Carbs...again! (Read 491 times)
MauiNancy
YaBB Newbies

Girls Ride, Too!

Maui
Re: Carbs...again!
Reply #15 - 08/21/09 at 21:37:16

Are you guys trying to confuse me????? Shocked

2006 S40 "Silver" - Lancer's kit [VM38 carb, UFO, cone air filter], Dyna muffler, battery tender jr., windshield. Just reached 13,000 mi. on this one! (This is my 2nd Savage!)
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #16 - 08/22/09 at 07:23:44

MauiNancy wrote on 08/21/09 at 21:37:16:
Are you guys trying to confuse me????? Shocked

Not intentionally.

The PO started making carburetor adjustments (55 pilot, 155 main, Dyna muffler), but didn't finish the job (didn't adjust idle mixture screw, didn't reduce white spacer, muffler leaked).

I'm reading a book on carburetor theory and trying to get my S40 adjusted as close as possible. Unfortunately, I'm a new rider and don't have the 'feel' for what's right/wrong.

For example when doing the roll-off tests, I snap open the throttle from about 1/2 to WOT to start. The bike accelerates, but engine makes a really different sound. It's a sort of deep, throaty, "slower" sound. I don't know what that means.

Another example is when I went back to the 145 main. I could tell there was no difference in acceleration between 3/4 and WOT. It pulled exactly the same, but I could not feel the extra acceleration the roll-off test should have generated for a too small main jet.

With the 150 main, I can at least tell the difference between 3/4 and WOT. I suspect 152.5 would be better, but I don't have the evidence.

Back to the topic on hand. I reduced the white spacer to 3 washers (54%) because I had surging at 1/4 throttle. I haven't changed the pilot jet because I thought it was pretty happy with the screw 1 turn out. I wanted to put a tach on to verify, but the clamp won't fit under the gas tank with the stock petcock. Which leaves me attempting to tune the pilot by feel, which I have no experience in.

Anyways, enough rambling.

MauiNancy if you've got a particular question or confusion, please post it. I'd rather be proven wrong than continue to confound.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #17 - 08/22/09 at 10:51:04

Could this be a mechanical problem?... Are the needle jet spacers on top of the c-clip?... and is the slide working smoothly?.... Is the big spring in place under the top cap?.... Does the main jet have the brass washer under it?...
Also check that your vac line isn't leaking, and the manifold boot has no cracks...

Just asking because, when jetting changes don't give predictable results, it's sometimes because of an assembly error...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #18 - 08/22/09 at 11:46:54

Serowbot wrote on 08/22/09 at 10:51:04:
Could this be a mechanical problem?
Could be.

... Are the needle jet spacers on top of the c-clip?
Yes.

... and is the slide working smoothly?
I believe so. It slid in easily enough. I did not clean it when I had it apart.

... Is the big spring in place under the top cap?
Yes.

... Does the main jet have the brass washer under it?
Yes.

... Also check that your vac line isn't leaking, and the manifold boot has no cracks
They appear to be OK. I did bang on the carb while it was still attached the first time I attempted to get the OEM screws off the top. So something may have loosened or cracked.

Just asking because, when jetting changes don't give predictable results, it's sometimes because of an assembly error...
It could be giving predictable results and they don't meet my expectations. As I've mentioned before, I have no experience with motors before this, so I'm learning as I'm testing. There is a good possiblity there is a screw loose between the handlebars and seat.  Grin

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
texsam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #19 - 08/22/09 at 12:01:09

i got a problem with my dads bike, he has a honda shadow spirit vt 750  do you guys know where i can get info on this carb for tuning the mixture screw/screws?????i can't even find it

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #20 - 08/22/09 at 13:25:00

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/21/09 at 06:30:52:
LANCER wrote on 08/20/09 at 17:16:10:
srinath wrote on 08/20/09 at 07:43:40:
Surging is not rich, surging is lean. Most rich issues relate to lack of power and soppy sound and soppy feel as well as black or white smoke (if you can see that from the exhaust) and smelling of gas when you try to accelerate.
Surging, misfiring etc on cruising and steady throttle is lean.
Trying to accelerate and you get a weak and lousy response that is rich.
Cool.
Srinath.

