Send Topic Print
oil viewing window (Read 664 times)
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Re: oil viewing window
Reply #30 - 08/23/09 at 19:28:56

Some of the people reading these postings don't know what can be within a range and what needs to be right-on-the-money.  Answers on the forums are for everbody that reads it.

IF there was no "range" there would only be ONE line in the window. It is self evident that the amount of oil necessary in the engine is not an exact, to the ounce, thing. No car, no bike, as far as I know, not one engine out there, requires an exact amount of oil in it. Ill ship you a razor, should you need to split another hair, for someone else.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #31 - 08/23/09 at 22:12:53

23Skidoo wrote on 08/23/09 at 15:59:26:
erm.. I just wanna comment on how Diggers' garage has gotta be the most well kept garage in the world...

I hang my head in shame.....

But on the good side I'm doing my bit for the spider population.. Smiley....

Thanks for the kind words, however, I've got my share of spiders....black widows, no less.    Smiley

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #32 - 08/23/09 at 23:00:41

tripped today nearly pulled the bike down on top of me as I bent down to check the oil.  As it turned out, I had only brushed the bars.  But it would've been a funny sight.  As I knelt there, lmao, 'help, I've fallin' and I can't get up'  and could just picture it... a savage lying on it side, growing arms and legs.

WWW   IP Logged
ralfyguy
Serious Thumper

Reply #33 - 08/24/09 at 06:35:04

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/17/09 at 10:57:00:
I got that special magnet from the same place I got the magic muscles to hold that bike out in front of me. I was expecting someone to jump on that. WHY would I need that level? To do what? To see if the bike is straight up & down as I hold it out in front of me? Come onnn..

When I do that I put a magnetic level on the side of the engine, so I can tell when its straight up & down.

seriously? This follows Phelonius's post on holding the bike straight out in front of you.( Generally considered to be impossible), So, I tossed in an impossibility that I claimed to do, when I was doing HIS impossible thing.. Get it?  Maybe this is indicative of a problem. Maybe this is part of why you cant see whats wrong with the govt. Gotta be able to read between the "LInEs".

I have a small magnetic level, and I lay it flat on top of the starter. I compared it to the hand-leveling and it is spot on. This works great, and I do it like this all the time.

IP Logged
shiphteey
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #34 - 08/24/09 at 06:49:37

Just did an oil change on the Savage the other day.  It took almost exactly 1.5 Liters when fully drained out and filter changed to get the oil level right in the middle.

A.

IP Logged
Routy
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Winston Oregon
Reply #35 - 08/24/09 at 07:25:21

I'm a newbie, and apprecieate all the help I've received here,....but really now,.....if there was ever a question I would have never even thought of asking,  it would have been about an easier way to use the viewing window. Come on folks, heres how simple it really is,.......
leave a short 2x4 laying around, maybe a couple 3 of them, being as their cheap,.......then park the stand on just one of them. (note..the bike is not level, nor does it have to be)
Now get off the bike,... bend over a little,.....if you see ANY oil in the window, its good to go. If you don't see any, it mite be time to add......????..I'll let you know how much if it ever uses any !  Grin

Now this,...when I first got my 40, (no manual, dealer didn't tell me a thing, and I hadn't found this great site) I went to check the oil, but the dipstick must have broke off the filler plug !!!!! (I never had nothing but a Honda many moons ago)
Not only that, I couldn't get the starter to turn over !!! ( I had just hauled my new/used bike home, (90 mi) and couldn't even ride it. (the dealer had started it each time I was there) After messing w/ it for too long,....and by this time, very PO'd, I made that embarassing call to the dealer, only to find out that the viewing window was even there,..and that the clutch had to be engaged to close the starter circuit,...which I still can't figure out why  Roll Eyes

Rich

Rich
'07 S40 Blvd stocker, except drilled OEM exhaust and white spacer mod...1/2 (.055)
  IP Logged
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #36 - 08/24/09 at 09:31:37

Ever since the crash that crushed my shoulder and chest in June, I have not been able to check the oil in the prescribed manner. I shall have to purchase a mirror or just change oil every time I ride.
BTW Diggers garage cannot possibly be that clean.  It is obviously a photo shop thing.  I am surprised that no one else caught that.  Besides, with the bike tied like that you have to choose to work on the front half or the back half.  Unless maybe he goes outside and around the building and comes in the other door.

Phelonius

Phelonius
  IP Logged
Duane

Creatively
Maladjusted

Terra Plane
Reply #37 - 08/24/09 at 10:02:50

I belive diggers garage is legit. If I had not seem my grandpas garage I would not belive it. My grandpas garage is cleaner than my kitchen.
Shocked

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. JFK

WWW duanedaringer   IP Logged
Skid Mark
Serious Thumper

FSO

Calgary, Alberta
Reply #38 - 08/24/09 at 10:36:39

I believe Digger's gargae is legit too. Some guys have a knack for keeping a clean well organized shop. A big thumbs up to Digger!!!

I wish I was one of them. When I retire, hopefully I will have the time and resources to have a shop like that.

2008 S40 , Windshield, Sigma Cycle Computer, after market backrest & luggage rack, Tkat Fork Brace, saddlebags, 12v power supply, Garmin GPS
'09 C50SE, '09 C90
Shoulda got into this years ago
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #39 - 08/24/09 at 11:57:40

Nope, that's gotta be the "Show garage"

The working garage is 'round back.   Wink

WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #40 - 08/24/09 at 20:31:41

You guys slay me!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
False Illusion

Two digits down as
we're passin'!

Dayton/Southwest Ohio
Reply #41 - 08/26/09 at 17:50:02

Phelonius wrote on 08/24/09 at 09:31:37:
BTW Diggers garage cannot possibly be that clean.  It is obviously a photo shop thing.  I am surprised that no one else caught that.

Phelonius

I think you're on to somethin' here Phelonius! I believe this is the original photo of Diggers garage...

Wait...that's my garage.. Huh...sorry Digger!  Grin

Black '07 Boulevard S40 w/ OEM Saddlebags, Windshield, Guard, SissyBar,and Rack. Schwinn Bicycle Computer, Highway Pegs by Thumperclone, Time Piece ala the $ store...and a $5 cooler from WalMart Wink
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #42 - 08/26/09 at 17:53:55

hey..... isn't that MY garage?

oh - no it's too clean and organized   Smiley

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 19:39:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil viewing window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.