I should have said earlier the new seat side panels were because previous owner wrecked and tore the fabric or pleather or whatever. Not required for just the foam fix. I took the foam to an old guy and told him to make it comfortable. My motto is to hire someone with experience, tell them what you want, and GET OUT OF THE WAY. I will try to get my wife's digital camera and figure out how to send pictures of my ride someday.

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #12 - 08/25/09 at 22:08:55

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245540151/0#0[url][/url]

Thats the DiamondJim (DJ) seat mod. Basically you just cut the foam off the stock seat pan, repad it with denser but thinner padding and reupholster it. Fair warning though, if you havent got Ed Ls forward controls you may be quite cramped depending on your inseam. With 4" forward controls and the seat lift/dj mod I FEEL like I have stock controls on. Not cramped but could be better.

IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #13 - 08/25/09 at 23:07:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/25/09 at 19:30:33:
A small hole & a short piece of broomstick & youll stop sliding around.
Just sayin...

Definitely need to see pictures of this mod!   Grin

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Gary On A Savage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Only 15 mins riding
could save you $$$
in Dr bills

Fresno, California
Reply #14 - 08/25/09 at 23:12:11

BurnPgh wrote on 08/25/09 at 22:08:55:
http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1245540151/0#0[url][/url]

Thats the DiamondJim (DJ) seat mod. Basically you just cut the foam off the stock seat pan, repad it with denser but thinner padding and reupholster it. Fair warning though, if you havent got Ed Ls forward controls you may be quite cramped depending on your inseam. With 4" forward controls and the seat lift/dj mod I FEEL like I have stock controls on. Not cramped but could be better.

Did something similar with the HD Sportster seat.  Cut the foam back at the bottom and back and put in the denser padding (blue stuff).  More room to the rear and firmer under the hip bones.

'95 Savage with the lowered, full fender look
'96 Honda Shadow 1100 ACE
My Riding Blog: http://garyonasavage.blogspot.com/
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 15:58:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Seat lift - not sure I like it

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!