Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Power to weight ratio and other speed info (Read 317 times)
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Power to weight ratio and other speed info
08/22/09 at 18:24:23

Dynoed the Savage, about 7000 miles on the motor, double that on the odometer.  Oil was old and overfilled 10W40.  Tire pressure was normal albeit quite dry rotted.  Stock sized 140/80 tire.  NO air filter on pump 87 octane near a couple hundred feet elevation.

5 pulls, all about 26 RWHP.  Correct oil level could have given a couple more HP.

A/F ratio was in the 12s so a little rich.  I'm presuming i have stock jets.  Exhaust is stock.  New plug and valves adjusted prior to runs.

Put the bike on the scales with enough fuel to make it home 30 miles away with some still left in the tank:  341 lbs with 1 mirror, Honda turn signals, no battery box covers.

I'll post up dyno sheets soon, just an FYI.  Our dyno is quite stingy.  I get 28 RWHP on the Ninja 250 when its REALLY warmed up.

Speedo indicates 92 mph max on the streets, I will do some top speed GPS tests soon.  Dyno shoed a hair past 100 mph actual before it sounded too dangerous....HP dropped to near 20 HP at those speeds so a taller tire will be needed to pull some more mph than 90ish....unless I get some nitrous hooked up.

A.

IP Logged
jabman

England
Re: Power to weight ratio and other speed info
Reply #1 - 08/22/09 at 23:41:01

cool  make sure you post up any more info you have

93" savage, 177.5 main, 52.5 w/holes 3 turns out , middle circlip, 6" k&n round filter, Dyna muffler, TKAT brace
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 08/23/09 at 07:07:48

That shows that on the savage it's several factors, why it get's fairly quick to about 85mph and the struggles all the sudden to go faster. It's only about 30hp to begin with and at those speeds you need alot more to hit the ton. The gearing is too short so you reach the rpms where power drops significantly, and you actually need it to at least maintain maximum hp. I can tell when I accelerate hard in any gear that it doesn't help to rev it over 6,000 rpm, as it struggles above that. I can achieve better accel when I shift at 6,000. The engine if stock, doesn't like more than 6,000 rpm. Now with the appropriate mods, this might be a different thing. I still think, that with a tad of a longer top gear, it could do a little better. I changed my oil yesterday, and had a little Hwy run after and it went to 85 really quick and then it took another half a mile to reach about 93 indicated with the tach reading about 6,300 rpm, screaming like hell. But the bike didn't seem to be scary at those speeds. But it certainly seems to reach it's limits. The mirrors are buzzing so hard, that all I can see is, whether it is a semi or a car. I couldn't tell a cop behind me trying to get me for speeding. I'm not sure about going faster than 100mph on this bike, and I am not faint hearted.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #3 - 08/23/09 at 10:35:55

I'd think that a fork stabilizer, if you don't already have one, would be a huge help at those speeds.

Can you pick shift points where the new rpm for each higher gear starts off at the torque peak, 3400 rpm?  I've read that this gives the fastest acceleration, but I haven't yet tired it.  If it works, please let us know.  The book says that the power peak is at 5400 rpm, and your observations are right in line with this.

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #4 - 08/23/09 at 13:03:51

How many pounds of  torque. My guess would be we have more torque than HP.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #5 - 08/23/09 at 13:31:46

Slight correction:  After flooding my carbs and having fuel pour out of the bike, partly due to the petcock being on Prime after a fillup at the gas station I opened up the airbox to discover I had still left the old stock air filter in there, which would explain my relatively rich a/f ratio in the 12s.  I have a new one I will replace it with and redyno it to see what the a/f ratio is.  I suspect HP will go up from 26 to 28-29 because I have the oil level at the middle in the sight glass now plus a clean and new air filter usually perfoms better than one that is dirty with tons of crap wedged in the pleats!

Here are the dyno runs, which were all done in 4th gear since it is closest to a 1:1 ratio, except for the 100 mph pull which was done in 5th, just to see how high it "could" go:

You'll see that theoretically the Savage "can" go to 100 in terms of internal ratios, but the RPMS are higher than they should be and you are going past peak power!  

Correct, this bike is definately more Torque than HP which is why it feels so snappy compared to my Ninja 250.  Weight is only a little heavier than the Ninja 250 too.  I'm sure the stock head on the Savage has quite a bit of room for improvement...then again it was never designed for top end in the first place.

Also, I agree at top speed the Savage is quite stable in a straight line.  Lower center of gravity, longer wheelbase, and a little more weight, more rake....the bike really needs a 6th gear IMO!

A.

IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/23/09 at 13:34:09

PTRider, I have gone 112.7 mph on my Ninja 250 and 229.6 mph on my ZX-12R...no worries about 100 mph on the Savage for me.  My "sense of speed" is probably a little different than most riders.  I have stood on the pegs of the ZX-12R at 170-171 mph on GPS to see at what speed the ZX-12 seems to stop pulling with me barely able to hang on and my helmet choking me....just to see how much aeros play a part in terminal velocity....not to mention it was fun looking down at the fast Busa guy trying hard and still passing him.

....not that I advocate this sort of behavior, just saying...

