Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
muffler and air intake ? (Read 312 times)
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
muffler and air intake ?
08/18/09 at 08:10:32

lurkin on ebay now and i bought lancer's jet kit!!! SWEEEET!

so now i'm looking for the harley muffler, is it the slip on stock sportster muffler? i can't find any for cheaper then 40 bucks....i guess shippin is gonna kill me! maybe i'll call a friend and see what they have. ALSO what year does the harley have to be? does it matter?

AND i was looking for the oldfeller intake mod and was wondering what it was. anybody got the link? i couldn't find it. i know i know, i ask alot of questions  Shocked

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Re: muffler and air intake ?
Reply #1 - 08/18/09 at 08:12:30

oh i 4got to ask...are there 2 mufflers on the harley? because i only need one. if i get a pair does someone want the other one? if i figure out the payment works for the marketplace i might put up my sissy bar, chrome rails and muffler guard on there.....

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
BurnPgh
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #2 - 08/18/09 at 11:03:51

sportster and dyna exhausts will work as long as they dont have a crossover port. Most likely you'll find them in pairs since, yes, harleys have two pipes usually. You can also look for aftermarket pipes intended for harley sportsters and dynas. I got a single SE slashcut for a dyna for $25. Might also head to your local harley dealer and ask if they've got any extras. They usually do. If they ask why you need just one just sigh with exasperation and say "its a long story". Might get it for free.

The oldfeller intake is simple. i think its in the Tech section. Basically you rip the paper air filter from its housing and replace it with "NuFoam". You can get it at walmart or joanne fabrics. Sew it lightly , about 2 inches thick, to the screen on the air filter housing and spray it down with pure canola oil.

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/18/09 at 11:13:33

Go ahead and buy two..... Mine burnt out after 18k anyway..... didn't have to hunt down another..... Wink

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #4 - 08/18/09 at 12:17:33

ok cool! then i'll see if the local harldy shop has any! or if i can find a friend who replaced theirs!

really? nu foam huh? weird! and that increases horses? lol

and serowbot do u mean 2 mufflers or 2 filters? lol

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #5 - 08/18/09 at 12:21:38

mufflers.... Sportster,.. they're actually very well built, but I blew it out anyway..... Huh

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 08/18/09 at 12:25:21

ok! needed clarification! did it look nasty when it blew out? cuz i'd like to paint it blacke when i get it, but if i can make it explode looking i'd be happy too!!  Shocked

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #7 - 08/18/09 at 12:45:12

Naw,... it just blew the baffle plate out,... got way too loud...

lost all backpressure...

IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 08/18/09 at 13:22:56

There have been members who bought HD mufflers where the brackets did not line up to their Savage, among other fit issues.  This has been an ongoing problem and there have been many posts about it.  Some have had to weld pipe adapters to their HD mufflers, some have welded the muffler right to the Savage header pipe because of leaks, some have had to weld or cut the HD bracket to fit the Savage frame.  But some, like me, got the right HD muffler which was an easy bolt up, with no alterations or leaks.  The numbers on my HD muffler are:  64941-01.  I don't know if this is enough to help you find the right model muffler, and I don't know what type of HD my muffler came off of.  

One thing I did encounter was that my HD muffler would not slide fully forward onto my Savage header pipe.  It stops short  exactly 5/16" of the collar that is welded to the Savage pipe.  But it has made no difference and never leaked.

Don't use the Savage clamp....members have complained of leaks.  Use a HD clamp.  Also,the Savage heat shield bolts right over the HD muffler.

From all the posts that have complained of fit problems, it seems that there may be many variations of HD mufflers, so be sure you buy the right one.  A lot of members thought they did, only to end up having to weld or cut them to fit.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #9 - 08/18/09 at 13:24:31

crap! i was just about to ask how difficult the fit was. my friend got one for free but i haven't seen it yet, gonna pick it up 2nite. hopefully it isn't too bad.

IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 08/18/09 at 20:31:53

i just got the muffler, the number on the side 65605-9, haven't tried to put it on yet, that'll be 2morrow.

i don't see a plate like that in mine, it's just open all the way through, is that normal? looking down the pipe i can see to the other end. is it supposed to be completely empty?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #11 - 08/18/09 at 23:37:21

Nope, the baffle's gone... see my PM... Wink

IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #12 - 08/19/09 at 02:02:57

Rocco wrote on 08/18/09 at 20:31:53:
i just got the muffler, the number on the side 65605-9, haven't tried to put it on yet, that'll be 2morrow.

i don't see a plate like that in mine, it's just open all the way through, is that normal? looking down the pipe i can see to the other end. is it supposed to be completely empty?

Someone may have knocked the baffle out with a hammer and long dowel, I think a lot of Harley riders do that for the "more noise" effect. Roll Eyes
I put a used slash cut on mine, like the Screamin' Eagle, only generic since there's not an identifying mark on it. Grin  While a lot of people make theirs work just bolting straight up, I put in an extension with a few degrees bend in it, which did 3 things:  the added length gave me some leeway to line the mounting holes on the muffler up with the bracket, the angle made it miss the brake arm, and also line up with the bracket on the bike.  If you look at the stock muffler when you take it off, it has a bend built into it right at the inlet.  Plus, I took the muffler and header in when I had them make it, and they spread/shrunk the ends to fit snug on both pieces.  A little muffler goop, and some heavy duty U-clamps, and voila! Cheesy  Plus, a H-D heat shield to cover it all up, but if you're going for the Rat/Bobber look, it'd be fine without, just watch your leg!

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/19/09 at 05:22:51

Put one on last night.  Pulled the exhaust system off, cleaned the header, found no real gasket at the head.  Used some washers to angle the new muffler out a bit.  Sealed at head and header/muffler with high-temp silicone.  Sounds great, clearly gives better run-up and cleaner decel.  But I'm lean on main now.  Until this evening, at least!

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #14 - 08/19/09 at 08:34:52

anyone running the sportster without a baffle? is it that loud? i just don't want to hurt performance.....i knew it was too good to be true(i got it for free)  Angry

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 01:40:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › muffler and air intake ?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.