Your right dude, my brain must have been running in reverse.

So the pilot circuit is both lean and rich. Whoohoo!
That's why I haven't already moved down a pilot size.

The weather here hasn't been cooperating either.

-D. Dwarf

No we didn't say it was rich and lean ... I think Lancer agrees, but we are saying its lean.
However you really need to modify your method of test running it.
Precise throttle position and correct symptoms will get you far better diagnosis.
BTW this carb is so simple I will jet it in my sleep to run like a swiss watch. That would also be lancer's thought I am sure.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #21 - 08/23/09 at 08:28:21

srinath wrote on 08/22/09 at 13:25:00:
DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/21/09 at 06:30:52:
LANCER wrote on 08/20/09 at 17:16:10:
srinath wrote on 08/20/09 at 07:43:40:
Surging is not rich, surging is lean. Most rich issues relate to lack of power and soppy sound and soppy feel as well as black or white smoke (if you can see that from the exhaust) and smelling of gas when you try to accelerate.
Surging, misfiring etc on cruising and steady throttle is lean.
Trying to accelerate and you get a weak and lousy response that is rich.
Cool.
Srinath.

Your right dude, my brain must have been running in reverse.

So the pilot circuit is both lean and rich. Whoohoo!
That's why I haven't already moved down a pilot size.

The weather here hasn't been cooperating either.

-D. Dwarf

No we didn't say it was rich and lean ... I think Lancer agrees, but we are saying its lean.
However you really need to modify your method of test running it.
Precise throttle position and correct symptoms will get you far better diagnosis.
BTW this carb is so simple I will jet it in my sleep to run like a swiss watch. That would also be lancer's thought I am sure.
Cool.
Srinath.

If it's lean, why would I want to go down a jet size?

Maybe I should start over.
I bought the S40 with 55 pilot (brass cap still over screw), full spacer, 155 main, Dyna muffler that leaked, and noticeable surging between 1/8 and 1/4 throttle.

I've adjusted the idle mixture screw by following "Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning". Although I didn't turn up the idle speed when adjusting the screw. Perhaps that was a mistake.
I wanted to use a tach for this but the pickup on the Harbor Freight special won't fit under the tank with stock petcock and fuel/vacuum lines.

To fix the surging I removed the white spacer. I've since put 3 washers in (1.5mm vs 2.8mm) because of extremely bad gas mileage.

I've toyed with 145, 150, 152.5 and 155 main. I know 145 is too small, but I've been unsuccessful in testing the other three. I'll keep trying.

I have not checked the float level.
I have not replaced any of the air jets or the needle.
I have read Haynes Motorcycle Fuel Systems Techbook.
I do not have much experience with engines or carburetors.

What started this thread is the requirement of a cold engine for a richer mixture. A cold engine doesn't allow you to determine the correct jetting for a warm engine, but it will respond badly to circuits that tend toward lean.

The fact that the cold engine idled better without enrichment, but ran (1/8-1/4 throttle) better with enrichment says that the mixture delivered to the engine is richer at closed throttle than slightly open throttle. Whether either mixture is too lean or too rich for a warm engine is unknown. It may be perfectly normal.

I'm doing this because I'm genuinely interested in not only riding my motorcycle, but understanding how it works and what I can do to make it run as well as it can.

I'm looking at the Techbook and it shows one circuit for idle:
  • pilot jet + pilot air jet
It shows three overlapping circuits between 1/8 and 1/4:
  • pilot jet + pilot air jet
  • air slide cutaway
  • top part of needle + needle jet + air jet
We don't have an air slide cutaway. I've never seen a suggestion to replace the pilot air jet, needle, needle jet, or air jet. That leaves pilot jet, mixture screw, and needle height as the available adjustments for these throttle ranges.

