Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Are Motorcycle Oils Different? (Read 542 times)
PTRider

Re: Are Motorcycle Oils Different?
Reply #45 - 08/21/09 at 16:40:59

That Amsoil oil filter is a bypass element, not a full flow filter element.  A bypass filter has very high resistance to flow due to its very fine filtration.  In a bypass installation, 10% or less of the oil pump output is filtered and sent back to the sump--thus the name "bypass."  The pressure drop through the filter is too great to have any of its oil go to the bearings.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #46 - 08/21/09 at 17:05:12

pt, you don't read very well do you.

WWW   IP Logged
Gort
Ex Member

Reply #47 - 08/21/09 at 17:11:44

Inventive idea, Verslagen.  Might we have pics of the fabrication when you've completed it?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #48 - 08/21/09 at 17:20:09

certainly, it will be like something you can pay $500 now and go for it.
So far the most expensive will be the filter.

WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #49 - 08/21/09 at 17:26:14

I think you need a license to refine oil.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #50 - 08/22/09 at 02:23:28

Verslagen and I went through the thought analysis on bypass filtration and we each built a rig before coming to the reluctant conclusion that putting it in parallel with the Suzuki standard oil pump pathway to the head or to the transmission (using the oil pump itself to move the bypass flow only at higher pressure levels) was possibly not a good thing if a bypass pressure valve should stick, etc.

If Verslagen is going for the simple fool proof external oil pump idea, good for him.  I put my bypass unit away for storage, pending some brainstorm idea that made it feasible again.

Your standard oil filters will filter somewhat "finer" the longer they stay in place.  Non-metallic bits (clutch wear fibers and the like) get caught by the filter.  Aluminum bits big enough to go though the EMCO filter are too fine and too soft to do our ball bearings any damage, they just get crushed finer and finer and finer each time they get caught in the works.

Hard ferrous bits from gears, chains, etc. are the worrisome bits -- the supermagnet stops them both before and after paper filtration and it is strong enough to catch 90+% on the first pass -- do the math, all of it gets stopped within 3 trips through the filter system if you are using the large $14 super magnet.  Those of us who use the super magnets can run a syn oil for a year without damaging our bikes at all.

Syn Rotella or red cap Mobil 1 Syn oil is good for 15,000 miles easy by oil manufacturer's recommendation.  Syn Rotella (backed up with a bypass filtration system) has been oil analysis tested for over 100,000 miles by diesel truck guys and it passed their analysis for that rather abusive usage.  The oils are not going to be your failure point in running syn oil in a Savage for a one year drain interval.  

I rarely put 5,000 miles on a bike per year as I have two of them and my miles get split between them.   I run a supermagnet on my oil filters and watch the amount of sludge it collects.   There is less ferrous sludge on the magnet since I changed over to Syn Rotella, so I think less wear is going on compared to previous oils.  But this could be some sort of "break in" effect, I admit that possibility exists as well.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 01:47:45

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Are Motorcycle Oils Different?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.