Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
needin a little horsepower =] (Read 691 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: needin a little horsepower =]
Reply #15 - 08/16/09 at 14:55:19

Those screws in the carb are not good quality. Soft crappy stuff that looks like metal & sticks to a magnet, tho Im sure its just silly-putty with some metal filings in it. SO, Have the right tools. Maybe Digger will drop in & explain it, maybe Ill get it right? Dont bet on it. Yall keep me straight here..
The screwdriver tip looks like a Phillips, but is called a JIS. If there is a dot on the head of the screw, near the X, then its JIS.
A hand held impact ( About $5.00 at Harbor Freight) will drive the screwdriver firmly into the head of the screw & give it a twist & break it loose. Suggest you replace the screws with Allen heads, stainless steel. Use Never Seize going back together.
If you go for the Supertrapp, be sure to clean it very well, or the manufacturing oils will make it turn blue & the warranty wont cover that. Also, dont skimp on the High Heat Never Seize when the disks go in, or changing the number will be hell. Dont ask me how I know.

All these things are easy, technically. Tools & patience is really all thats required. The people here can & will talk you thru it. Youll grow as a mechanic & youll see your bike in a whole new light. You will feel different about yourself, as you develop a new skill set.
This bike is easily capable of running 80 & pull strong getting there. You do these things & youll love the ride.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #16 - 08/16/09 at 15:07:07

I have a drilled out stock muffler,I went to 152 main and up one jet up on low speed,Only went to 80 mph stock,because thats all I wanted to go,It was still pulling strong at 80 mph,It pulls a lot better now with the richer jets,Left the spacer stock.There is no doubt in by mine that it will do 90 mph or a little better.I don't like the allen bolts I put in, its a lot quick with the screws.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #17 - 08/16/09 at 15:54:09

its a lot quick with the screws.

Yea, Allens are slower, no doubt. I guess some Stainless Steel phillips would be allright. As long as anti-seize gets used, they wont get stuck& strip out.
Also, the allens make it easier to drop the bowl while the carb is mounted, I think. Doesnt it>?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #18 - 08/16/09 at 16:58:08

I went the rejet way first, nice improvement, a few more horses. But as always I gotta have more. Now I've done the VM carb with UFO Dial a Jet, Supertrapp exhaust, K&N filter and Lancers Cam. I'm stopping there. Mucho more horespower.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #19 - 08/16/09 at 17:00:13

No you just need a good short screwdriver,I took out the original screws that way ,but it was a new bike,I left the carb in place,You have to pretend your lifting the hole bike up when you take out a hard screw, a lot of pressure.I like the screwdriver because you can just spin it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #20 - 08/16/09 at 17:01:57

seviersavage wrote on 08/16/09 at 16:58:08:
I went the rejet way first, nice improvement, a few more horses. But as always I gotta have more. Now I've done the VM carb with UFO Dial a Jet, Supertrapp exhaust, K&N filter and Lancers Cam. I'm stopping there. Mucho more horespower.
Seviersavage

Did you every race another S40 in a high gear roll on to see how much more power it has.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #21 - 08/16/09 at 17:19:48

No,
Ya  coming down Bill?
Seriously I would like to compare it to a stock bike cause I've sorta forgotten how it was. I guess though to be fair I would have to find another rider at 240 like me. But hey a dyno run would tell huh?
Sevier

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #22 - 08/16/09 at 17:22:15

Not having that carb mounted does mean it can move. Gotta get it set up so you can get a good hold of it & get on those screws. Like Bill said, he just had a screwdriver, but many others have started with just a screwdriver & wound up with stripped out screws. I suggest you go at it to win on the first pass, instead of seeing if the cheap way works. Once the screws are boogered up, it gets harder.

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #23 - 08/16/09 at 17:35:52

Supertrapp http://www.jcmotors.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=6622 $270.

155 main jet Jets, $4

Hiflo air filter, $15.

Remove the jet needle spacer, $0.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #24 - 08/16/09 at 17:38:13

seviersavage wrote on 08/16/09 at 17:19:48:
No,
Ya  coming down Bill?
Seriously I would like to compare it to a stock bike cause I've sorta forgotten how it was. I guess though to be fair I would have to find another rider at 240 like me. But hey a dyno run would tell huh?
Sevier

My brother who I was in business with 45 years,Started driving motorcycles at the same time Both had Yamaha RD 200,I went to Suzuki he stayed with yamaha, Every time we did something we tried each other in a 40-70 mph roll on,Even when we put a windshield on so we new exactly what ever change did.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #25 - 08/16/09 at 17:40:42

PTRider wrote on 08/16/09 at 17:35:52:
Supertrapp http://www.jcmotors.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=6622 $270.

155 main jet Jets, $4

Hiflo air filter, $15.

Remove the jet needle spacer, $0.

How much faster is it on a 40-70 mph roll on than a stock S40

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #26 - 08/16/09 at 17:47:05

I have rejetted, put on a hd exhaust and high flow air filter. Still struggled to keep up with my riding pals on the slab. Did the chain conversion and am much, much happier. We rode about a hundred miles today and I had a great time. Now, they can still leave me behind, but that happens at speeds that I don't like to be on two wheels. Their rides.. HD Roadking with all the performance stuff and a beemer 1200 crotch rocket. You could say a quite diverse group! Go with the chain conversion. Read the threads. It's quite easy!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #27 - 08/16/09 at 17:49:01

Forgot to add... do the Verslavy mod for peace of mind!!!

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
srinath
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #28 - 08/16/09 at 18:06:35

seviersavage wrote on 08/16/09 at 17:19:48:
No,
Ya  coming down Bill?
Sevier

Hehe, I am pretty much 238 lb or so soaking wet ...
I have an 00 with 86 carb with a 155 main in it. Its a blast, easy 95+ indicated.
The 87 I have runs well but never run it to the 9's yet. Wont say it struggles to reach 70 though, It may struggle to reach 90 ... maybe.
The 87 somehow has a better working tranny than the 00. I think 4 speeds are right for this bike. 5 is just too many in too small a space (in terms of rpm).
Cool.
Srinath.

IP Logged
littlefights

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #29 - 08/16/09 at 19:21:35

I was poking around online looking for a jet kit, but I can only find ones that say they are for '00 bikes and above.  I've got an '86 - will those kits work?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 19:28:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › needin a little horsepower =]

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.