Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Are Motorcycle Oils Different? (Read 542 times)
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Re: Are Motorcycle Oils Different?
Reply #30 - 08/20/09 at 07:41:37

I do have a small leak at the bottom somewhere.
One drip will come off behind the kickstand only after running.  Dry otherwise.
I'll have to check the starter, everything else is clean.

But I think most of it is going up in 80 mph smoke

WWW   IP Logged
serenity3743
Serious Thumper

Striving to better,
oft we mar what's
well

Black Mountain, NC
Reply #31 - 08/20/09 at 08:22:17

verslagen1 wrote on 08/20/09 at 07:41:37:
I do have a small leak at the bottom somewhere.
One drip will come off behind the kickstand only after running.  Dry otherwise.
I'll have to check the starter, everything else is clean.

But I think most of it is going up in 80 mph smoke

Hey, Verslagen, I think your drip is a bearing or seal behind the front pulley.  I had that one time.  It was an easy fix even when I was new to the bike.

2000 LS650P Suzuki windshield, luggage rack, saddle bag racks, k & n air filter, Dyna muffler,2/3 white spacer, do-it-myself seat. Love to ride!
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #32 - 08/20/09 at 08:37:01

Oldfeller--FSO wrote on 08/19/09 at 18:20:31:
Mobil 1 claims 5,000 miles for normal Mobil 1 and 15,000 miles for red cap "Extended".

Red cap "Extended" meets the Savage requirements for ZDDP.  So does Mobil 1 V-Twin motorcycle oil.   Note:  Mobil 1 normal car oil does not meet Savage ZDDP requirements.  

I could not see trying to run them for 15,000 miles any more than I could see shooting for 100,000 miles on a crankcase full of Rotella Synthetic.

We ain't got a car and we ain't got a 10 micron or better by-pass type oil cleaner like them diesel boys use.  Normal biker guys put about 5,000 miles a year on a bike, so synthetic oils should be good for a calender year for us,  IF ....

..... if you run a super magnet on your oil filter to get your metallic bits out of the oil

..... if you will always dump it and change it out if you have a fuel contamination issue

..... if you use enough oil to "top off" the oil occasionally to keep your additive packages refreshed.

OF I have yet to read more of your performance with the larger magent.., I remember you posting with getting it. Please refresh my memory on the performance of the smaller magnet and the larger one.

TNX
VHFKID

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #33 - 08/20/09 at 08:48:12

serenity3743 wrote on 08/20/09 at 08:22:17:
Hey, Verslagen, I think your drip is a bearing or seal behind the front pulley.  I had that one time.  It was an easy fix even when I was new to the bike.

Well, I needed to check the pulley torque anyhoo.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #34 - 08/20/09 at 15:04:30

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?num=1197231468/0

is the tech thread for the supermagnet on the oil filter.   Open this and look at the top and that will take you to the discussion thread that started it all.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #35 - 08/20/09 at 15:43:27

I've read that post, before I posted before.

I'll PM ya, as it's not really related to this thread.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #36 - 08/20/09 at 20:44:08

found the leak, it's the pass thru for the generator wires.  leaks around the boot.

WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #37 - 08/20/09 at 21:28:00

RTV around rubber grommet?  Or is it going past the wires themselves?   You know if you stop that oil leak you are going to learn that you need new rings and valve seals, right?

VHFKID, all questions are fair in love, war and during an oil war -- the super magnet original thread is referenced in the first few lines of the Tech Thread and it has all the detailed info in it on the smaller super magnet.   It would work OK, just not as "absodarnlutely completely" as the big honker super magnet will do.

Only point there is you plan to run synthetic oil for a year, you gotta deal with the ferrous metal dust that flows around in it or you may not be doing yourself a favor by keeping the oil around as long as it is technically good for.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #38 - 08/20/09 at 22:33:51

There was no RTV around the grommet, so I shoved some in there as best I could.  If that don't work I'm gonna pull it off clean it up real good, polish it, seal it, and scratch it later.

