Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally took the MSC today! (Read 130 times)
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Finally took the MSC today!
08/08/09 at 20:01:21

I shouldn't have put it off - I took the "experienced riders" version, since I've got 3 yrs and 12,000 mi. in now.

definitely worth it - chance to brush up the skills, increase confidence, and pick up a few new skills.

To any of you in PA who haven't taken the FREE course (ok it's not REALLY free - you paid for it when you got that $10 MC permit) - I highly reccomend.  

It was also quite a lot of fun!  zipping around a skills course with a bunch of guys who like to ride... met some new people - talked about our rides.

Instructor asked me what year my bike was. I said 07, he says "07  or '87 ?  that looks like an older bike! " Told him Iwas old school! Wink

the other guys there were mostly on sport bikes - so i couldn't brag about my top speed, but i did use the line somebody said on here

"it was only $4000 brand new , and I can fix it myself!!"

I also blew them away on the figure 8's - WAY more manueverable at low speeds Wink

2007 s40 -stock -white spacer out -repaired to rideable condition!
  IP Logged
Tonydtiger1971

Yet while we were
sinners Christ died
for us

Dawsonville, GA
Re: Finally took the MSC today!
Reply #1 - 08/08/09 at 21:59:32

Awesome, I don't think we have free one's around here anymore.  Beginners pay $250 and experienced pay $100.

For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God: For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Tonydtiger1971 rgiskardrentlav@yahoo.com   IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #2 - 08/09/09 at 20:13:06

I also took the Experienced Rider Course this year.  It was worth taking, but no where near as good as it could and should have been.  One example...the swerve was slow, swerve, stop.  I think it would have been much more valuable if it had been swerve, straighten, stop, which is much more like a real life emergency situation.  Many other things were taught that I feel were mediocre.  I'm not a fan of the Motorcycle Sales Foundation.*

Look into Lee Parks Total Control Advanced Riding Clinics.  That's my plan for next summer.

In the meantime, you might do some reading.  I've found the books by Lee Parks and David L. Hough, as well as James Davis' web site to be extemly helpful.  I prefer either of Hough's "Proficient" books, both are much alike.  Check your local public library and ask for an interlibrary load if they aren't in the collection.

*The Motorcycle Safety Foundation and the Motorcycle Industry Council are both 501(c)6 nonprofit business leagues required by law to further their basic business...which is motorcycle sales.  The MIC is funded by the motorcycle makers, and the MIC and MSF share an office and staff.  The MSF lost a lot of their supporters and most skilled instructors when the courses were dumbed-down a few years ago.  If more riders pass the state approved course, no matter how whimpy the course is, more bikes are sold and the motorcycle makers are somewhat inoculated from liability from crashes and claims of bikes sold to untrained and unsuspecting customers.
http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/proficient_motor.asp

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #3 - 08/10/09 at 05:02:15

Even as a moto novice I was quite disturbed at how relatively easy the basic course was.  I'm not going to spring for the MSF advanced, but likely will save up for a track course on advanced training sometime next year.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #4 - 08/10/09 at 18:11:42

PTRider - thanks for the advice - i have read hough's proficient Motorcycling and found it useful.  i might check into the lee parks course you mention..

I did think the ER course was pretty helpful, though.  certainly better than nothing!  can't speak to the basic course since i didn't take it.  

did you take the course in PA also? or is it the same course in multiple states?  

- another thought - probably varies with the instructor

IP Logged
PTRider

Reply #5 - 08/10/09 at 20:14:15

Not PA.  My instructors were dedicated, hard working, courteous, and  followed the MSF Rider Classroom Cards very closely.  I felt that they were trained to follow the very limited curriculum with nothing else to add.

You will likely like Lee Parks book.  I've found it very useful.  It follows the same cornering techniques as Hough's, but while Hough is extensive on city and highway tactics, Parks is much more thorough on cornering technique.

IP Logged
runwyrlph
Serious Thumper

Semper ubi sub ubi

pa
Reply #6 - 08/11/09 at 12:37:03

will definitely look into that

- thanks

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 12:26:05

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Finally took the MSC today!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.