Send Topic Print
oil viewing window (Read 664 times)
Phelonius
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Re: oil viewing window
Reply #15 - 08/17/09 at 10:30:23

Stand on the starboard side of the bike.  Grasp the frame down tube in front of the engine and the frame just in front of the rear shock.
Lift the machine to eye level while holding it as near to verticle as possible.  The oil level can be easily read in this position.

Phelonius Wink Wink Wink

Phelonius
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 08/17/09 at 10:33:11

When I do that I put a magnetic level on the side of the engine, so I can tell when its straight up & down.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #17 - 08/17/09 at 10:37:27

Wow, you got a aluminum magnet?
I only have the plain iron magnet, where did you get it?

WWW   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #18 - 08/17/09 at 10:47:49

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/17/09 at 10:33:11:
When I do that I put a magnetic level on the side of the engine, so I can tell when its straight up & down.

When you're holding the bike upright, and it takes very little effort to hold it there, it's straight up & down enough.  The last 1° or 2° aren't significant.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #19 - 08/17/09 at 10:57:00

I got that special magnet from the same place I got the magic muscles to hold that bike out in front of me. I was expecting someone to jump on that. WHY would I need that level? To do what? To see if the bike is straight up & down as I hold it out in front of me? Come onnn..

seriously? This follows Phelonius's post on holding the bike straight out in front of you.( Generally considered to be impossible), So, I tossed in an impossibility that I claimed to do, when I was doing HIS impossible thing.. Get it?  Maybe this is indicative of a problem. Maybe this is part of why you cant see whats wrong with the govt. Gotta be able to read between the "LInEs".

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #20 - 08/17/09 at 10:59:34

PTRider wrote on 08/17/09 at 10:47:49:

When you're holding the bike upright, and it takes very little effort to hold it there, it's straight up & down enough.  The last 1° or 2° aren't significant.

Come on guys, Ive posted my method several times. & I am not so silly as to believe it must be exactly vertical or the engine will blow up. The line at the top is a general guideline. A little more, a little less, no biggeee..
Seriously, have I said things that would make people believe I am that stupid?

IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #21 - 08/17/09 at 11:31:25

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/17/09 at 10:57:00:
I got that special magnet from the same place I got the magic muscles to hold that bike out in front of me. I was expecting someone to jump on that. WHY would I need that level? To do what? To see if the bike is straight up & down as I hold it out in front of me? Come onnn..

seriously? This follows Phelonius's post on holding the bike straight out in front of you.( Generally considered to be impossible), So, I tossed in an impossibility that I claimed to do, when I was doing HIS impossible thing.. Get it?  Maybe this is indicative of a problem. Maybe this is part of why you cant see whats wrong with the govt. Gotta be able to read between the "LInEs".

His was more obvious and more difficult to come up with a one liner.
So don't get uptite, I spent a whole 10 seconds trying to figgure out if there's even a verticle surface on the engine.

WWW   IP Logged
youzguyz
Serious Thumper

San Antonio, Texas
Reply #22 - 08/17/09 at 11:45:56

I refuse to mention that having the front of the bike higher or lower than the back can throw off your oil level in the site window as well.
And I won't mention the use of any tires sizes other than stock.
OH CRUD.. I just mentioned those things..    Lips Sealed  Grin  Grin

2002 - Silver (Thumper)
2000 - Green (Mad Hamish)
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut between the seat and the handlebars. Make sure yours isn't too tight or too loose.
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #23 - 08/17/09 at 11:51:09

I f you lean the motorcycle toward you It don't take as much oil to get between the lines.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #24 - 08/22/09 at 21:13:04

Here's what I do when I need to do some work on the bike that requires it be level and I'm too lazy to put it on my lift or my stand:

Chock both wheels:

Attach a tie-down strap to the frame:

Secure the other end of the tie-down strap to something sturdy:

Place two pieces of of 2X4 under the kickstand:

Now, your bike is level and is not going anywhere:

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #25 - 08/23/09 at 02:13:35

If you are willing to cheat a bit and run your oil level up to the very tippy top of the window you may find that the oil will just peep over the lower edge of the window when sitting on the kickstand on a level parking lot.

This gives you an easy functional check that you can do without any gyrations.

I use the "peep over the bottom" check every time I gas up, and if I don't see it then I do the straighten it up straight and bend my back to do the real check.

And no, a little extra oil does not cause the world to stop rotating on its axis -- it does not get high enough to get up into the crank rotation and when running much of your oil is up in circulation and your crankcase level drops significantly anyway.

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
kimchris1
Serious Thumper

Pink Posse Rider...

Belfair, Washington
Reply #26 - 08/23/09 at 06:00:15

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have found that placing something under the kickstand in order to make the bike level helps me to view the oil window. I must admit while I love this bike I miss the dipstick on my Rebel..

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #27 - 08/23/09 at 06:46:27

I have a whole list of things I do.  My specific method for oil check is to use my extension mirror (only takes a sec) while I'm seated.  I get the window in view and then lean the bike until the oil is in the middle.  Then I look at the lean of the bike.  If it's not leaning, the oil is good!  I always have my mirror in my tank bag, so I can always check.  Just don't get it out if girls in skirts are hanging around, they'll get the wrong idea!

Near as I can tell, if I couldn't see the oil in the window via a mirror from the seated position I couldn't see well enough to drive.  

This really saves my knees.  I suppose those with good knees can squat down.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #28 - 08/23/09 at 10:58:59

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/17/09 at 10:59:34:
PTRider wrote on 08/17/09 at 10:47:49:

Come on guys, Ive posted my method several times. & I am not so silly as to believe it must be exactly vertical or the engine will blow up. The line at the top is a general guideline. A little more, a little less, no biggeee..
Seriously, have I said things that would make people believe I am that stupid?

Some of the people reading these postings don't know what can be within a range and what needs to be right-on-the-money.  Answers on the forums are for everbody that reads it.

IP Logged
23Skidoo

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

UK
Reply #29 - 08/23/09 at 15:59:26

erm.. I just wanna comment on how Diggers' garage has gotta be the most well kept garage in the world...

I hang my head in shame.....

But on the good side I'm doing my bit for the spider population.. Smiley

As for the original question.. It's a knack and all about balance..

As mentioned I put into 1st to be safe, Hold the front brake and from the right side pull the bike towards me whilst sitting on the floor..

If in doubt have a friend hold the handlebars from the other side..

The last thing you want is to let the bike fall over, worse over you..

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/20/24 at 20:12:48

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › oil viewing window

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.