Send Topic Print
engine stops !!?!? (Read 126 times)
maephisto
YaBB Newbies

ride ride ride!

Europe
engine stops !!?!?
08/08/09 at 13:20:40

Well this is the given fact : today my engine stopped while riding on the highway and refused to start again. It was on  ON at that moment. I stopped on a side of the road and switched to PRI : the engine started  with no problem. After a few kilometters, i switched back to ON and the engined worked all the way back home as it was supposed to : good!!
It happend three times, once yersterday, and two times today preety much in the same conditions. Do you have any ideea what might be the cause?
Thanks a lot!

1998 Suzuki Savage.
maephisto marius.mc1 my_sky_mc   IP Logged
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Re: engine stops !!?!?
Reply #1 - 08/08/09 at 13:31:43

Check vacuum line. It is probably cracked. When you check, make sure there is no fuel in the vac line, if there is you have a faulty petcock, if not, it is probably just a bad vac line.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
maephisto
YaBB Newbies

ride ride ride!

Europe
Reply #2 - 08/09/09 at 01:31:13

Yonuh Adisi FSO wrote on 08/08/09 at 13:31:43:
Check vacuum line. It is probably cracked. When you check, make sure there is no fuel in the vac line, if there is you have a faulty petcock, if not, it is probably just a bad vac line.

i'm a beginner in the moto life, so i don't realy know how to check/wich is the vacuum line. Could you be more specific?
thanks a lot!!Smiley Smiley

1998 Suzuki Savage.
Yonuh Adisi FSO
Serious Thumper

Savage Jedi (Knight)

Pilot Valley NV, aka Tatooine
Reply #3 - 08/09/09 at 09:41:40

The vacuum line is the small line from the petcock to the right side of the carburetor, usually surrounded by what looks like a chrome spring. If that line has cracks in it it will cause the symptoms you describe.

Check out Flight of Destiny http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9130XC
  IP Logged
verslagen1
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

Where there's a
will, I want to be
in it.

L.A. California
Reply #4 - 08/09/09 at 10:05:43

Hey maephisto, searched thru your posts to find out you have a '98.
Put some info in your sig line like yonuh and myself and it'll save us alot of time, please.
Most likely the lines have never been replaced on the bike.
change the fuel and vacuum lines to the carb as a safety item every few years, 5 at most.  The vac line is sensitive to any leaks and will shut off the petcock.  This is even worst going uphill at WOT just when you need full flow the most.
If the vac line is a little loose, either replace with a tighter line or use hose clamps.

WWW   IP Logged
maephisto
YaBB Newbies

ride ride ride!

Europe
Reply #5 - 08/09/09 at 13:52:37

verslagen1 wrote on 08/09/09 at 10:05:43:
Hey maephisto, searched thru your posts to find out you have a '98.
Put some info in your sig line like yonuh and myself and it'll save us alot of time, please.
Most likely the lines have never been replaced on the bike.
change the fuel and vacuum lines to the carb as a safety item every few years, 5 at most.  The vac line is sensitive to any leaks and will shut off the petcock.  This is even worst going uphill at WOT just when you need full flow the most.
If the vac line is a little loose, either replace with a tighter line or use hose clamps.

I got the same problem today, when going downhill...
Thanks, I'll check the vac line and hopefully make it all ok.

1998 Suzuki Savage.
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #6 - 08/09/09 at 20:55:12

How close to needing gas is it? Pointed down a long hill, the pickup is not getting much gas if its already low. But, it would take a pretty long grade for the bowl to run out.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
maephisto
YaBB Newbies

ride ride ride!

Europe
Reply #7 - 08/09/09 at 22:56:52

justin_o_guy2 wrote on 08/09/09 at 20:55:12:
How close to needing gas is it? Pointed down a long hill, the pickup is not getting much gas if its already low. But, it would take a pretty long grade for the bowl to run out.

well, the slope was more than 10% , and in the tank there were about 4,5 litres of gas. but this happened before also, when i wasn't going downhill, but curiously, it just came to me, the engine stops only when slowing down...

1998 Suzuki Savage.
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #8 - 08/10/09 at 08:09:14

Every time I see "Stops on decel" I think of idle speed. That wont fix your problem of shut off & wont start, but make sure its high enough to keep the top end oiled well.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 23:26:28

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › engine stops !!?!?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.