I hope it don't need rings and seals yet, only 10k on the engine so far.
I'm gonna keep using the RotSyn till I confirm the fix then change for 20w50.

WWW   IP Logged
vhfkid

Thumpin' in ETEX

East Texas
Reply #39 - 08/21/09 at 08:41:18

OF- you knew exactly where I was going. I got 3 qts. of mobil1 synth for $2.50 each (Walmart clearance) I went to 5 walmarts and only one still had them. I want to start running a syn., but was surpirsed at how much metal is not stopped by the filter. Please someone from EMGO or HIFLO make a 10 micron filter please!!! I'd love to run syn and have a great performing filter that traps ferrous and non ferrous material.

And with normal prices about $8-9/qt. of mobil1 or whatever, I don't want to send the oil away just because of the particulates. At that price point I'd just run Rotella Dino, and change oil every 1-2K or when dirty.

I'm not sold yet that the supermagnet and syn. will last a year without causing possible damage from non ferrous or other materials not caught in the filter or by the magnet.

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #40 - 08/21/09 at 09:39:36

Been working on a super filter for at home filtering similar to what the BIG boys do.  Have pump, hook ups, and external filter mount.  Just need to decide on what oil and filter.  For $23 you can get your oil analysed.

1st I'm gonna fix an oil leak, then install temp gage, an oil cooler and then log some temps.  Just wondering if all this paperwork is worth it.

WWW   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #41 - 08/21/09 at 11:18:51

The 20W-50 syn blend oil I'm using isn't down noticeably in the sight glass in 2000 miles.

I don't think there are any full flow 10 micron filters for any car, truck, or motorcycle.  Cold oil would never flow through it.  25 micron is more like it.  In any case, neither original equipment nor aftermarket filter makers usually publicize the filtering efficiency of their filter media.  OE filters are determined to be right for the engine by the engine design engineers.  Aftermarket filters are reverse engineered from the OE filters.

The main factors damaging engine oil will be either viscosity loss due to shearing of the viscosity index improvers or oxidation of the oil, mainly due to heat.  The thinning from shearing and the thickening due to oxidation do not offset each other...the oil is damaged and doesn't protect as well.  (The old fable that oil never wears out, it just gets dirty, is an old shade tree mechanic's tale.  Oil does wear out at the molecular level by oxidation due to heat and nitration...chemical change caused by blow-by... and the essential additives become depleted and damaged.  Most of the "dirt" in oil is from the breakdown of the oil and its constituents.)  If the oil is visibly in bad shape, it is way past the time it should have been changed.  Dark color alone doesn't count.  The lab test, while overkill for our small oil quantities, is the only way to really tell.

I use a niobium magnet.  These do catch iron & steel particles so small that they pass through a good filter.  These ferrous particles are abrasive, and catching them reduces long term engine wear.

IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #42 - 08/21/09 at 11:28:10

verslagen1 wrote on 08/21/09 at 09:39:36:
Been working on a super filter for at home filtering similar to what the BIG boys do.  Have pump, hook ups, and external filter mount.  Just need to decide on what oil and filter.  For $23 you can get your oil analysed.

1st I'm gonna fix an oil leak, then install temp gage, an oil cooler and then log some temps.  Just wondering if all this paperwork is worth it.

Oil cooler is just what you need 150 degrees is pretty hot for oil Roll Eyes

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #43 - 08/21/09 at 11:37:53

check out the label

WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #44 - 08/21/09 at 15:01:25

ok so here's my plan, suck the oil out the bottom with an external pump, filter it and feed it back in the fill port.  A port will be permanently placed in the drain plug and routed to a convienent location with steel tube using an air hose quick connect.  The filter will be an amsoil 2 micron bypass filter.  The oil should be as pure as the driven snow afterwards being 98% effient and removing 40% of soot smaller than 1 micron.

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 04:29:20

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Are Motorcycle Oils Different?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.