Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Insulating the rectifier ? (Read 119 times)
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Insulating the rectifier ?
08/23/09 at 20:51:30

I'd forgot about this till now, but when I first got this bike, the dealer throwed some leather bags in w/ the deal, and I put the wide leather strap over the top of the rectifier under the seat, rather than over the seat.
Question is, has anyone else done this ? Is there any chance that in doing this, the rectifier could get over heated ?

Thanks for any replies

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: Insulating the rectifier ?
Reply #1 - 08/24/09 at 04:48:00

How long have you ridden it at Summer Temp levels like that?
Others have had the same concern. Generally, the advice is to move the rectifier or hack the bags up to give it some air. IDK how long it wuld take to drive it to fail, working w/o air flow under there, but those fins are there for cooling. You know, a guy Could put some more heat sink material on it..just a thot..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #2 - 08/24/09 at 09:29:15

I would free up the air flow around the rectifier. It generates heat and needs to be ventilated. Chances are you can notch out the saddlebag strap to fit around the rectifier. Or, you can put the strap under the rectfier using a longer bolt. Just be sure theres a bit of space between the top of the rectifer and the seat.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #3 - 08/24/09 at 10:08:37

Maybe I better have a look. Maybe the rectifier already modified the strap for me ??

I ridden 400 miles in a month, but nothing in hot weather. But I probably better change something.
thanks
Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/24/09 at 12:00:13

Go for a ride and when you stop, pop off the seat and see if it's hot.

the rectifier is bolted quite tightly to the fender, a rather large heat sink.

WWW   IP Logged
marine5317
Alliance Member

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Lecanto,FL
Reply #5 - 08/24/09 at 16:26:40

You can loosen up your fender rails and slide the crossover strap in behind the rails and retighten the rails. Cut the crossover accordingly to how high or low you want the bags.
                                                                            Ride Safe
                                                                            Marine5317

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 08:40:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Insulating the rectifier ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.