My understanding is that the pilot jet feeds multiple outlet holes. One of which is metered by the adjustment screw. The rest of which are brought into play by opening the throttle slightly. Opening the throttle slightly also brings the needle and needle jet into play, but only slightly because the thickest part of the needle is still in the jet.

Theoretically:
If I wanted to make idle leaner and 1/8 to 1/4 throttle richer at the same time, how would I accomplish that?

And now for something completely different...

The Techbook indicates that the lift of the piston valve (slide) at WOT is proportional to the engine RPM.

This means that at WOT and low to mid RPMs that the needle and needle jet are the limiting factor.

Which brings me to back to question the Roll-Off testing procedure.

Is the intention of the Roll-Off test to experience the transition from the piston valve (slide) at it's fully lifted position to a slightly lower position?

I apologize for how long and random this has become. The theory posted by Diamond Jim, his "Progressive Jetting Guide", and reading the Techbook have got me thinking about how the engine works and what the difference is between running and running well.

diamond jim wrote on 06/04/09 at 10:39:39:
Hypothesis- I think the common spacer mod- thinning the spacer or replacing the spacer with a couple of washers- still leaves a too lean midrange that we often compensate for by over-jetting the main and sometimes the pilot.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #22 - 08/23/09 at 10:28:14

This is your startng point.

I bought the S40 with 55 pilot (brass cap still over screw), full spacer, 155 main, Dyna muffler that leaked, and noticeable surging between 1/8 and 1/4 throttle.

Get back to that spot.
Then, make these runs.

1/8th to 1/4 throttle is a good range, but how is it at take off. You have to use excessive throttle or it will stall = too large pilot.

You can take off with relatively low throttle but it will idle high when hot, much higher than when cold = lean on pilot or air screw.

Idle is fine when cold but when hot, and the bike is revved sitting still @ idle and it will rev up, and drop below the idle rpm and then come back to the idle rpm, or even stall = rich on mix screw.

You can easily be rich on 1 and lean in the other in that range also ... so we need to isolate it properly and make a small change and observe it before making the next change.

If your problem does not follow any of these above -

Put a washer under the needle. Test it thoroughly after this, not just 1/8th -1/4, but all the way to 3/4 throttle. needle is more effective 1/2 to 3/4 ... so fixing it for the 1/8th-1/4 can easily toss it into too rich higher up.

If your throttle as it is opened the bike hesitates a wee bit, the float is a shade high. This actually applies across most of the rpm range
If you lean surge across a wide range if rpm - like from 1/8th to 3/4 throttle, your float level is too low.

AKA if your problem is everywhere its float ... or if all else fails its the float.

Bad gas mileage suggests its the float, and its high. Or atleast its high but the 1/8th to1/4 is so lean its still lean surging.

The slide cutaway is garbage, it will not do much on a savage. Its so slow revving ... leave it alone, whatever any one tells you, do not modify that.

Idle leaner and 1/8th-1/4 richer = in on air screw and up on pilot.

Yea white spacer mod is a bandaid ... compensating with other areas can work OK ... but could also give up and make it horrible all over.

Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #23 - 08/23/09 at 11:36:34

srinath wrote on 08/23/09 at 10:28:14:
This is your startng point.

Get back to that spot.
Really?
I'd expected you to tell me to return it to stock.
I know 55/full spacer/155 causes lean surging at small throttle openings. Returning the carburetor to a known bad configuration doesn't seem productive.

Weather is not cooperating today. I'll test tomorrow.

1/8th to 1/4 throttle is a good range, but how is it at take off. You have to use excessive throttle or it will stall = too large pilot.
I do have to give it some throttle before I let out the clutch. I'll make note of the exact amount tomorrow.

You can take off with relatively low throttle but it will idle high when hot, much higher than when cold = lean on pilot or air screw.
It idles higher when hot, but I wouldn't describe it as "much higher".

