Send Topic Print
It won't run! (Read 165 times)
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

It won't run!
08/23/09 at 16:56:05

I just got an 86 Savage cheap, I haven't ridden in 30 years and am getting back to it on a shoestring.  It ran a bit rough at first, seemed to stumble and stalled at stops.  I thought a new plug and fresh gas would help but it seemed to get worse, black smoke, backfiring, running rough.  I noticed the fuel line was bad so I replaced it, now it won't fire up at all!   Any suggestions?

IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: It won't run!
Reply #1 - 08/23/09 at 17:45:56

what year, mileage, how long's it been sitting? If its been sitting the carb probably needs a good cleaning. Black smoke may be a rich condition. Is the stock muffler on there or some aftermarket peice? Rich can cause stumbling and such or the idle speed may be turned way down. Need more info basically.

IP Logged
boofer
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 08/23/09 at 18:07:58

Eric, we don't have enough info. Spill your guts. Sitting for years? Rusty tank? Weak battery? etc. I agree about cleaning carb. I also got back in after 30 years and can't think of a better bike for us "oldies". It is simple as an old tractor and pulls like a dull straight razor. Field strip it and clean it up. Visually inspect everything you can see. I like Seafoam additive. (after it's running) FOLLOW instructions on can. These people can help you, but I like straight talk and pictures, also from these people. Click on HOME, then TECHNICAL DOCUMENTS, then TABLE OF CONTENTS WITH LINKS.  Put on a pot of coffee and get to scrolling. I'll bet you find something to stimulate the "little gray cells" as Poirot says. Welcome, and enjoy. I understand the shoestring part. This bike is perfect for a small budget. Good luck.
Boofer      

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/23/09 at 18:23:10

Check for gas in the vacuum line that runs from the back of the petcock to the right side of the carb.   Any gas in there and you need to replace the petcock.  
Yamaha Raptor 660 petcock is best..$20 + shipping... there's also a fix for the stocker in the tech pages...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
matt_savage

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #4 - 08/23/09 at 20:36:31

rusty tank/clogged petcock would be my first check.  Carb clean and plug test would be next.  Most running problems have to do with the fuel delivery system.  

FWIW mine had all of these problems and it would run like crap and needed extra throttle to stay running.  Was putting out some blackish smoke as well.  HTH

-Matt

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/23/09 at 21:25:14

if you don't want to clean the carb ( which I would HIGHLY recommend )
drain the carb, fill with seafoam, let sit 24 hours, drain and put in tank with fresh gas.

WWW   IP Logged
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/24/09 at 17:17:49

Awsome, thanks for the replies.  The bike has about 34,000 km, sat for at least one year, has stock muffler.  I'll check the vacumn tube and start cleaning the carb.  I live in maritime Canada so there's not much bike season left before the snow flies.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #7 - 08/25/09 at 07:14:57

I had a old timer tell me when I started working on my own vehicles, if it will not start it's either spark or fuel. Any idea if the cam chain has been changed?

« Last Edit: 08/25/09 at 11:05:37 by Duane »  

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #8 - 08/25/09 at 10:47:21

Duane wrote on 08/25/09 at 07:14:57:
I had a old timer tell me when I started working on my own vehicles, it it will not start it's either spark or fuel. Any idea if the cam chain has been changed?

Excellent Advice.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #9 - 08/25/09 at 11:41:02

EricTheRed wrote on 08/23/09 at 16:56:05:
I just got an 86 Savage cheap, I haven't ridden in 30 years and am getting back to it on a shoestring.  It ran a bit rough at first, seemed to stumble and stalled at stops.  I thought a new plug and fresh gas would help but it seemed to get worse, black smoke, backfiring, running rough.  I noticed the fuel line was bad so I replaced it, now it won't fire up at all!   Any suggestions?

One thing, the ig system is voltage sensitive.  If you've been starting and trying to start and not running much, the battery could be worn down enough for it to turn over but not start.

And clean the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
EricTheRed
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/25/09 at 17:34:41

Don't know if the cam chain was ever touched.  The battery is a little weak, I Huh'll check my piggy bank to see if I can afford a new one.  I don't recall hearing about Seafoam, is there a generic equivalent I could use?  Carb Cleaner, methyl hydrate?

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #11 - 08/25/09 at 17:45:00

If you dont have a battery charger, grab one. A low buck unit will do it & youll need it again & again.
You can take tyhe battery to an auto parts store & theyll test it. Neat thing is, its gotta be charged to test it, so theyll charge it. Dont let them Cram the juic in it. I hear thats hard on these things. Check the H2O level & fill if needed w/ distilled. Youll need a syringe or a baster or something with a very small outlet. Once the water covers the hole, seems like nothing goes in, it just runs off the side. Dont overfill.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 20:54:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › It won't run!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.