Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jet or washer, main. (Read 66 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Jet or washer, main.
08/24/09 at 14:21:56

11 miles yesterday, lots of chances to get from pilot into main and back.  Had some highway miles, too, at 55 to 60.  I think I am getting less power as I roll into the throttle.  I'm getting maybe a little surge as I back off from WOT.  Usually I'm worried about other road users rather than running tests.  What really got me thinking is that I can feel the exhaust heat at 60 mph, but not at 45.  At 60 I'm into the main a bit I suspect.  All this making me wonder if I'm still a bit lean.

55 / 152.5 / dyna (very open) / stock very clean filter / 1/2 washer.

I'll try a bit more in the main.  But what to do?  Put in the 155?  I understand that used to be stock.  Is that correct?  Or cut the spacer down a bit more?  

Suggestions?

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Jet or washer, main.
Reply #1 - 08/24/09 at 14:38:07

I'm gonna say this quite qualified because I don't have the time on it that others have.

I think the '86 thru '88 carbs are different beyond the jetting being 155 vs. 145.  It may be the venturi or some of the other jets.  can't say for sure.  But I put a '88 carb on a '02.  On my WOT hill test the '96 will top out at 87.  The '8802 top's out at 82.

WWW   IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #2 - 08/24/09 at 15:12:42

If your exhaust is too open, you be be suffering from a serious lack of torque that jetting won't fix...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/24/09 at 16:42:39

I don't have a serious lack of torque, and I don't believe I have anything but a standard dyna muffler.  The muffler doesn't appear to be damaged.  The passage doesn't run straight through.  It's just baffled less than the stock muffler was.

I don't have a major problem, just thinking I'm still a little lean and wondering which step is most reasonable next.

The observation on old versus new carbs is interesting.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #4 - 08/24/09 at 23:04:56

If it was me, I would knock the spacer down to 1/3, then take it for a ride.  I'm running the same jets, and my bike pulls like John Deere, and lately I have been running a 150 main jet, cause I was too rich with the 152.5.  I wanted to see if going down a jet would have an adverse effects.  None so far, so the Savage still runs great.  I still get pops on decel and a slight hint of black smoke from the exhaust.  And black soot in the exhaust pipe as well.
Once I decide on the jet change, I'll have to change my tag line.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/24/09 at 23:42:31

verslagen1 wrote on 08/24/09 at 14:38:07:
I think the '86 thru '88 carbs are different beyond the jetting being 155 vs. 145.  It may be the venturi or some of the other jets.  can't say for sure.  

Yes,... Throttle valve...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/25/09 at 03:17:07

Interesting!  Thanks.

The bike was quite lean to begin with, so I've been gradually squeeking it richer.  The 55 pilot was a little rich with stock muffler - better with the dyna.  As usual, no carb with jets is quite perfect!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 02:47:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jet or washer, main.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.