Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Carbs...again! (Read 491 times)
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Carbs...again!
08/19/09 at 14:08:49

I realize I'm beating this topic to death, but hopefully I'll learn something from it.

I'm completely unhappy with my seat-of-the-pants (roll-off) test for the main jet. I just don't have enough experience to be an unbiased judged.

Enough complaining, on to my real question.

I understand that a cold engine is not a valid condition under which to test a carburetor. That said, I noticed something today. It was about 70 degrees when I started my S40 this morning with the choke one notch out. It didn't idle well, so I revved* the engine and pushed the choke in. It idled smoothly with no choke, a little slow, but smooth.

*It dies if I push the choke in without a little throttle, is that normal?

I pulled into the street and attempted to cruise down to the corner at about 1/8 throttle. The engine did not like that. It surged horrible. I assume because it was too lean for the cold engine.

I had thought that at 1/8 throttle the pilot system would still have a significant effect on the mixture. I guess I'm wrong.

What I learned was my mixture is much richer at idle than at 1/8 throttle. The questions are: which is wrong and how do I fix it?

I hadn't thought my idle was too rich because the plug looked good last time I pulled it.

We don't have a "throttle cut away" so that's not something I can adjust.

I guess the next option would be to reduce the spacer from 3 washers to 2 washers.

Thoughts? Corrections? Angry letters?

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: Carbs...again!
Reply #1 - 08/19/09 at 16:35:07

Give us a reminder again....

What mods have you done?
What elevation are you?
What state?
What is your current jetting?.

What did you have for breakfast today?
and who are you again?.......... Huh

No, really,... need more info... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 08/19/09 at 17:04:56

1st start bike and keep it runnin,when it will idle (will be low) w/o choke, then do your safety check,then put on your protective gear,
now ready to mount and ride..
idle speed is 1 >1.2 K set on a fully warmed up engine..
i have a tach and an oil temp gauge sometimes it takes a few miles for er to totally warm up even on the hottest days..

some one here said "dont ask her to scream untill her throat is warm"

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 08/19/09 at 17:44:03

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/19/09 at 14:08:49:
I realize I'm beating this topic to death, but hopefully I'll learn something from it.

I'm completely unhappy with my seat-of-the-pants (roll-off) test for the main jet. I just don't have enough experience to be an unbiased judged.

Enough complaining, on to my real question.

I understand that a cold engine is not a valid condition under which to test a carburetor.  correct

That said, I noticed something today. It was about 70 degrees when I started my S40 this morning with the choke one notch out. It didn't idle well, so I revved* the engine and pushed the choke in. It idled smoothly with no choke, a little slow, but smooth.
 starting it cold, and yet it runs smoothly = too rich in pilot circuit jet and/or adjustment
*It dies if I push the choke in without a little throttle, is that normal? NO ... wierd, considering the above symptoms

I pulled into the street and attempted to cruise down to the corner at about 1/8 throttle. The engine did not like that. It surged horrible.   too rich symptom; my error, should have said too lean

I assume because it was too lean for the cold engine.

I had thought that at 1/8 throttle the pilot system would still have a significant effect on the mixture. I guess I'm wrong.  pilot circuit is idle to 1/4 throttle primarily

What I learned was my mixture is much richer at idle than at 1/8 throttle. The questions are: which is wrong and how do I fix it?

I hadn't thought my idle was too rich because the plug looked good last time I pulled it.  how long did you let it idle before pulling/checking the plug ?

We don't have a "throttle cut away" so that's not something I can adjust.

I guess the next option would be to reduce the spacer from 3 washers to 2 washers.   is the engine stock or mod'd ?  intake stock ?  exhaust is ?  2 washers are a bit on the rich side for the midrange unless your exhaust is really free flowing

Thoughts? Corrections? Angry letters?

-D. Dwarf

« Last Edit: 08/25/09 at 14:40:10 by LANCER »  
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #4 - 08/19/09 at 18:16:05

Serowbot wrote on 08/19/09 at 16:35:07:
What mods have you done?
What elevation are you?
What state?
What is your current jetting?

See signature:
Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 55 (1 turn out) / half spacer / 150
See Profile:
Rochester, NY

Elevation: 500 ft

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 08/19/09 at 18:23:23

LANCER wrote on 08/19/09 at 17:44:03:
I hadn't thought my idle was too rich because the plug looked good last time I pulled it.  how long did you let it idle before pulling/checking the plug ?
Last time I pulled the plug was after I rode home from work in the spring. I let it idle 30 seconds or so before shutting it off.

I guess the next option would be to reduce the spacer from 3 washers to 2 washers.   is the engine stock or mod'd ?  intake stock ?  exhaust is ?  2 washers are a bit on the rich side for the midrange unless your exhaust is really free flowing

See signature:
Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 55 (1 turn out) / half spacer / 150
Intake is stock.