A.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 08/23/09 at 14:21:47

shiphteey wrote on 08/23/09 at 13:34:09:
PTRider, I have gone 112.7 mph on my Ninja 250 and 229.6 mph on my ZX-12R...no worries about 100 mph on the Savage for me.  My "sense of speed" is probably a little different than most riders.  I have stood on the pegs of the ZX-12R at 170-171 mph on GPS to see at what speed the ZX-12 seems to stop pulling with me barely able to hang on and my helmet choking me....just to see how much aeros play a part in terminal velocity....not to mention it was fun looking down at the fast Busa guy trying hard and still passing him.

....not that I advocate this sort of behavior, just saying...

A.

You are fortunate that you did not go into a "Rocky the flying squirrel" imitation while doing that ... not smart dude.  

IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #8 - 08/23/09 at 16:44:53

With all due respect, you probably don't know much about what I do, how I ride, etc.  It isn't like I just decided to stand up at 170 out of the blue.  There was a progression with stability tests, braking tests, etc.  I do quite a bit of land speed racing and real world aero testing as well.  In the end you and I don't know each other well so you aren't qualified to determine whether or not what I do is 'smart'.  I routinely go over 200 mph, one could argue that isn't smart.  Suffice to say I may have more experience at 200 than many riders do at 100.

As the old saying goes, "Judge not..."

A.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/23/09 at 18:35:14

shiphteey wrote on 08/23/09 at 16:44:53:
With all due respect, you probably don't know much about what I do, how I ride, etc.  It isn't like I just decided to stand up at 170 out of the blue.  There was a progression with stability tests, braking tests, etc.  I do quite a bit of land speed racing and real world aero testing as well.  In the end you and I don't know each other well so you aren't qualified to determine whether or not what I do is 'smart'. I routinely go over 200 mph, one could argue that isn't smart.  Suffice to say I may have more experience at 200 than many riders do at 100.

As the old saying goes, "Judge not..."

A.

You make a valid point; I do not know you or your experience level and it would have been better for me to ask you about those things first, so my apology for that ommision.  
That said, when I read something like "with me barely able to hang on and my helmet choking me",  my first impression is that someone is doing something foolish.  To me, regardless of your experience level, if you are barely able to hang on then your safety is compromised at that point, which is not a good thing.
When reading your post I thought I detected a bit of "brag" from you when you were describing what you did at speed, especially about looking down at the Busa guy, and rightly or wrongly that was a type of "judgment" on my part.   Sorry if that offended you, but that was the impression I got when reading it.

I tend to live on the safe side of the line.  Part of that is my age but mostly it comes from training and experience; having spent most of my adult working life in military aviation.   I have had my share of living on the ragged edge of life and death, and choose to avoid those situations when at all possible.  With that as some background on me, that may help you understand why I wrote what I did.  Nothing personal, that's just the way I see it.

So, bottom line, please be safe.
I enjoyed seeing the dyno info you posted on your Savage, and look forward to your future posts.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #10 - 08/23/09 at 18:55:32

Amen

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
FreeSpirit
Serious Thumper

Joy is my Compass !

North Georgia
Reply #11 - 08/23/09 at 19:19:23

bill67 wrote on 08/23/09 at 18:55:32:
Amen

bill,I think you missed your calling.
A man of many talents and your timing is perfect.

2002 Suzuki Savage-Stock.Windshield,Saddle bags,Hwy Bars,Tank Bib.Custom Paint.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #12 - 08/23/09 at 19:24:20

I could stand a bit of a "clinic" in understanding those dyno posts.Not today, Im burnt..

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Charon
Serious Thumper

Harvard, NE
Reply #13 - 08/23/09 at 19:43:13

The problem I had with the dyno posts is that they did not reference engine rpm, but mph. I find it difficult to believe there would be an air/fuel ratio, but not rpm. I can understand that the dyno measures mph, since that is its "native" measurement.

I thought it interesting that once off idle speed the mixture went to about 12:1. That sort of number is considered good for maximum power. Slightly rich is usually good, and it helps engine cooling. Airplanes usually go "full rich" for takeoff for that reason. EPA measurements do not usually include wide-open throttle, so the makers can go rich enough to get good power in a region not EPA tested.

I am a little suspicious of dynojet runs, because they do not test the engine under any sort of steady-state loading. They measure only transient loading. I think more realistic testing would plot the engine's torque and power at some steady speed under different throttle settings. But that sort of testing takes a LOT longer, is more expensive, and is much harder on the engine.

Eschew obfuscation.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #14 - 08/23/09 at 20:19:38

Duane wrote on 08/23/09 at 13:03:51:
How many pounds of  torque. My guess would be we have more torque than HP.
Torque is a twisting force measured in the English system in pounds-feet (colloquially called foot-pounds).  One pound of weight hanging on a one foot long lever is one pound-foot.

Whether the torque number or the horsepower number is bigger is not a significant thing.  It tells more about the rpms the numbers are produced at than anything else.

Torque x distance ÷ time = power

In our English system of measurement, pounds-feet of torque x rpm ÷ 5252 = horsepower

5252 is a constant derived from converting the original horsepower formula, 33,000 ft-lbs per minute, into our convenient meaure with rpm.  The fact that the number for the torque value equals the number for the horsepower value at 5252 rpm is meaningless and an artifact of our English system of measure.  It is totally different if the torque is measured in metric units.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 14:39:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Power to weight ratio and other speed info

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.