Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Stalling when warmed up/riding. (Read 339 times)
King Kashue
YaBB Newbies

We can't stop here!

The City of the Angels
Re: Stalling when warmed up/riding.
Reply #15 - 09/05/09 at 22:57:03

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/05/09 at 09:58:40:
I looked into the "Hot Exhaust" symptom. After several hours of study I discovered it is a result of hot gasses being pumped thru it. Problem solved by keeping the key out of the ignition.

Other than that, if the header is blue, its time to jet the carb.

Yes, thank you  Angry Cheesy

The header is blued, the muffler is blued.  I expect the pipe to be that hot, but the muffler baffles should dissipate the heat more than that, or at least it seems, especially compared to both of my friend's other bikes, which have much cooler mufflers(my muffler was still a frying pan minutes later, whereas I could touch the muffler on his honda within a minute or so).

1998 Savage, Aztec Orange (so the rescue crew can find me, if I get lost at sea).
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #16 - 09/05/09 at 23:02:31

Pull the plug & have a look. I suspect white, way too white. The carb may not be delivering enough fuel. You may have a jet semi plugged off ? IDK, sounds good from here

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
dasch
Serious Thumper

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #17 - 09/06/09 at 10:23:00

[quote author=54767178747E6C776A7A1F0 link=1250121736/15#15 date=1252216623The header is blued, the muffler is blued.   [/quote]

Like a welding torch... Man, you are riding the hell out of it  Wink  Lean, it seems. As Justin said - check the plug, if white - put one size larger main jet first and test. If white again - trim the white washer a bit. Then some more. Then more...

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #18 - 09/06/09 at 12:10:57

Im wondering when this started. Did anything get changed on the bike? Has it always run so hot?
If its blue that far back, Id wonder if the exhaust valve isnt held open.
Have you adjusted the valves recently? Are you sure the decomp solenoid isnt stuck?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
King Kashue
YaBB Newbies

We can't stop here!

The City of the Angels
Reply #19 - 09/07/09 at 08:15:24

dasch wrote on 09/06/09 at 10:23:00:
Like a welding torch... Man, you are riding the hell out of it  Wink

Just got it recently, so  Tongue

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 09/06/09 at 12:10:57:
Im wondering when this started. Did anything get changed on the bike? Has it always run so hot?
If its blue that far back, Id wonder if the exhaust valve isnt held open.
Have you adjusted the valves recently? Are you sure the decomp solenoid isnt stuck?

Just got it, don't know, I haven't done the valves, I'll be sure to check the solenoid.

I was planning on replacing the spark plug anyway when I did a number of other repairs/mods, so I'll deal with the carb as necessary if it's running lean.

1998 Savage, Aztec Orange (so the rescue crew can find me, if I get lost at sea).
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #20 - 09/07/09 at 08:45:50

muffler gets hot enough to take the skin right off you.... ask me how I know...
It's normal,  look at car mufflers.... ten feet back fron the engine and super hot... just normal...

It doesn't mean you're lean,... pipes can blue from running rich too... it just means you've been running bad or running hard...
Mine blued after I had the petcock problem,...

Still blue now,... I think it's pretty.... Huh

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

Reply #21 - 09/07/09 at 09:57:30

He said even the muffler is blue.
Gotta get a look at that plug.

IP Logged
King Kashue
YaBB Newbies

We can't stop here!

The City of the Angels
Reply #22 - 09/07/09 at 22:28:38

Serowbot wrote on 09/07/09 at 08:45:50:
It's normal,  look at car mufflers.... ten feet back fron the engine and super hot... just normal...

But car mufflers aren't baffled, motorcycle mufflers are.

Quote:
It doesn't mean you're lean,... pipes can blue from running rich too... it just means you've been running bad or running hard...
Mine blued after I had the petcock problem,...

As noted, it's not just the pipes (which is pretty normal, from everything I've seen and heard), but the muffler as well.  It's pretty seriously blued.  I had suspected it was running a bit lean, and the bluing built up over time, but that might not be the case.

I was planning on changing the plug anyway, so it's just another thing on the list of tune up/blank slate repairs to do with the new (old) bike.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/22/24 at 07:22:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Stalling when warmed up/riding.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.