Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Maybe it was something I said... (Read 242 times)
LawDawg77
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin' tha
Thumper!

Mississippi
Maybe it was something I said...
08/17/09 at 16:13:37

I decided to go for a nice bike ride by myself through the county I live in. I headed out and got about 10 miles from home, coming to a stop the bike died on me.. I stopped and got it restarted no problem. I continued on another 2 or 3 miles approaching another stop sign coming down through the gears it died again. Again I stopped and got it restarted, I figured the petcock had a crack in it so I headed for home. I patted the tank and said "Thanks anyway." As I got closer to home it didn't do it again.. Sooo... I putted past my house and ended up doing almost a 100 mile ride today with out so much as a hick up. I will still have it looked at just incase, but maybe.. just maybe that gremlin bell my husband gave me knocked a couple of those suckers off my bike and gave me a fun day of riding!! Just wanted to share!!   Grin

IP Logged
mikestrikes

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Decatur, AL
Re: Maybe it was something I said...
Reply #1 - 08/17/09 at 16:21:37

Yep bikes are like women, you need to tell them sweet things and let them know they are appreciated from time to time.... or else the fun ride gets shut down !  Wink

IP Logged
Midnightrider
Serious Thumper

Alliance Member

Winston Salem, NC
Reply #2 - 08/17/09 at 16:22:06

My bike does it to. I replaced the vacuum line on the petcock and it still does it. I'll probably replace the petcock this winter but right now I'm going to continue to ride it in the prime position while riding season is here.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #3 - 08/17/09 at 16:35:35

You must be way more charming than I am.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/17/09 at 16:37:25

If you haven't already, replace the vac line, use hose clamps and check the screws on the back of the petcock.

I'd also check the vac line for gas, indicates your diaphram has a leak.

I do think either the spring wears out or the diaphram hardens.  I've had 2 that just didn't run right unless it was on reserve.  The 1st on lasted 2 years that way then started to leak.

WWW   IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #5 - 08/17/09 at 20:20:43

IDK if its fair to even think this, but Ive seen automotive fuel pumps crap out after being left idle for extended periods. I wonder about the history of some of these petcock diaphragms. Have they been allowed to just sit & get stiff? Or would the petcock be affected like an auto fuel pump?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #6 - 08/18/09 at 07:40:03

the very same thing happened to me, except she didn't start for @least 5 minutes of trying, and then she stalled while i wa warming her up the other day BUT after some harsh language she roared to life without a problem....she likes it rough i guess  Wink

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
drharveys - FSO
Serious Thumper

Greetings from San
Luis del Norte!

St Louis MO
Reply #7 - 08/18/09 at 13:41:15

Should my diaphragm petcock cause any problems I'll just do the Raptor replacement and have a three position manual as G-d intended!

Every difference of opinion is not a difference of principle. Thomas Jefferson

When I look fast, I'm not smooth and I am going slowly. And when I look slow, I am smooth and going fast. Alain Pros
  IP Logged
LawDawg77
YaBB Newbies

Thumpin' tha
Thumper!

Mississippi
Reply #8 - 08/19/09 at 05:39:02

Thanks for the advice guys! I will have it looked at and go with the raptor fitting. Seems easier in the long run than the orignal fuel valve. Will also try the seafoam in the tank.. It will be at least Monday before I can climb back on it again... It looks so lonely out there in the carport.. I think my husband's Yamaha is whispering trash talk about it's size    Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #9 - 08/19/09 at 11:04:08

I had the same problem last week. Real hot and humid here. I added a shot of dry gas and things cleared up.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
Rocco
Serious Thumper

addicted 2 riding
TcB

south florida
Reply #10 - 08/19/09 at 12:06:59

mine has also shut off while idling twice now, she's a little finicky sometimes but i love her lol

'95 bobber rat...i guess it's a "bat bike" haha flat black mostly, bare metal tank, header wrap, always a work in progress !
  IP Logged
Oldnewguy

thumpin' along!

Upstate NY
Reply #11 - 08/19/09 at 13:04:03

That's really funny. I have a Savage and my woman has a Yamaha. Just the oppisite of you guys. We do however seperate them by a wall. She keeps the Yamamma in the car garage and I keep the LS650 in the workshop. Try the dry gas, it may help.

'96 with Voyager kit, White spacer mod, K&N air filter, HD muffler, solo seat/back rest, hard saddle bags and trunk.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #12 - 08/19/09 at 14:24:48

Oldnewguy wrote on 08/19/09 at 13:04:03:
Try the dry gas, it may help.

Shaken or stirred?

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:05:11

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Maybe it was something I said...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.