Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
dyna (Read 198 times)
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
dyna
08/18/09 at 07:31:55

I recently got a dyna, thanks kit, and tore off my stock muffler last night and am trying to get the dyna to seat correctly.  I searched for a post on how to install the dyna, but couldn't find much that was useful (this could be because I am either terrible at searching or the search engine sucks).  Can someone either refer me to a post on this with pictures preferably, or post up some information on what I should do to make it seat properly?  Basically, what did you use to cover the area where the muffler joins the header pipe?  Did you just use the clamp that was on the bike to secure, or buy something else to use?  Did you have a 1/2 space that you couldn't get the dyna to cover on the flanged part of the header pipe?    I can post picture later tonight if my question don't make sense.  I am doing the seat mod, dyna and turn signals tonight.  Should be fun.  I already have the dyna most of the way on.

IP Logged
twdy
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: dyna
Reply #1 - 08/18/09 at 07:41:40

i believe most people use a piece of copper around the end of the header, in order to make the pipe fit more snugly.  did your mounts end up lining up correctly?

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #2 - 08/18/09 at 07:56:47

FYI - This post should probably be in RSD.

dmike wrote on 08/18/09 at 07:31:55:
Can someone either refer me to a post on this with pictures preferably, or post up some information on what I should do to make it seat properly?

Here's a bunch of random pictures I took when doing this: Muffler Pictures

Basically, what did you use to cover the area where the muffler joins the header pipe?

COBRA HEAT SHIELD 2" 99-0165P
They have different lengths.

Did you just use the clamp that was on the bike to secure, or buy something else to use?

Harley clamp.

Did you have a 1/2 space that you couldn't get the dyna to cover on the flanged part of the header pipe?

Yes.

In the end I went with an adapter. See pics.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #3 - 08/18/09 at 08:26:48

Here is the link to my install of the muffler.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1244666206/0

I think this covers what I did pretty well.  I used the HD clamp and since I went to the muffler shop and the guy stretched and made things fit, there is no problem with leaks.

If you have more questions, let me know.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #4 - 08/18/09 at 08:55:46

twdy wrote on 08/18/09 at 07:41:40:
i believe most people use a piece of copper around the end of the header, in order to make the pipe fit more snugly.  did your mounts end up lining up correctly?

My mounts will fit with about 1/4" to spare.  If the dyna had set studs to mount from it wouldn't have worked.

Drunken Dwarf - Those pictures help a lot as well as all the other information you posted.  I didn't have a harley clamp on the pipe.  There is a clamp from the s40 I can use in the meantime until I get a larger one.  I didn't hear a leak last night when I started it up with the muffler not even clamped on, so I think I should be okay without an adapter, what do you think?  I have the same white S40, what year is yours?

Prechermike - Thanks for posting that, your heat shield really makes it look great.  I wasn't going to weld it incase I want to put a different pipe on later, but the sound seemed like what I was looking for so I might do what you did.  Is your heat sheild the same as the one drunkendwarf listed above?

Thanks all, this will hopefully go real easy now that I have this knowledge.

IP Logged
DrunkenDwarf

Morning Zombie

Seattle, WA
Reply #5 - 08/18/09 at 09:02:45

dmike wrote on 08/18/09 at 08:55:46:
Drunken Dwarf - Those pictures help a lot as well as all the other information you posted.  I didn't have a harley clamp on the pipe.  There is a clamp from the s40 I can use in the meantime until I get a larger one.  I didn't hear a leak last night when I started it up with the muffler not even clamped on, so I think I should be okay without an adapter, what do you think?  I have the same white S40, what year is yours?

I put the adapter on for 2 reasons.
1) I had a leak without it
2) I like the look of the muffler parallel to the lines of the bike

I probably could have fixed the leak with muffler sealer, but that wouldn't have solved the second issue.

So, yes. You should be find without the adapter. You may need a shim to make up the difference between the inside diameter of the Dyna (1 3/4") and the outside diameter of the header (1 5/8").

Check my sig for my ride.

