Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Power to weight ratio and other speed info (Read 317 times)
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: Power to weight ratio and other speed info
Reply #15 - 08/23/09 at 20:26:52

Charon, only the last couple of pulls had torque logged (off the coil) and I didn't convert it on the chart, I can do that next time.

Again, I realized afterwards that my DIRTY STOCK air filter was still in there so running a little rich makes some sense.

I gutted it tonight and can put it on the dyno in a couple days and do pulls with the gutted air filter followed immediately by pulls with a new clean replacement stock-type filter for some unifrom data across the board with comparision.

Would you like fries with that?  Wink

A.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #16 - 08/25/09 at 07:30:16

bill67 wrote on 08/23/09 at 18:55:32:
Amen

ditto

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #17 - 08/25/09 at 11:45:01

The thing about dyno runs, is that they are usually done at wide-open throttle. That's because most folks are interested in the maximum power and torque. Carburetors meter fuel mostly according to throttle position, not engine speed. So about the only air/fuel information you get is for wide open, as the engine accelerates. You will know whether the main jet is about right, but you will know little about anything else. To get more information you would have to make more runs at different throttle settings. Lower throttle settings will show less torque and power, but the A/F ratios might be interesting. The images seem to have vanished, but from memory it seems the A/F ratio stayed pretty constant. That would tell me the air filter isn't too restricted, or else the mixture would have gone richer as the engine speed increased.

It would be nice to have access to a load dynamometer instead of an inertial one (Dynojet). Then you could pick an engine speed of interest, vary the throttle setting (and the dyno load to hold the speed steady) and see what the A/F ratio did at various throttle settings.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #18 - 08/25/09 at 12:14:12

PTRider wrote on 08/23/09 at 10:35:55:
I'd think that a fork stabilizer, if you don't already have one, would be a huge help at those speeds.

Can you pick shift points where the new rpm for each higher gear starts off at the torque peak, 3400 rpm?  I've read that this gives the fastest acceleration, but I haven't yet tired it.  If it works, please let us know.  The book says that the power peak is at 5400 rpm, and your observations are right in line with this.  

My stock 1998 Savage shifts up at around 3400-3800 rpm. You can feel the torque peak through the first 3 gears. I get a little more rpm before 4th and hit that at 3400-4000 rpm. 5th gear I can feel it after I hit 50 mph and around 3400-3800 rpm, depending on what sort of road I'm on and if I'm going up or down a hill.

My speeds and shifting are around
1st gear 0-15mph (3000 rpm)
2nd gear 15-25 mph (3400 rpm)
3rd gear 25-40 mph (3400 rpm)
4th gear 40-50/55 mph (3400-4000 rpm)
5th 50+mph (3400-4000 rmp)
After 65mph (4200 rpm) She doesn't seem to have much more to give....
and the bike is shaken like nervous hula dancer.

Fork stabilizers and re-jetting and new muffler (or just baffle?) is what I'm looking to do next.
Got to get my cash right first.
Next month or so.

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #19 - 08/25/09 at 13:25:14

Tkat $90
jet set $20
DJ straight pipe and home made baffle, priced less

Tell your girl to cook tonight, you're staying in and watching a movie on the TV.

WWW   IP Logged
cursal

Daily Savage Rider

Eugene, OR
Reply #20 - 08/25/09 at 14:55:11

Quote:
Tkat $90
jet set $20
DJ straight pipe and home made baffle, priced less

tkat http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace.html  This?
Jet set http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=savage&_kw=ls650&_kw=jet&_ckw=set&_ipg=&_trks...
what's the difference with stage I, II, or III?
As for Muffler What has the performance boost of DJ long shot, but has chrome and not a chop shop look?
I like the look of the stock muffler, big beefy...just lack of power and sound...deep and louder would be better Cool

1998 Savage, 18,700 Miles, Wind Shield, Tach, K&N Airbox Filter, Leather Bags, CYCLE-TRON II Battery, verslavy cam adjuster, Kevlar F Pads Black.
Professional Web Developer: www.OregonPublishing.com
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/25/09 at 15:00:22

get a lancer jet set, full range of jets for less