If I have time this weekend I'll change the pilot to a 52.5 w/ holes and see how the engine likes it.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #6 - 08/19/09 at 18:24:50

My bad.... Huh

For what you've done,.. you should be in the ball park...

Never test anything in a cold engine... also don't test during unusual weather...
You want a good average for your usual riding conditions...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #7 - 08/19/09 at 19:55:08

Mine actually runs geat, but if I start it with the choke on the first notch, and then after a little while push it back in it dies too without a little throttle. It's always done that from the beginning.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #8 - 08/20/09 at 05:29:56

I pulled into the street and attempted to cruise down to the corner at about 1/8 throttle. The engine did not like that. It surged horrible.   too rich symptom

Color me confused.
Let me repeat the steps I took, perhaps there was a miss communication.
  • Start motorcycle with "choke" on first notch
  • Let idle for 30-60 seconds, notice it's not a smooth idle, rev and push choke in - idles smoothly
  • Let idle for 30-60 seconds
  • Attempt to leave, as soon as I open the throttle the engine behaves badly. I don't know the technical term. I'd describe it as a surging or hunting. RPM varied wildly.
  • Pull choke out one notch.
  • Runs better (not perfect) at 1/8 throttle, idle still rough
  • Once warm, push choke back in, runs "fine" at all throttle openings
Caveat: cold engine is not a valid test configuration

What this tells me is the engine is getting a richer mixture at 0 throttle than at 1/8 throttle. Perhaps it's too rich at idle, perhaps it's too lean at 1/8 throttle - that'll require a warm engine to identify.

Since that whole range is primarily controlled by the pilot jet and mixture screw, I'm not sure how to fix that. Or if it's something that needs fixing.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #9 - 08/20/09 at 06:32:48

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/20/09 at 05:29:56:
I pulled into the street and attempted to cruise down to the corner at about 1/8 throttle. The engine did not like that. It surged horrible.   too rich symptom

Color me confused.
Let me repeat the steps I took, perhaps there was a miss communication.
  • Start motorcycle with "choke" on first notch
  • Let idle for 30-60 seconds, notice it's not a smooth idle, rev and push choke in - idles smoothly
  • Let idle for 30-60 seconds
  • Attempt to leave, as soon as I open the throttle the engine behaves badly.  I don't know the technical term. I'd describe it as a surging or hunting. RPM varied wildly.
  • Pull choke out one notch.
  • Runs better (not perfect) at 1/8 throttle, idle still rough
  • Once warm, push choke back in, runs "fine" at all throttle openings Caveat: cold engine is not a valid test configuration

30-60 sec + 30-60 sec ... then try to go ... not enough time for engine to warm up, but as you said later; "once warm ... runs fine"  These are normal symptoms until the engine is completely warmed up

What this tells me is the engine is getting a richer mixture at 0 throttle than at 1/8 throttle. Perhaps it's too rich at idle, perhaps it's too lean at 1/8 throttle - that'll require a warm engine to identify.

Since that whole range is primarily controlled by the pilot jet and mixture screw, I'm not sure how to fix that. Or if it's something that needs fixing.

-D. Dwarf

Going down to the #52.5 pilot jet and readjusting the screw is a good step.  By far, most stock engines with a dyna type muffler, will need that pilot vs the #55.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #10 - 08/20/09 at 07:07:24

LANCER wrote on 08/20/09 at 06:32:48:
Going down to the #52.5 pilot jet and readjusting the screw is a good step.  By far, most stock engines with a dyna type muffler, will need that pilot vs the #55.  

I've tried the "Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning" several times and always end up 1 turn out with the 55 pilot. I assumed that meant it was "in range".

I'll post again after gathering more info with the smaller pilot.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #11 - 08/20/09 at 07:41:14

Hey DD,

Never realized we were so close. If ya wanna put heads together sometime drop me a line. It sounds like the 52.5 is the way to go imho also.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 08/20/09 at 07:43:40

Surging is not rich, surging is lean. Most rich issues relate to lack of power and soppy sound and soppy feel as well as black or white smoke (if you can see that from the exhaust) and smelling of gas when you try to accelerate.
Surging, misfiring etc on cruising and steady throttle is lean.
Trying to accelerate and you get a weak and lousy response that is rich.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 08/20/09 at 17:16:10

srinath wrote on 08/20/09 at 07:43:40:
Surging is not rich, surging is lean. Most rich issues relate to lack of power and soppy sound and soppy feel as well as black or white smoke (if you can see that from the exhaust) and smelling of gas when you try to accelerate.
Cool.
Srinath.

Your right dude, my brain must have been running in reverse.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #14 - 08/21/09 at 06:30:52

LANCER wrote on 08/20/09 at 17:16:10:
srinath wrote on 08/20/09 at 07:43:40:
Cool.
Srinath.

Your right dude, my brain must have been running in reverse.

So the pilot circuit is both lean and rich. Whoohoo!
That's why I haven't already moved down a pilot size.

The weather here hasn't been cooperating either.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 02:40:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carbs...again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.