Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
That clunky front end feel, squirm.  Normal? (Read 195 times)
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

That clunky front end feel, squirm.  Normal?
08/08/09 at 10:31:43

I noticed this morning again that the rear suspension is OK.  Went through rough road, winding turns, some highway cruising at 60.  Just a variety of things.  Have it set on 2 and it's OK in back.

The front is a different matter.  

Stock front end 2007 11,000 miles, fresh fork oil, head bearings are fine, new Pirelli MT66, dynabeads.  Tire rolls very nicely, no balance problem.  What I do have are two possibly unrelated things going on.  That may be normal.  First, the bike is a little squirmy sometimes.  Just has a small scale instability feel, especially entering corners before roll on, but also on smooth straight roads.  Just this little wandering, slightly loose feel.  Second, the ride is marginal on the front.  Broken surface feel.  Rough.  Chunk chunk chunk rather than smooth and supple.  It's my largest concern with the bike.  If I can't fix it, I'll sell it.

I'm thinking these may all be related.  I can feel overall fork flex, which isn't bad really.  I think I might be able to feel the fork torsion a bit if I wedge the front wheel and lean on the bars a little.  I'm thinking the two legs bend independently, creating or amplifying squirm.  And that this twist and the bend could be binding the forks or creating resistance just for a moment.

If that model for the clunky feel is correct, I suspect one of those fork brace things would fix most of it.  Am I possibly correct in this?

Or do these symptoms sound like something else is wrong?  The forks are assembled per the manual and how they came apart for oil replacement.  

Thanks much for any suggestions.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Re: That clunky front end feel, squirm.  Normal?
Reply #1 - 08/08/09 at 10:44:27

Do you have a front fender?... It has some bracing built in to it.
If that's not enough for you,... you may need a T-Kat fork brace...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #2 - 08/08/09 at 11:32:32

Even gentle riding will be different with a fork brace. It will just feel more sure footed. Sure 'nuff, if you like playing Ricky Road Racer in the corners, the difference will be very noticeable.T-Kat costs less & is a macho look, I think on some of the modded up bikes, it looks great. Even on the stockers, theres no problem with the look, purely a matter of what YOu like. Superbrace is cleaner, streamlined & a bit pricey. Id have that T-Kat, if I hadnt been treated so very well on the Superbrace. It was one of those deals a guy just simply does not turn down..& I thank that dude.

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
seviersavage

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Smoky Mountains Tennessee
Reply #3 - 08/08/09 at 11:47:38

voldigicam,
I've got a fork brace and your welcome to try out how it feels on my bike.
Seviersavage

IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #4 - 08/08/09 at 12:38:53

Yeah.  I can try sevier's.  Coming with us tomorrow?  Cherohala to Hoopers Bald?

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: That clunky front end feel, squirm.
Reply #5 - 08/08/09 at 12:55:38

I think the front end is to light,More of the weight is on the rear of the bike, other bikes are more balanced,I have a super brace it helped,My wifes 1980 GN 400 Suzuki was more stable. A bigger tire in front I think would help to slow down the steering.She drove the bike 24000 miles didn't do any thing but change the oil,No problems at all with the bike.Iv'e had 13 difference bikes the s40 is most unstable bike I every had, Its good up to 60 mph, I want ride freeways with it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/08/09 at 13:07:44

There, that jives with my experience.  At 60, I find myself leaning as far forward as possible to reduce my body lift and put a little more weight forward.  The difference in stability is clear.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Re: That clunky front end feel, squirm.
Reply #7 - 08/08/09 at 13:17:09

I've leaned forward too and it helps,So to me it is the light front end.putting the shocks on full stiff helps to put the weight forward but then it rides to hard.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #8 - 08/08/09 at 13:21:47

Check your air pressure. Mine tends to "wander" when the tire pressure is low.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #9 - 08/08/09 at 13:27:37

Its snot the air pressure.And not the R66 tires,I but them on mine Suzuki 1500 they are must better than the higher priced Bridgestones that come on it.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #10 - 08/08/09 at 13:27:40

I run 29 psi / 33 psi per the manual.  Something more make sense?

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #11 - 08/08/09 at 13:34:49

Hey Bill,

I put a load on my bike( 6'1" at 230). I guess that helps me on the stability. I could stand to lose a few Undecided

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #12 - 08/08/09 at 13:57:13

I been working out and ride bicycle every day 5 miles I'm down to 154 at 5'6',My heaviest ever was 172. I can see a heavier rider might hold it down.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
voldigicam

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #13 - 08/08/09 at 14:11:35

Yes, that could account for a good deal of experiential difference.  I'm 170 dressed, 5-10.5.  So I offer a pretty good wind target.  50 mph I really start to notice the lightness.  Although I get chatter at all speeds.

My front tire runs hotter than I expected.  I'm a bit reluctant to use more air.  Doesn't look like much of a contact patch as it is.

2007 S40
2003 Volusia 40th Ann.
Friendsville, TN
  IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #14 - 08/08/09 at 14:37:40

Do you have the pullback bars?... It could be wind buffeting against your shoulders,... mine used too... less now with drag bars and straight risors...

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 16:14:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › That clunky front end feel, squirm.  Normal?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.