-D. Dwarf

Pearl White 2007 S40; Dyna exhaust; Current jets: 52.5 w/ bleed (2 turns out) / 1.5mm (0.06") spacer / 150; raptor petcock
  IP Logged
prechermike
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Kalashna Kitty, from
Skat

Ponzer, NC
Reply #6 - 08/18/09 at 09:05:03

dmike wrote on 08/18/09 at 08:55:46:
 Is your heat sheild the same as the one drunkendwarf listed above?

Nope, mine is the heat sheild that came off of the Harley, or at least part of it.  My buddy had changed his mufflers and had the whole thing laying around, told me to get what I needed, which I gratefully did.  The shield started out looking more like a "Y", but I made it fit.

2006, HD pipe, Tkat fork brace, elkhide handgrips, gel seat w/riser, silverblue, Ed L's forward controls, Wristwatch, biblethumper650@gmail.com
prechermike   IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #7 - 08/18/09 at 10:19:57

DrunkenDwarf wrote on 08/18/09 at 09:02:45:
I put the adapter on for 2 reasons.
1) I had a leak without it
2) I like the look of the muffler parallel to the lines of the bike

I probably could have fixed the leak with muffler sealer, but that wouldn't have solved the second issue.

So, yes. You should be find without the adapter. You may need a shim to make up the difference between the inside diameter of the Dyna (1 3/4") and the outside diameter of the header (1 5/8").

Check my sig for my ride.

-D. Dwarf

If I get any leaks I am going to weld it shut.  I can just buy another header if I want to put a different pipe on later.

I found this heat shield, http://www.amazon.com/CHR-UNIV-HEAT-SHIELD-Bikers/dp/B000WK4QH6/ref=sr_1_85?i... on amazon, it is 12" and fit a 1 3/4" pipe.  I can mod it if it is too small.  It is basically the same price as the other one you listed and seems longer.

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #8 - 08/18/09 at 12:02:14

For a shim, I used some aluminum flashing from leftovers from the roof cut with tin snips. Smiley But, I'm more of a country guy than a "do it perfectly" guy. Smiley

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #9 - 08/18/09 at 13:30:06

sakara wrote on 08/18/09 at 12:02:14:
For a shim, I used some aluminum flashing from leftovers from the roof cut with tin snips. Smiley But, I'm more of a country guy than a "do it perfectly" guy. Smiley

I have some new flashing in the basement, but I am pretty sure that I got a perfect fit.  Good recommendation though.  I also have some tin from my backsplash in my kitchen that I could use.

IP Logged
dmike

Vote Blumpkin

HBG, PA
Reply #10 - 08/24/09 at 09:19:24

I got the Dyna on, ordered the heat shield from Amazon, and am extremly happy with the set up.  I first tried to attach the Dyna without taking the header off.  We took off the one bolt behind the muffler/header union area and tilted the muffler brace down and then slipped the muffler on the header and then worked like a bugger to get the bolts into the muffler brace area.  We did but found that the dyna rubbed the brake cable.  Took the muffler back off and then took the header off.  Put a 4 washer spacer between the muffler and the muffler brace so it wouldn't rub the cable any longer.  Re-attached everything and there were some back fires and a leak between on the dyna where the dyna has a space to expand at the collar where it attaches to the header.  Oh and I am using a HD clamp, 7.50 at the harley shop.  Put a piece of aluminum flashing, thanks Sakara, between the HD clamp and the muffler hoping it would fix it.  Well it still leaked but we quit there anyways.  I drove it to work today, no backfires, only a "poof" when I turned it off, and it sounds great!  I am pretty sure I don't have a spacer in because the last time I took it into the shop for service I am pretty sure they told me they took it out to help fix the backfire problem.  Oh I also turn up the idle screw too, not sure how high but I think that fixed a lot of the back firing since after I got the muffler on it was popping and backfirign a lot, and now . . . nothing.

I'll get pictures once I have the heat shield to put on.  

Thanks everyone for the help.

IP Logged
sakara
2005 No Login

Thumpalicious

Lockport, NY
Reply #11 - 08/25/09 at 08:05:06

Awesome. I actually have a John Deere tractor pipe on mine, and it sounds "unique" and only does the fart at shut down. The idle mix screw solves 90% of all backfires it seems.

Alliance Member

'86 Thumper bobber rat project.
sakara   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/19/24 at 23:30:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › dyna

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.