Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Savage Owner with a Problem (Read 453 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: New Savage Owner with a Problem
Reply #15 - 08/16/09 at 17:33:44

Im not seeing the Sea Foam as a cure for no power. Look at the battery first. If youve been struggling with it, I bet the battery is tired or dead.
Once you get it spinning over, dont turn the throttle to start it.
Make sure the idle is high enough.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 08/16/09 at 17:52:30

Sea Foam isn't going to give it any more power but if the slide isn't  working right it will help that,And that could be the problem.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Dj12midnit
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

If you'r here and
I'm here isn't this
our time?

Lynden Wa.
Reply #17 - 08/16/09 at 17:53:14

I am thinking the idle. Needs the choke to get enough fuel then turning the throttle floods it. but then again what do I know.

http://www.suzukiownersclub.net

2006 Progressive 412-4236C, Big Crank, TKat F\B, ME880 Rear.
  IP Logged
iMc
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, TX
Reply #18 - 08/16/09 at 22:33:10

Thanks everybody for your advice, I know it's not the battery since I just bought a brand new one, charged it to 100% and installed it. I also know the carb isn't dirty and both of the diaphragms are in good shape. I'll try the sea foam in the gas. I already tried adjusting the idle, got it idling high and then low and both times when I gave it gas it still died.

Could it be that it's not getting enough air? I noticed when I put the carb back in it looks like there are two places where there should be some tubes coming out of the back of it and there's nothing there.

IP Logged
Educatedredneck
Alliance Member

Sometimes it's
better to be lucky
than good.

Hampstead, Maryland
Reply #19 - 08/16/09 at 22:39:16

Those are vent tubes, one end on the carb, and the other end is just stuck up in the main frame rail under the fuel tank.

Check your hoses from the tank, make sure everything is good.

PM Lancer for carb advice.

1997 Savage - Hard Chrome Drag Pipe, Seat Mod, 152.5 main, 1 - #4 washer, Di Hard Battery, T-Kat, 1" Drag Bar
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #20 - 08/17/09 at 00:03:22

Glad you can getrstarted, hope these guys will soon realise that.

When you rebuilt the carb, did it go back together ok?

some common errors, not seating the diaphram of the slide correctly, not tightening the jets, leaving parts out, etc.

check the float level, get a piece of clear tubing for the nipple on the bottom of the carb (good luck I don't have one) hold it up against the side of the carb, turn the petcock to prime, gas should come up to the gasket on the bowl.

Do you have an air filter?  clean?

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #21 - 08/17/09 at 03:27:15

I'm just going to guess but could there be a petcock vac leak here? Take off the vac line going to the petcock and if it has any gas in it then that would def cause the motor to choke out.

I thought choke made it run lean so it would be hot and warm up faster?

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
iMc
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, TX
Reply #22 - 08/17/09 at 10:27:52

The air filter is filthy, I'm thinking about doing the air filter nu foam + oil mod by Oldfeller2 since the PO changed the stock exhaust out for a slashcut sportster exhaust.

I took the carb apart and put it back together using the walk through by SavageWahine in the Technical Documents section, and I was very careful to put everything exactly back how I found it. So I don't think there is anything missing/messed up with the carb now. Though I didn't take apart the top diaphragm. I just left that whole thing together.

I'll check the petcock vaccuum line and see if there's gas in it. If there is what's the fix for that?

IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #23 - 08/17/09 at 11:53:54

You might just need a new line if your lucky. Other wise you might need a whole new petcock. There are a ton of posts on here about raptor 660 petcocks working just fine. Though you have to remember to turn it off and on all the time.

2K5, 1975 Sportster tank, blacked out motor, K&N cone, Much more to come later!!
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #24 - 08/17/09 at 14:25:35

iMc wrote on 08/17/09 at 10:27:52:
The air filter is filthy, I'm thinking about doing the air filter nu foam + oil mod by Oldfeller2 since the PO changed the stock exhaust out for a slashcut sportster exhaust.

I took the carb apart and put it back together using the walk through by SavageWahine in the Technical Documents section, and I was very careful to put everything exactly back how I found it. So I don't think there is anything missing/messed up with the carb now. Though I didn't take apart the top diaphragm. I just left that whole thing together.

I'll check the petcock vaccuum line and see if there's gas in it. If there is what's the fix for that?

excellent, the dirty filter will make run rich.  You can try it w/o to see if it runs leans or just blow the filter out with air til you can fix it.

excellent, SW has good instructions.  but leaving the slide uncleaned can be an issue, little bit of dirt on it and it hangs up.  If you twist the grip and get delayed response, it needs to be cleaned or sea foam it.

SA left out the manual conversion of the petcock.  cheap fix, just plug one port of the petcock and cap the carb.

WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Amusement
Serious Thumper

On this steel horse
I ride.

Omaha, NE
Reply #25 - 08/18/09 at 07:45:02

OH yeah thanks I did forget that. I haven't seen my old tank in almost a year so that didn't cross my mind.

IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Reply #26 - 08/18/09 at 19:10:57

bill67 wrote on 08/16/09 at 16:53:24:
  I would try some Sea Foam in the gas,Its a carb cleaner you can get at Walmart or auto store.

See and I just thought it was part of the bike's charm.  On colder days I couldn't get mine to start without the choke pulled out for the first minute or so.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
iMc
YaBB Newbies

San Antonio, TX
Reply #27 - 08/18/09 at 22:01:11

Checked the petcock, no fuel in the vac line. Figured out that it runs if I leave the petcock on prime, but when I give it throttle or push the choke in after I get it started it dies. The sea foam seemed to help, I was able to give it some throttle while holding the choke out. I'm going to try running the bike like that through a full tank of gas with about half a can of sea foam added to it and see how it runs after that.

Also I've gone through 5 fuses in two days. Any idea why the bike would just continually blow the same fuse?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #28 - 08/18/09 at 22:10:42

You gotta short most likely.
Figgure out what you were doing when it blows.
common places for shorts,
headlight, lota wire runs thru there.
under the tank, usually a wire gets mashed in the process of putting it back on.
under seat not so often
taillights occasionally.

I'd take the carb apart and clean island style.

WWW   IP Logged
John_D FSO
Serious Thumper

Ridin' and smilin'

Vancouver, WA
Reply #29 - 08/19/09 at 02:11:21

Savage_Amusement wrote on 08/17/09 at 03:27:15:
I'm just going to guess but could there be a petcock vac leak here? Take off the vac line going to the petcock and if it has any gas in it then that would def cause the motor to choke out.

I thought choke made it run lean so it would be hot and warm up faster?

From what I've read on here, our choke doesn't function like the ones on a car, which closes a butterfly on in intake, and cuts off partial air flow.  It's actually an enrichener which puts more gas into the airflow.  Ok all you experts out there, am I right? Huh

'07 ElectraGlide.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 08:29:15

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › New Savage Owner with a Problem

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.