Rode a Sporty! (Read 515 times)
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Rode a Sporty!
08/18/09 at 15:00:58

So one of the guys from my synagogue is getting back into riding and hears of a great deal on an '07 or '08 Harley Sportster 883 with under 3000 miles on it.  He doesn't feel comfortable riding it from Illinois himself, so I offer my services.  Since loading it on a trailer was too much like work, I got to ride it home for him.

We drove out to the soon to be previous owner's house in Les's truck.  One guy in a moderately dented beater nearly cut us off, but he was just checking out the stickers and showing us his!  I have to admit that Marines are a whole lot more sociable about acknowledging the USMC stickers on each others cars than us Air Force-ers!

Back to the bike -- it really was as advertised.  Great condition, low miles.  Only problem was that it needed a good wash, wax and chrome polishing!  It started right up, once I was shown where the starter button was and how the turn signals worked.  Aside from some trepidation about taking my buddy's new bike for a spin on a gravel road, the ride was flawless.  It's a bit of a torque monster, definitely has that heavyweight feel, but rode just fine.  I enjoyed the ride, something I cannot say about the Victory V-twins I've tested.

I have to admit that the Harley idle makes this one of the most fun bikes to sit on when it's not actually going anywhere!

We made a stop at the BMW dealer's for a Missouri license inspection and so Les could get some riding gear.  Now he has a hi-viz jacket and some summer gloves.  He'll be taking the MSC course next weekend.  I suspect he'll do just fine -- he used to have a Honda Saber years ago.

I don't think I can convert him to "Savagery", but it's always nice to get a new riding partner!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: Rode a Sporty!
Reply #1 - 08/18/09 at 17:54:04

sounds awesome! always good 2 help someone!

my friends ride sport bikes, touring, street fighters, dual sports, choppers whatever, i've heard it a couple times...it doesn't matter WHAT u ride it's THAT u ride!

and when everything rattles off the harley put him in for a nice savage =]

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 08/19/09 at 03:50:37

I love the 883 Sportsters m'self ... Classic Americana for sure ... my only problem with 'em is that they weigh too gawddarned much ... but then, I am a puney guy with a bad back ...

Have always said that the S40/Savage is the only Bike that I've come across that is close to the Sportster in style and "character"! Cool

Now, if H.D. would only make a 650-700cc Sportster-styled Bike that weighed in at no more than 400lbs ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LostArtist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 08/19/09 at 16:30:13

love the sportsters, got a budget problem though so, no sportsters for me, yet, also the repair cost make me think twice about them too, but I hear new harleys are much better

IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #4 - 08/19/09 at 16:46:23

I have sat on the 883's and loved the feel. I was tempted to go for the 883 instead of the S-40.. Just happened to go to the Suzuki dealership first.
I am in love with my S-40 and don't regret the deal I made for it.
Smiley
Again as someone has already said. It is not what you ride as it is that you ride....

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #5 - 08/19/09 at 18:28:09

I like the 883 but it really feels top heavy,Which I don't like.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 08/19/09 at 18:40:29

i paid 1700 bucks(not including dealer fees) for my '95 savage, new tires, battery, oil everything!

a '95 sportster was no less then 5000 for nothing new on it....ridiculous! with high miles even!

screw it, rather be original  Tongue

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
tomtaz1975
YaBB Newbies

Let's Ride!

Milwaukee, WI
Reply #7 - 08/19/09 at 19:00:38

Sporty's are nice, but if you ever do get one, go for the 1200.  Same weight (actually 2-3 lbs less), more power.  Best power/weight ratio of the Harley line-up.

2001, Yellow, Dunstall Megaphone Long, 155 Main, 55 Pilot, no spacer, K&N Filter.
  IP Logged
gerald.hughes
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

FSO

Tucson, Az
Reply #8 - 08/19/09 at 19:04:48

PerrydaSavage wrote on 08/19/09 at 03:50:37:
I love the 883 Sportsters m'self ... Classic Americana for sure ... my only problem with 'em is that they weigh too gawddarned much ... but then, I am a puney guy with a bad back ...

Have always said that the S40/Savage is the only Bike that I've come across that is close to the Sportster in style and "character"! Cool

Now, if H.D. would only make a 650-700cc Sportster-styled Bike that weighed in at no more than 400lbs ...

They did.  It was called the Buell Blast.

IP Logged
MauiNancy
YaBB Newbies

Girls Ride, Too!

Maui
Reply #9 - 08/19/09 at 19:22:28

tomtaz1975 wrote on 08/19/09 at 19:00:38:
Sporty's are nice, but if you ever do get one, go for the 1200.  Same weight (actually 2-3 lbs less), more power.  Best power/weight ratio of the Harley line-up.

I agree! Also, us short-legged people can put their feet flat on the ground!
But I love my S40...........

2006 S40 "Silver" - Lancer's kit [VM38 carb, UFO, cone air filter], Dyna muffler, battery tender jr., windshield. Just reached 13,000 mi. on this one! (This is my 2nd Savage!)
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #10 - 08/20/09 at 03:24:43

gerald.hughes wrote on 08/19/09 at 19:04:48:
They did.  It was called the Buell Blast.

Hmmmm??? Yes, Buell Blast is a Harley product, but is a 500cc single, not a 650-700cc V-twin and it doesn't have the Classic American Roadbike stylings of the Sportster (which our LS650's resemble) ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #11 - 08/20/09 at 04:00:23

I liked my '99 sporty 883; it rode very well and the power was ok; not fast but smooth running.  However, one thing that I did not like was the weight of it.  It was too heavy to move around.  I do not have a flat concrete driveway or garage; I live on uneven ground; constantly need to push/move a bike up and down sloping ground and the weight of the sporty ... basically 2x what a Savage weighs ... was just too much to handle.   I also much prefer the ease of handling and responsiveness of the Savage on the road compared to the slow moving sporty.
It is just too heavy.
I am now back to 2 Savages; my original '96 and now an '87 parts bike that will be brought back to life over time.

IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #12 - 08/20/09 at 04:57:16

Yeah, I guess the Savage does look a little like the Sporty:

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #13 - 08/20/09 at 08:42:37

drharveys - FSO wrote on 08/20/09 at 04:57:16:
Yeah, I guess the Savage does look a little like the Sporty:

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e204/drharveys/Suzuki/DSC02289.jpg

I wish our front wheel could look like that sportys!
Anyone ever measured one like that?

VHFKID

IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #14 - 08/20/09 at 08:48:17

That's a good looking bike. If I had the money that's what I would like to have. But as far as being practical and serving my needs (short trips at 55 mph) the Savage was the perfect fit. If I was going to ride interstate travel or distance I'd really like a Sporty. In town with traffic you can't beat the simple Savage.

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 08:26:13

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rode a Sporty!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.