Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ethanol (Read 104 times)
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
ethanol
08/18/09 at 12:19:12

I filled up at a station yesterday and the pump said that the gas was 10% ethanol. Any problems using this gas? My imagination is running rampant and I think my engine is running rough.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Re: ethanol
Reply #1 - 08/18/09 at 12:24:08

Some bikes handle it better than others, I personally don't use it in my bike.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #2 - 08/18/09 at 12:28:54

I haven't been able to find any place in Western New York that doesn't have at least some in it. All of our vehicles are still operable. It's not preferable, of course, but what can ya do? I add some Chevron Techron once in a while to spice things up and keep things clean.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #3 - 08/18/09 at 12:40:05

Thanks for the info. That station is over the county line in western NY. I'll just plan to fill up elsewhere. I will probably try that Chevron stuff. Available at NAPA, etc?

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #4 - 08/18/09 at 13:48:28

Just throw some fuel treatment in it. That's what I do. I use STP Fuel treatment.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #5 - 08/18/09 at 13:59:45

Yeah, it's available at most automotive stores. There's research and blah blah yadda about it but imho (I'm no expert) Chevron Techron is the best. It's also not cheap (5-7 a bottle. A bottle lasts me all summer, though). I use a capful every now and then on a cleaner engine to keep it decent, and a few capfuls on a dirty carb that's running 'alright' to get it a little better. Best to put it in in my experience when the tank is low then adding fresh gas on top.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 08/18/09 at 16:09:31

The e10 won't hurt these bikes in the least (not a fan of ethanol by the way) it 's all that is for sale around any major city here - might losen some out of the tank I guess - but don't pour the e85 in it

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #7 - 08/18/09 at 17:20:50

My brother went on a trip out west,some place only had 70-30 gas with the 30% being corn oil,He ask at the station and they said it wouldn't hurt,He say he had less power and less gas mileage.That was on a Gold Wing.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #8 - 08/18/09 at 17:23:22

For a couple of months I couldn't get 100% gasoline,I can again now and it 87 octane before I had to get the high price 93 octane to get the 100% gas.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #9 - 08/19/09 at 02:24:19

Reelthing wrote on 08/18/09 at 16:09:31:
The e10 won't hurt these bikes in the least (not a fan of ethanol by the way) it 's all that is for sale around any major city here - might losen some out of the tank I guess - but don't pour the e85 in it

Really glad to hear that!  Most of the stations around here sell the e10 now, and if I remember right, Portland was going to make it mandatory for them to sell it. Roll Eyes

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/19/09 at 05:05:32

With previous 55 / 150, stock muffler/air I had no problems but clearly got less gas mileage on 10%.  Popped a dyna muffler on last night and still runs fine on 10%, but I'm lean on the main jet.  And no problem running, just lean a little.

So the engine seems relatively insensitive.  The only problem I had was running some high test (was heading higher) from a small gas station, and that was probably old gas.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 04:41:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › ethanol

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!