Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jetting for a Supertrapp (Read 184 times)
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Jetting for a Supertrapp
08/19/09 at 16:13:27

I'm fixing to install a Supertrapp. I'm not going to run over 8 disc. Could care less about the noise and I don't want to lose any torque. I'll take torque over horsepower any day. I've removed the cover from the pilot jet and come out 3 turns. I'll probably start off with 7 disc. Would I gain anything by changing the main jet or raising the needle other than burning more gas?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Jetting for a Supertrapp
Reply #1 - 08/19/09 at 16:47:03

Assuming that you are relatively close to sea level,... and have an otherwise stock engine...
I would first recommend that you install a foam or k/n fabric air filter to get maximum benefit from the pipe...
Then, because you want to preserve torque and mileage, go one step over stock on the main and pilot, and change to 2/3 thickness on the needle jet spacer... then add or subtract muffler discs for best performance.  At sea level, you're already a tad lean with the stock bike.
Unless you are a jackrabbit,... Grin the pilot jet makes the biggest difference in gas mileage.... for every day riding, it shouldn't make more than 2 or 3 mpg difference...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
matt

da na na na na
mattman

Winter Springs, FL
Reply #2 - 08/19/09 at 17:18:11

I have a super trapp with 9 discs in it, im going to get the next size pilot, as i keep the air mixture screw out about 3 to 3-1/4 and i get lots backfire on decel

The main you might wanna go up, i did and noticed a big difference, i have dyno jets (and im about sick of them becasue they use a completly differnt way to number the jets and it confuses the hell out of me comparing them, the needle is great though. over priced?)

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #3 - 08/20/09 at 07:49:55

Midnightrider wrote on 08/19/09 at 16:13:27:
I don't want to lose any torque. I'll take torque over horsepower any day.
Just to pick a nit, you can't have one without the other.  Torque x movement ÷ time = power.  Power gets things done.

What works best is to tune the engine for the max available power at the rpms we actually run at.  The shape of the power curve can be changed with engine tuning...intake, exhaust, fuel system, cam profile, etc....and fattening the power curve at mid range rpms is actually the goal that puts smiles on the faces of most of us.  Peaky high rpm max power and flat power curve in the everyday rpm range makes for good marketing copy but not the happiest riders.

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #4 - 08/20/09 at 08:12:08

What works best is to tune the engine for the max available power at the rpms we actually run at.  The shape of the power curve can be changed with engine tuning...intake, exhaust, fuel system, cam profile, etc....and fattening the power curve at mid range rpms is actually the goal that puts smiles on the faces of most of us.  Peaky high rpm max power and flat power curve in the everyday rpm range makes for good marketing copy but not the happiest riders.
[/quote]  I've done it before but my experience has always been the more open the exhaust  the more torque I lose. Its a lot of trial and error if you're not lucky. I was planning on using the 6 to 8 disc that come with the Supertrapp. I've opened up the pilot and my exhaust has quit blueing. I must be pretty close with the stock muffler. I just wondered if someone was running a Supertrapp with 6 to 8 disc and knew the magic formula. I might eventually do as Serowbot has suggested, order a K&N and open her up. I'll probably have to order more disc. Anybody got any disc laying around they want to get rid of?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #5 - 08/20/09 at 08:58:03

Supertrapp notes the number of disks to use with stock jetting.
I'd start with that but bump up the jet anyway esp. since you note that it's blueing already, which is way lean.  A tad lean and it'll be gold.

The magic formula is to watch your plug, white lean, black rich.  You want it light grey or tan.

WWW   IP Logged
yumi

2004 Purple

gainesville, fl
Reply #6 - 08/25/09 at 20:03:35

Serowbot wrote on 08/19/09 at 16:47:03:
and change to 2/3 thickness on the needle jet spacer...

What did you use for a spacer and where can I find one? I read a post that recommended removing the entire spacer, but I'd rather try 1/3 first..

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #7 - 08/25/09 at 20:46:36

Yumi they are using tiny washers. I think they start with 3 washers.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #8 - 08/26/09 at 06:36:14

I am running 6 disks in my Supertrapp and haven't had to rejet. Mine turned blue but that is because I didn't clean it good enough before starting the bike. Read the instructions because they tell you that if you DO NOT clean the muffler, the oil will cause it to blue. As far as rejetting, it depends on where you live. Supertrapp states that one should be able to run up to 6 disks without having to rejet. Each bike will be different though.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
yumi

2004 Purple

gainesville, fl
Reply #9 - 08/26/09 at 17:11:17

Midnightrider wrote on 08/25/09 at 20:46:36:
Yumi they are using tiny washers. I think they start with 3 washers.

What size washers?

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - 08/26/09 at 18:59:44

#4 worked for me.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
flcruzr
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 08/28/09 at 20:11:47

12Bravo wrote on 08/26/09 at 06:36:14:
I am running 6 disks in my Supertrapp and haven't had to rejet. Mine turned blue but that is because I didn't clean it good enough before starting the bike. Read the instructions because they tell you that if you DO NOT clean the muffler, the oil will cause it to blue. As far as rejetting, it depends on where you live. Supertrapp states that one should be able to run up to 6 disks without having to rejet. Each bike will be different though.

Does this means that we can add a S-trapp muffler without doing anything to the bike?  

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #12 - 08/29/09 at 06:17:32

I went ahead and installed the Supertrapp with 6 disc. I've removed the brass plug in front of the idle jet. I came out 3 and 1/4 turns with the idle jet. With 6 disc the Savage is running great. Its not blueing the pipe. For now I'm going to ride. This winter I'll probably get a K&N air filter and rejet everything but while riding season is here I'm putting her in the wind. Seems to be a lot quicker with the Supertrapp.

IP Logged
12Bravo
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Mid-Missouri
Reply #13 - 08/30/09 at 19:16:56

flcruzer,

I had to adjust the air/fuel mix but haven't rejetted my carb. Per Supertrapp's instructions you shouldn't have to rejet if you use 6 or less disks. It all depends on your location and each bike will be different. You will have to adjust your air/fuel mix though. I am running 6 disks and am probably borderline on having to rejet the carb. You can try the Supertrapp with 6 disks and see how it runs, you might or might not have to rejet. Altitude, air temp, and humidity will also determine if you need to rejet or not.

No Child Should Live In Fear!!!
'Keepers of the children'
http://www.bacaworld.org

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 14:31:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Jetting for a Supertrapp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!