Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
minor annoyance (Read 147 times)
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
minor annoyance
08/25/09 at 01:14:14

Hi all, the bike starts and idles fine ,no problem, but after a run when the engine is hot the idle  revs is away up, tried adjusting idle screw on carb but then she won't idle when cold, apart from that everything is perfect .Anybody else have this problem??  cheers,,Kenny Huh

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: minor annoyance
Reply #1 - 08/25/09 at 03:14:54

Yep, Ive talked about that several times. Cold, at 1/2 choke, I have to raise the idle a bit. Once its nice & warmed up, gotta tone it down a bit. Not a huge amount, but noticeable.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #2 - 08/25/09 at 04:34:00

Could it be the butterfly axle (throttle body axle, whatever) is worn and the butterfly valve gets stuck in the "3000rpm" mode?

OR

Worn, dry throttle cable lining... try spraying it with a very liberal dose of WD40 or similar oil, you bever know... Wink

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #3 - 08/25/09 at 06:32:49

It's perfectly normal. When the engine is cold, the oil is thicker, thus higher internal drag. And the carburetor, manifold, and cylinder are colder, so the fuel doesn't vaporize as well. We are all so spoiled with electronic engine controls in cars that we forget the way the old ones used to work. That's why they tell you to make sure the engine is warm before you make adjustments.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #4 - 08/25/09 at 07:49:10

Maybe the carb needs a little cleaning,I would put Sea Foam or some carb cleaner in if you can't get that over there.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #5 - 08/25/09 at 08:01:32

mpescatori wrote on 08/25/09 at 04:34:00:
Worn, dry throttle cable lining... try spraying it with a very liberal dose of WD40 or similar oil, you bever know... Wink

This is not my idea, but it is a good one.  Instead of just squrting a little WD40 at the cables, take then loose, top and bottom, cut the corner off a zip lock bag and rubber band it to the top and put some oil in there and hang it up, put a pan at the bottom to catch the oil when it comes out and let her soak overnight.

I did that and my cables worked much better.

Of course that might not have anything to do with your problem, but the cables will thank you.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #6 - 08/25/09 at 10:38:10

Charon is absolutely correct. Nailed it. Just warm it up good, set the idle and leave it. Mine is very nicely tuned, and this still happens.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #7 - 08/25/09 at 10:40:54

WD40 is a penetration oil, and very thin. not the best long term lube IMO. I read people using heavy gear oil to lube up the cables.

I do notice mine idles in a similar fashion when hot/cold. i usually adjust her depending on my mood i supose, she gets lots of ongoing attention anyway  Grin

IP Logged
drums1
Serious Thumper

'87 Savage
Bashed--Down for the
count

Racine, Wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/25/09 at 10:51:59

My '87 is the same way. I turn the throttle screw in 1/2 turn when cold and out 1/2 turn when warmed up.

IP Logged
kennycreed
Alliance Member

Island Of Lewis SCOTLAND
Reply #9 - 08/25/09 at 12:45:46

Aye it makes sense I think I will go for the oil being thicker when cold as the carb and cables are spot on, it was just one of those things that kind of niggles now and then,,cheers all.

trying to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #10 - 08/25/09 at 12:52:17

Ditto on my 87 and 86. Runs like crap without choke for the first couple minutes. I start her with choke, warm her up, and she's fine. For turn key "jump on and ride" right away stuff, if you have to without warming her up, run it with the choke on a bit until you go a few miles.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #11 - 08/25/09 at 15:00:24

Same with my '96. Just don't forget to put choke in after a bit or you'll foul the plug.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:48:18

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › minor annoyance

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.