Idle is fine when cold but when hot, and the bike is revved sitting still @ idle and it will rev up, and drop below the idle rpm and then come back to the idle rpm, or even stall = rich on mix screw.
I've purposely done this a few times. I've never noticed the RPMs dip or hang when returning to idle.

Put a washer under the needle. Test it thoroughly after this, not just 1/8th -1/4, but all the way to 3/4 throttle. needle is more effective 1/2 to 3/4 ... so fixing it for the 1/8th-1/4 can easily toss it into too rich higher up.
Does this sound like a good way to test this:
Quote:
To evaluate the needle/needle-jet performance, run the motorcycle in second or third gear. Roll the throttle on from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle only. The engine should accelerate cleanly without sputtering or bogging.

Srinath,
Thanks for the specific tasks. I'll post results with my current jetting tomorrow (probably in the morning, if I'm not late for work).

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #24 - 08/24/09 at 06:32:39

I performed Lancer's Straight & Simple Carb Tuning this morning.
65 degrees F, 90% humidity, 450 ft above sea level

With the engine warm and the RPM turned up:
- bottomed out without engine slowing
- engine slowed about 2 turns out

With the engine warm and the RPM at normal idle:
- engine slowed before bottoming out
- engine slowed about 2 turns out

I noticed no difference from 0.75 to 1.25 turns.

1/8th to 1/4 throttle is a good range, but how is it at take off. You have to use excessive throttle or it will stall = too large pilot

About 2mm of throttle after the slack is taken up. Way less than 1/8 throttle.

I've got some clear tubing, I'll check the fuel level in the bowl tonight.

I didn't get to testing 1/4-3/4 throttle.

Does anyone know the answer to my question about the Roll-Off Test?

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/23/09 at 08:28:21:
Which brings me to back to question the Roll-Off testing procedure.

Is the intention of the Roll-Off test to experience the transition from the piston valve (slide) at it's fully lifted position to a slightly lower position?

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #25 - 08/24/09 at 08:07:00

I have not read lancer's tuning guide.
The 2 turns sounds like its right.
However I would still try the other ones I mentioned.
Or,
Washers under needle are easily reversible. Try 1 under it and see what it does.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #26 - 08/24/09 at 18:13:54

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/24/09 at 06:32:39:
I've got some clear tubing, I'll check the fuel level in the bowl tonight.

That was a miserable failure. I measured the carb drain to be a hair over 1/4 inch OD, so I bought some 1/4 ID tubing.

I managed to leak gas all over the towel I put down "just in case".

No time to grab a ruler, I eye-balled it around the level of screw head. That puts it 5-6 mm below the gasket.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #27 - 08/24/09 at 18:16:36

Bike gotta be level too, side and front to back.
You need to be at the gasket face ... +/- 1mm or heck, 1/2 mm.
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #28 - 08/24/09 at 18:22:39

srinath wrote on 08/24/09 at 18:16:36:
Bike gotta be level too, side and front to back.
You need to be at the gasket face ... +/- 1mm or heck, 1/2 mm.
Cool.
Srinath.

I got the level part right. Just leaked everywhere. Even with a clamp. I'll try again later in the week.

-D. Dwarf

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #29 - 08/24/09 at 19:21:40

Rolling off at full throttle before you reach top rpm's, will momentarily richen the mix... by reducing air intake flow with the throttle valve... if this gives a momentary increase in acceleration before dropping,.. you are lean on the main.  Go a step up.
If you just feel a slight decrease in acceleration, you don't need a bigger main.

Go incrementally smaller on the main until you feel that slight power increase during the roll off,... at that point, you are lean, then go one jet size higher to correct size main.

I would recommend setting your needle jet spacer to 2/3rds of stock ( It will measure .066",... stock is .1"...)  then once you get the jet sizes straitened out, tweak the spacers for best, seat of the pants, acceleration.

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 04:22:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Carbs...again!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.